Rumor: Strickland: EDM has 7 and 8yr deals confirmed with Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I would rather pay Hyman an extra 400-500k a season and keep his contract shorter. 7 years is already 3 years too many. Wait till Wednesday and sign him then.

Reactions: Devonator

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Lets hope so..
Oil fans have been bitten plenty of times before... Jokinen,Strome, Lucic, Neal and now Kassian.
This will absolutely be a lucic situation.
It has nothing to do with bad luck. It’s the way they play. Bodies break down. Hyman has been a bandaid for 3 years. It only gets worse as you age.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Most people understand free is free and not free involves something in return.
The receiver of the gift determines the cost, why would you think it's to giver saying it's free? How would losing a 6th be seen as free from Holland's point of view. In this situation, Dubas is the receiver and it literally costs him nothing. Free asset was rejected though. Too bad about that pride.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
The receiver of the gift determines the cost, why would you think it's to giver saying it's free? How would losing a 6th be seen as free from Holland's point of view. In this situation, Dubas is the receiver and it literally costs him nothing. Free asset was rejected though. Too bad about that pride.
What's a 6th round pick anyway? People are so hung up on the fact that he won't help out Holland for a player that will almost guarantee never plan a NHL game ever?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, if it will cost him nothing. It would definitely be accepted. I can't imagine Holland would just give away an asset without expecting something or even a condition on it.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Team gets swept and all they do is replace Larsson with Duncan Keith and add Hyman. They are wasting two incredible talents.

I’m annoyed he hasn’t been as active on the trade front but I mean free agency hasn’t even started yet. No Oilers fan is happy with what Holland has paid for Keith or the contract he is giving Hyman but he had no control in Larsson leaving. We offered him several contracts and he chose to go elsewhere.

Hyman provides us with another top 6 forward. Keith is an upgrade over Jones or Russell on our second paring LD. Despite the cost, he has made us better in the short term.

Reactions: Dempsey

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would rather pay Hyman an extra 400-500k a season and keep his contract shorter. 7 years is already 3 years too many. Wait till Wednesday and sign him then.

for sure. But that extra 500k may come in handy each year trying to build a team around McDavid in his prime. Losing a 6th is next to nothing. 5.5 for 7 years. That may hurt.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
EDM needs the Leafs to do them a favour. Not the other way around.
The strawman fallacy is so strong here it’s not even funny. Oiler fans prefer the 7 year deal. As does Holland after Dubas tried to start a negotiation with Hyman already agreeing to 2 deals.

Reactions: nturn06

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What's a 6th round pick anyway? People are so hung up on the fact that he won't help out Holland for a player that will almost guarantee never plan a NHL game ever?
A 6th round pick is a 6th round pick which is more than nothing. No ones hung up about anything. Oilers walk and keep the 6th is the consensus from Oilers fans.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I’m annoyed he hasn’t been as active on the trade front but I mean free agency hasn’t even started yet. No Oilers fan is happy with what Holland has paid for Keith or the contract he is giving Hyman but he had no control in Larsson leaving. We offered him several contracts and he chose to go elsewhere.

Hyman provides us with another top 6 forward. Keith is an upgrade over Jones or Russell on our second paring LD. Despite the cost, he has made us better in the short term.
Keith also knows what it takes to win. What he doesn't provide on ice, he provides off the ice. Keith will likely be in the HHOF.

Reactions: McIce Whole

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
for sure. But that extra 500k may come in handy each year trying to build a team around McDavid in his prime. Losing a 6th is next to nothing. 5.5 for 7 years. That may hurt.

True but if Toronto has a higher asking price, it isn’t even worth it. 5 x 8 or 5.5 x 7 it ends up being roughly the same. I just fear Hyman after 4 years will have negative value.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Incorrect. They are competitors when bidding on free agents too. If Edmonton has less cap space for seven straight years it gives Toronto and every other NHL team an advantage.

fair enough… minor point but not entirely insignificant… 6th worthy

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
We will take the free asset and you can sign Hyman on Wednesday.

to be clear… is your argument that leafs would still save the oil cap by sign trade, but not until the 28th… to maximize the time another team could swoop in (and play on Holland’s confidence).

If so, ok… I get that. I don’t think it’ll work but only Holland and Hyman would know.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
to be clear… is your argument that leafs would still save the oil cap by sign trade, but not until the 28th… to maximize the time another team could swoop in (and play on Holland’s confidence).

If so, ok… I get that. I don’t think it’ll work but only Holland and Hyman would know.
No my argument is if the oilers are offering a free asset, they should separate it it from Hyman entirely.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Keith also knows what it takes to win. What he doesn't provide on ice, he provides off the ice. Keith will likely be in the HHOF.

This is a huge factor. I mentioned this on the Oilers board, targeting vets that know what it takes to win shouldn’t be a knock on Holland. They need more players like that, especially when you look at the play-ins and the previous playoffs.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At the expense of adding another year. Seems like leafs keep forgetting that to support their narrative.
By that point, McDavid and Draisaitl will no longer be the elite players they are now, which makes the 8th year of Hyman's contract pretty inconsequential. The Oilers window is during the prime years of McDavid and Draisaitl, and that's why have the extra cap space for the next 7 years is important.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the Oilers, everything should be focused on optimizing the team while McDavid and Draisaitl are in their prime years. That includes saving cap space on contracts wherever possible. Who cares what they are paying Hyman 8 years from now? By then, the Oilers' prime years with McDavid and Draisaitl will be over.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The strawman fallacy is so strong here it’s not even funny. Oiler fans prefer the 7 year deal. As does Holland after Dubas tried to start a negotiation with Hyman already agreeing to 2 deals.
There is no fallacy except the one in your head. If Holland doesn't need the leafs to help them, than why offer a draft pick? If Holland prefers the 7 year deal, why ask Dubas to do a sign and trade? It's because the 8th year is to the benefit of the team to lower the AAV and not the player. If it was inconsequential Holland would not have offered a draft pick.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Except the 8th year is just a tacked on for $1.5m to lower the AAV from $5.5M to $5M.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
With a flat cap $500k is huge. If it were me I would pay up to a 3rd round pick if that is what it takes.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Except the 8th year is just a tacked on for $1.5m to lower the AAV from $5.5M to $5M.

Which is too long of a contract, in my opinion. Hyman is already showing signs of injuries. I’m scared he will be done in 4 years. Having a broken Hyman for anything longer than that…yikes. The less term the better, IMO.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
By that point, McDavid and Draisaitl will no longer be the elite players they are now, which makes the 8th year of Hyman's contract pretty inconsequential. The Oilers window is during the prime years of McDavid and Draisaitl, and that's why have the extra cap space for the next 7 years is important.
You don't think McDavid will be an elite player at the age of 32? He probably won't be the best player in the world, but he almost without question will be an elite player still.

Reactions: nturn06

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
At this stage of his career he is bring more to the dressing room by far then he is to the ice, amd beleive it or not that's probably what the oilers need most anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad