Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We pay to get Zegras and to unload Josh.

We keep the Montréal 2024 1st, get our final piece, and contend we two very good lines
Problem is the trade does very little for us….

We’re in the same spot as Canadians looking for moves to help us contend as soon as next season…. Trading a potential star forward for a bunch of scraps isn’t really a step in the right direction

Reactions: Bluenotes27

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
what's your point exactly then? you asked why he's available, then you dismiss the reasons he's not available.
Not really. I just pointed out that those who claim he was available and those who claim he wasn't are pretty much both out to lunch.

No one really has a clue one way or another.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I don't think Zegras is the kind of players Mtl need. Yes they need offence but they need more of a north/south type of players with size like Lindstrom

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
2024 Winnipeg #1st
2025 Calgary #1st
2025 Montréal #1st unprotected
Justin Barron
Josh Anderson

for

Trevor Zegras

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Zegras - Dach
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Harvey-Pinard - Dvorak - Evans
Yea that's a big no for me. Habs would want Zegras but shouldn't overpay for him.

Play Dach at center with Newhook and Roy on the wings. Evans as the 4c and pick up a 3C UFA if Dvo leaves.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yea that's a big no for me. Habs would want Zegras but shouldn't overpay for him.

Play Dach at center with Newhook and Roy on the wings. Evans as the 4c and pick up a 3C UFA if Dvo leaves.
I feel like that’s a 1st to get rid of Anderson
Barron who is a scrap piece for Montreal
2 firsts that in theory are playoff teams

Not really much of anything, easy pass for Anaheim… we’re trying to move forward next season not backwards and that’s a whole lot of backwards
Yeah, that'll be good news for the future of that franchise. :laugh:
He’s def the heart and soul of the team, and I think if he is made captain he’ll thrive at it and take it seriously

I don’t think he’ll get it this year but based on his growth defensively and with maturity …. I think he’s def an option at some point.

He takes accountability for his immaturity, but he also a great teammate and willing to do what’s needed to better the team.

The people that hate zegras cause he’s having fun on the rink are in for a rude awakening the next year or 2 when he starts to really hit his potential

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Unless the Ducks get Celebrini this year, there is no imminent Zegras trade coming and even if they got Celebrini (with the presumption that Anaheim would trade an excess young forward for a good defenseman) the Ducks would still likely wait and see what they have with Carlsson, Celebrini, McTavish, Zegras, Colangelo, maybe even Sidorov if he adapts well at the next level.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s def the heart and soul of the team, and I think if he is made captain he’ll thrive at it and take it seriously

I don’t think he’ll get it this year but based on his growth defensively and with maturity …. I think he’s def an option at some point.

He takes accountability for his immaturity, but he also a great teammate and willing to do what’s needed to better the team.

The people that hate zegras cause he’s having fun on the rink are in for a rude awakening the next year or 2 when he starts to really hit his potential
I'll be waiting for that potential because he's earned nothing at the NHL level thus far and has made his name entirely off of a trendy hotdog move that contributed absolutely nothing towards team success.

When all is said and done, I think he ends up as a good secondary support forward. I think Anaheim is looking at their options because they realistically don't see themselves giving him his next contract.

Taking the captaincy seriously? He should focus on playing his game more seriously next year. If that's your heart and soul player, that team's got problems.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'll be waiting for that potential because he's earned nothing at the NHL level thus far and has made his name entirely off of a trendy hotdog move that contributed absolutely nothing towards team success.

When all is said and done, I think he ends up as a good secondary support forward. I think Anaheim is looking at their options because they realistically don't see themselves giving him his next contract.

Taking the captaincy seriously? He should focus on playing his game more seriously next year.
He has done that this season

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Fans are mostly clueless when it comes to trades. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Also GMs are pretty smart guys. He cant come out and say he is looking to deal a guy. Maybe he isnt but there are tons and tons of examples of a GM saying something and doing the opposite very soon after.

Even if we somehow accept that Zegras is in fact being actively shopped behind the scenes, and that the Ducks are done with him ...

... why on earth would they trade him for multiple picks/prospects who are unlikely to be any better than their already deep system that is set to add another top 5 pick and 6 additional picks in the first 3 rounds this year? Or who would be buried behind what they already have? Or would be easily topped by other teams' offers?

For example, looking at the late 1st Jets pick ... it's not worthless, but in scanning the list of teams with a higher pick I can immediately spot 10+ teams who would obviously want Zegras for their pick, either because they're rebuilding and are pretty thin on young future scorers, or they're a playoff team who might have older scorers aging out or who make way more money or just need a little more offense. So why would the Ducks settle for the Jets' pick? But then, why would they settle for a mid to late 1st as the best piece at all? They're highly unlikely to get anyone better with a mid 1st or later ... especially in a draft like this. Not even sure I like the offensive talent available by late in the top 10.

You gotta look at needs for Anaheim. They're not desperate for prospects or picks, the cupboard is far from bare. If they do want to trade Zegras, it does not make sense to trade him for picks/prospects. If anything they're deep enough in their system now to package Zegras with multiple picks and decent prospects and go after a big fish (whether it be a star forward or dman), and STILL be well stocked at all positions. Hell, what would Zegras PLUS their top 5 pick score them? They could legitimately do that and still be in great shape moving forward with all their current young NHLers, 6 more picks in the top 70-ish this year, and still have a strong and deep farm system. I guarantee you there would be someone out there willing to trade a serious serious player for just those two pieces alone. Far preferable to any magic beans Mtl fans seem willing to part with.

Reactions: Daz28

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not really. I just pointed out that those who claim he was available and those who claim he wasn't are pretty much both out to lunch.

No one really has a clue one way or another.
Then why post on here? Literally none of us know anything lol. All you’re doing is dismissing what Ducks fans say about the player and team we actively follow. By your logic there’s no reason for this board to exist lol

Taking the captaincy seriously? He should focus on playing his game more seriously next year. If that's your heart and soul player, that team's got problems.
Tell me you’ve never watched zegras play without actually telling me.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Didn’t caufield have a solid playoff run when he went, for his age

And where is the proof of zegras having a loser mentality…. When he literally carried usa to a gold at world juniors…. He hasn’t gotten a chance to play meaningful games in the nhl yet…. So I dont get how so many people claim to know how hell be in those games.

I noticed you used marner…. Why not kane/kucherov? Do those types of skilled guys not help your point?

There’s no reason caufield and zegras can’t be good playoff players, both are still young…. And considered developing other aspects of their game
I didn’t mentioned kucherov and Kane becomes this has nothing to do with skill.
The players I mentioned are are criticized for character and their 1 dimensional play styles.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The players I mentioned are are criticized for character and their 1 dimensional play styles.
So was Patrick Kane and kucherov when they were younger

And I don’t think people criticize caufield or zegras for character issues.

I can’t speak for caufield cause I don’t watch Montreal much but zegras has put in work defensively to be a more complete player

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
No one have criticized Caufield character

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Then why post on here? Literally none of us know anything lol. All you’re doing is dismissing what Ducks fans say about the player and team we actively follow. By your logic there’s no reason for this board to exist lol

Tell me you’ve never watched zegras play without actually telling me.
Thats not what I said.

Its certainly fun to discuss and debate but some fans on both sides are claiming their opinion is fact 100% and I just pointed that out as nonsense.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No one that has played with Zegras or has coached him has criticized his character but who gives a f*** right?

All we need is random sources to speculate about Caufields character and here we are.
Serevalli needed clicks/attention again and here we are.

Zegras is a hot topic around the league, it generates chatter, so he's an easy target in that sense. IIRC Pat in his most recent interview talked quite well about Zegras( not that he's been super critical about him, ever).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see a Zegras trade this summer unless the Ducks feel like they are getting the return they want. They have time to sort this out in terms of Zegras being a part of their future plans or not.

Habs would like to acquire via the Romanov/13th/Dach flip but those are circumstantial trades. It really comes down to if the Ducks want to move on and what they feel is the right return.

I'd consider the 5-7 OA for Zegras flip (after lottery). That's the best piece I would offer and no, I would not trade Guhle or Slaf. If that don't work for the Ducks, that is OK. Habs are interested but not desperate. Most Habs fan say we need skill up front but also grit as well. Zegras is not trending well but he still got value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Serevalli needed clicks/attention again and here we are.

Zegras is a hot topic around the league, it generates chatter, so he's an easy target in that sense. IIRC Pat in his most recent interview talked quite well about Zegras( not that he's been super critical about him, ever).

The context is deeper than that so I would not brush it under the rug too much. However, It's very possible Zegras stays and has a good season next year and people laugh at all the talk going on now. That's basically the angle the Ducks fans are taking and it's reasonable but no one knows how this will play out. We are all guessing.

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't see a Zegras trade this summer unless the Ducks feel like they are getting the return they want. They have time to sort this out in terms of Zegras being a part of their future plans or not.

Habs would like to acquire via the Romanov/13th/Dach flip but those are circumstantial trades. It really comes down to if the Ducks want to move on and what they feel is the right return.

I'd consider the 5-7 OA for Zegras flip (after lottery). That's the best piece I would offer and no, I would not trade Guhle or Slaf. If that don't work for the Ducks, that is OK. Habs are interested but not desperate. Most Habs fan say we need skill up front but also grit as well. Zegras is not trending well but he still got value.
Fair post….

As to not trending well, I’d disagree.

Injury, missed camp, new system and bad puck luck really hurt his production, but he improved a lot in terms of defensive play and competing in all 3 zones (which are areas he wanted to work on).

But really you’ll have a hard time finding any duck fans that were disappointed in his season, he improved where he needed to, and even tho the production wasn’t up to his standard he was still our most dangerous player on a nightly basis, and constantly making plays despite the production not being there.

Once he came back from injury, he ended the season 8 points in 11 games, if you account for a little game rust… he was 8 and 8 and was looking like the potential star we all know and love.

Barring injuries, he’s gunna have a big season next year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair post….

As to not trending well, I’d disagree.

Injury, missed camp, new system and bad puck luck really hurt his production, but he improved a lot in terms of defensive play and competing in all 3 zones (which are areas he wanted to work on).

But really you’ll have a hard time finding any duck fans that were disappointed in his season, he improved where he needed to, and even tho the production wasn’t up to his standard he was still our most dangerous player on a nightly basis, and constantly making plays despite the production not being there.

Once he came back from injury, he ended the season 8 points in 11 games, if you account for a little game rust… he was 8 and 8 and was looking like the potential star we all know and love.

Barring injuries, he’s gunna have a big season next year

There is no way to spin this, Zegras's trade value today is not the same as it was last year at this date. Context/excuses can be talked about yes. It's fair to assume a rebound and it happens but it doesn't always happen 100%. He's a skilled young forward no doubt.

However, at the end of the day, it's the Ducks who decide on his value and if they trade him or not. It's not like he is a pending UFA or something like that.

Maybe the Ducks/Habs circle back after a year of more evaluation on Zegras and the Habs youth we might trade. It's an interesting case and the Zegras trade talks won't go away (like or not)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The context is deeper than that so I would not brush it under the rug too much. However, It's very possible Zegras stays and has a good season next year and people laugh at all the talk going on now. That's basically the angle the Ducks fans are taking and it's reasonable but no one knows how this will play out. We are all guessing.

The context is

Zegras isn’t a pv player, speculation but not factual

Zegras wasn’t a pv pick, and since drysdale was moved people want to think zegras is next

Ducks have 4 top 6 centers potentially in carlsson zegras mctavish gauthier, plus maybe another this year…. So it’s a move form a posistion of strength potentially.

Contract negotiations and hold out…. pV wanted to send a msg that you are going to need to earn your money as a RFA…. And set the tone of his negotiations going forward(with a lot of young players signing in the next couple years)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad