OT: Strength Training / Exercise

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Knocked out 15 minutes on Mellow Johnny's Trail on the elliptical last night, feeling it this morning.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jogged/ran for the first time in over a month tonight. Frankly, I was planning on walking but felt rain drops and wanted to make sure I got it it. Did 4 miles at about a 7:50 pace, which, at my age I was quite happy with. I used to run with one of my sons, but the ****er now runs between 5-6 min. miles for that distance (oh to be young).

Am now using Red Wine as my post workout supplement.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I didn't want to wuss out, so I put in another 15 minutes. I think I hit 1 mile. Worthy of a HogWild, cheers.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Cool. Is your back holding out?

Haha yeah, I'm just posting to give myself some laughs, never understood the bro-gains culture.

I was actually doing pretty well prior to the move. My "goal" was to add to my chest whatever I lost in my waist, mainly to prevent my nipples from trying to avoid each other. Dropped about 1.5" from my waist (started ~34"), had only added ~1" to my chest, then the move drained all my energy so the chest took a backseat. Then I took a vacation to the beach, was introduced to Pirate Booty by my nieces, and drank.. a lot, so put an inch or so back on :) Hope now is to continue the suburban workouts, cardio, build back some core strength, get on skates again, and fight off the inevitable dad-bod when the baby comes in November.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Haha yeah, I'm just posting to give myself some laughs, never understood the bro-gains culture.

I was actually doing pretty well prior to the move. My "goal" was to add to my chest whatever I lost in my waist. Dropped about 1.5" from my waist (started ~34"), had only added ~1" to my chest, then the move drained all my energy so the chest took a backseat. Then I took a vacation to the beach, was introduced to Pirate Booty by my nieces, and drank.. a lot, so put an inch or so back on :) Hope now is to continue the suburban workouts, cardio, build back some core strength, get on skates again, and fight off the inevitable dad-bod when the baby comes in November.

First? or do you already have kids?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Jogged/ran for the first time in over a month tonight. Frankly, I was planning on walking but felt rain drops and wanted to make sure I got it it. Did 4 miles at about a 7:50 pace, which, at my age I was quite happy with. I used to run with one of my sons, but the ****er now runs between 5-6 min. miles for that distance (oh to be young).

Am now using Red Wine as my post workout supplement.

I don't like running at all. Maybe because of how much I had to in school lol.

When we meet the other season, you seemed in good shape. I'm working my way into it.

My waist was 4" bigger than my chest, I am now 2" bigger in my chest vs waist now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
First, baby girl. I've got 5 nieces and nephews under the age of 7, so I'm cautiously confident at this point. I'm guessing you'll start seeing plenty of 1-5am posts from me, though :loony:

congrats! Thankfully all my kids slept through the night at a pretty early stage. My kids are 17-20 in age now, so I'm long past the newborn/young age, but still fond memories. I will only give you one piece of advice. Enjoy it as you blink and they are grown up.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't like running at all. Maybe because of how much I had to in school lol.

When we meet the other season, you seemed in good shape. I'm working my way into it.

My waist was 4" bigger than my chest, I am now 2" bigger in my chest vs waist now.

Yeah, I honestly don't like running very much either. In terms of cardio, I prefer rollerblading, biking, elliptical, circuit training, etc... One of my sons is a big runner so I kinda got back into it because of him. As far as being in shape when we met, a lot of that has to do with my wife.

I think it's admirable that you are dedicated to getting in shape. My only advice is make sure you have a plan that is sustainable and something you can do into your later years.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah, I honestly don't like running very much either. In terms of cardio, I prefer rollerblading, biking, elliptical, circuit training, etc... One of my sons is a big runner so I kinda got back into it because of him. As far as being in shape when we met, a lot of that has to do with my wife.

I think it's admirable that you are dedicated to getting in shape. My only advice is make sure you have a plan that is sustainable and something you can do into your later years.

I'm doing it for my daughter. My wife and I are changing our lifestyles so that our daughter (and next kid in another year) will have that lifestyle growing up and will hopefully want to live a healthy lifestyle.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks fellas. Also, more people really need to consider that last line of yours BBA. I've got some friends hitting their early midlife crises and trying to get jacked, can't wait to see how that's going to turn out for them in 10+ years.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd rather be in a position to want to workout hard in my late 40's and beyond than to be in a position where I have to. Different strokes (stretch of a pun unintended).

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'd rather be in a position to want to workout hard in my late 40's and beyond than to be in a position where I have to. Different strokes (stretch of a pun unintended).

I'd rather be in a position to "never want" to work out. :) Seems really difficult with all the heavy breathing, groaning, and yelling.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Talking with some friends, it is interesting how people train for different things, then criticize how others perceive fitness.

My goal is using max force for 1 hour in the gym to move heavy objects. Some see being able to run 13.1, 26.2 or what ever as a fitness goal.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Talking with some friends, it is interesting how people train for different things, then criticize how others perceive fitness.

My goal is using max force for 1 hour in the gym to move heavy objects. Some see being able to run 13.1, 26.2 or what ever as a fitness goal.

Those are definitely very different goals. I'd ask you, what made you want to have your goal as "move heavy objects?" Any part of your work require you to do that?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

I'm not trying to criticize, I just don't get some of it. I have no qualms with what people decide to do with their bodies, particularly in any positive way. Some people just do it because they love to workout hard, and I respect that. Seems like quite a few do it under the guise of "fitness", yet spend a lot of their time posting ab mirror selfies and whatnot. I'm more interested in what the end game is for the bros and gainers.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree everyone has different goals and at different stages. When I was younger, more strength, and honestly, a better looking body, were on the top of my list. At this age, heart health/aerobic conditioning and flexibility are at the top of my list (while just maintaining strength).

On the flipside, I have a high school classmate that is still a bodybuilder that competes in competitions and has for years.

EDIT: and some workouts I love and some I hate.

I love rowing/kayaking (on a lake, not whitewater), rollerblading and hiking.
I like walking, biking, and working Chest and shoulders
I don't like swimming, running, working out legs, and abs (although I like it when I'm done)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not trying to criticize, I just don't get some of it. I have no qualms with what people decide to do with their bodies, particularly in any positive way. Some people just do it because they love to workout hard, and I respect that. Seems like quite a few do it under the guise of "fitness", yet spend a lot of their time posting ab mirror selfies and whatnot. I'm more interested in what the end game is for the bros and gainers.

Theory of stronger people are harder to kill and more useful. Of course I'd like to have a nice built body, but body building is different than strength training, though strength training will add muscle mass.

Think of moving your couch, or rearranging a room. Would you want a runner or a lifter helping you move heavy stuff?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I agree everyone has different goals and at different stages. When I was younger, more strength, and honestly, a better looking body, were on the top of my list. At this age, heart health/aerobic conditioning and flexibility are at the top of my list (while just maintaining strength).

On the flipside, I have a high school classmate that is still a bodybuilder that competes in competitions and has for years.

EDIT: and some workouts I love and some I hate.

I love rowing/kayaking (on a lake, not whitewater), rollerblading and hiking.
I like walking, biking, and working Chest and shoulders
I don't like swimming, running, working out legs, and abs (although I like it when I'm done)

I like doing low bar squats and deadlifts, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad