Waived: Stu Bickel(Cleared);assigned to AHL

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
What does the 2 way contract have anything to do with? All it means is that Pickles gets less money for playing in the A.

Cause you don't have to put him through waivers if he has a two way contract. My point is if the Rangers were trying to spin that Bickel was being sent down to the AHL for conditioning; it doesn't make sense that he would go through waivers.

GarretJoseph*

A player who can "play" D & F with only a few days before the deadline. My bet is he gets claimed.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not suspecting he'll get claimed, it's just odd I think. Had they done it yesterday, he could've cleared today rather than waiting for Monday at noon (someone correct me if I'm wrong there).

If Bickel was on a one-year deal I could see a team claiming him. Versatile in the sense that he can play forward or D and can drop the gloves and handle his own. A few teams I'm sure wouldn't mind having a guy like that around as an emergency kind of player.

With another year left on his contract though? Don't think so.

Monday noon was the old rule. It's 24 hours now, no matter what day of the week. He will clear or be claimed noon tomorrow under the new CBA.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised to see Zucc back soon as a result of all this. My only issue with him is that he seems to want immunity against getting sent down. I read something about him not wanting to play in the AHL again. Frankly, nobody with as little NHL experience as he has deserves that sort of treatment.

The only immunity against being sent to the AHL is an NMC. Ony UFAs can get an NMC/NTC. Zucc wants a 1 way contract so that he will get paid the same whether he's in the NHL or the AHL. I don't think that's unreasonable, considering he'll probably have to take a pay cut to play in the NHL anyway.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Tweets from Gross:

"Bickel on being waived: 'It's been tough for me to get an opportunity and play any minutes on the back end to develop my confidence.'"

"Stu Bickel says it's 'Wait and see' for the next 24 hours. He won't comment further. Safe to say, though, he's hoping to be claimed."

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Cause you don't have to put him through waivers if he has a two way contract. My point is if the Rangers were trying to spin that Bickel was being sent down to the AHL for conditioning; it doesn't make sense that he would go through waivers.

2-way contract has nothing to do with waivers.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The only immunity against being sent to the AHL is an NMC. Ony UFAs can get an NMC/NTC. Zucc wants a 1 way contract so that he will get paid the same whether he's in the NHL or the AHL. I don't think that's unreasonable, considering he'll probably have to take a pay cut to play in the NHL anyway.

I must have misunderstood the article I read. It seemed to me like he didn't want to go to the AHL no matter what the money situation was. He didn't want "immunity" in paper so much as he seemed to be implying that he wasn't going to come back to NY unless he was sure that they wanted him on the Rangers and not the Whale.

If it's just a 1 way contract he wants, they should give it to him immediately and get him over here.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ

he still needs to go through waivers. he just gets paid less in the AHL

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Check again. 2 way contract has nothing to do with whether or not you have to go through waivers.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Tweets from Gross:

"Bickel on being waived: 'It's been tough for me to get an opportunity and play any minutes on the back end to develop my confidence.'"

"Stu Bickel says it's 'Wait and see' for the next 24 hours. He won't comment further. Safe to say, though, he's hoping to be claimed."

Develop confidence? I hope its not confidence in anything pertaining to hockey skills...

its more like "Its been tough for me sitting in the press box. My fists thirst for blood."

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well, this is getting interesting. I don't mind Bickel being waived, obviously, and I'm not too bummed about Halpern getting claimed, even though I thought he had been serviceable enough for his cap hit and role, but I have to wonder what the reason behind waiving them is. Is it a precursor to something? Is it just housecleaning?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Develop confidence? I hope its not confidence in anything pertaining to hockey skills...

its more like "Its been tough for me sitting in the press box. My fists thirst for blood."

Haha yeah I don't disagree, just thought they were interesting quotes. I didn't think Stu was bad as a fourth line forward, but he's going to have some real trouble trying to get consistent minutes on D almost anywhere in the league IMO.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He didn't want "immunity" in paper so much as he seemed to be implying that he wasn't going to come back to NY unless he was sure that they wanted him on the Rangers and not the Whale.

Maybe he did. But again, I wouldn't blame him. The guy has been a star in the SEL. He's playing and earning good money in the KHL. If I was him, I wouldn't want to be stuck playing in Hartford either. At this point, I don't see how it would benefit him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe he did. But again, I wouldn't blame him. The guy has been a star in the SEL. He's playing and earning good money in the KHL. If I was him, I wouldn't want to be stuck playing in Hartford either. At this point, I don't see how it would benefit him.

True. I don't blame him either, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame NYR for not wanting to give him that privilege. SEL or not, NHL is the big leagues and not everyone is cut out for it at all, let alone right away. If you want to stay up no matter what, play your best and make it impossible for them to send you down.

Of course, who knows if this is where all the waivers are leading? I'd like to think it's a no brainer to bring in Zucc considering how terrible the offense has been, but I've been wrong before.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bickel could get claimed. He is not making any money next season at $800,000. A pro-rated $700,000 for the rest of this season. $750,000 cap number is below the AHL threshold. $900,000 this season. $925,000 next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad