OT: Strength Training / Exercise

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I've been working out for almost 2 months now. So I am wondering what all of you 6'4" 240lb 4% body fat guys do?

I use a version of Mark Rippetoe Strength Guide, with modified sets and Arnold Press vs Military Press.

I take a multivitamin every morning, and creatine every evening, C4 Pre workout, protein post work out.

I've cut 4" off the waist and gained 10lbs so far. So, just wonder what yall do?

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Username checks out.

Kidding aside, I'm curious too. I've been scrawny all my life, and while I've occasionally tried lifting, it never seems to help much.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Username checks out.

Kidding aside, I'm curious too. I've been scrawny all my life, and while I've occasionally tried lifting, it never seems to help much.

I'm 34, and was under 175 up till 31. I'm at 220ish now (5'10).

The program is increasing my strength every week. It's linear development:

Though being small may be your metabolism that turned off for me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not one of those 6'4", 4% body fat guys and I'm at a point in my life where I'm not trying to build bulk, so you probably don't want to know what I do. Not that I can't build bulk, but overall strength, aerobic base, heart health, and flexibility are way more important to me now. I don't follow a specific plan/video/book, but created a routine with the help of my wife who was a personal trainer. I stick with a routine for about 4 weeks then switch what exercises I do.

I do some sort of cardio 3 days a week. I mainly rotate between elliptical (~40 min) and running (4-6 miles), but throw in other things if I get bored with those (biking, hiking, rollerblading, etc..). I then do weight/strength training 3 days a week making sure I cover each major muscle group at least twice a week within those 3 days. I also do core and stretching 2-3 times a week also, usually after the cardio, but sometimes with the strength training depending on time constraints. I then take 1 day off per week. On average, I end up working out between 45 min - 1hr15 min 6 days a week.

If it is a hard workout, I'll do a whey protein powder shake for recovery. My diet is pretty healthy so I don't take any other vitamins or supplements.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
My diet is Paleo / Primal based.

I only drink water, milk, and juicing sometimes I need to get better about.

I'm trying to add bulk and cut fat, which is working from shrinking my waist size, increasing my chest size and gaining weight.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Here's my routine, I also do cardio on off days, but nothing on Sunday for full recovery day.

Work Out A1:
Squats:
1x5@60% 5RPM (5 rep max)
1x5@80% 5RPM
3x5@100% 5RPM
Bench:
1x5@60%5RPM
1x5@80%5RPM
3x5@100% 5RPM
Barbell Row:
5x5@5RPM (adding weight every time)
Pull Up
3xmax

Work Out A2:
Squat:
1x5@-80lbs 5RPM
1x5@-60lbs 5RPM
1x5@-40lbs 5RPM
1x5@-20lbs 5RPM
1x5@+10lbs 5RPM (becomes new 5RPM for the next A1)
Bench:
1x5@-80lbs 5RPM
1x5@-60lbs 5RPM
1x5@-40lbs 5RPM
1x5@-20lbs 5RPM
1x5@+10lbs 5RPM (becomes new 5RPM for the next A1)
BB Row:
5x5@5RPm adding weight
Pull-up:
3xmax

Work Out B1:
Deadlift:
1x5@60%5RPM
1x5@80%5RPM
1x5@100%5RPM
Arnold Press:
1x5@60%
1x5@80%
3x5@100%
Chin-up:
3xmax
Dips:
3xmax

Work OutB2:
DL:
1x5@60%
1x5@80%
1x5@100%+10lbs (becomes new 5RPM)
AP:
1x5@-20
1x5@-15
1x5@-10
1x5@-5lbs
1x5@+5lbs
Chin-up and dips same

Week 1:
Monday A1
Wednesday B1
Friday A2
Week 2:
Monday B1
Wednesday A1
Friday B2

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I envy you who work out. I joined a gym 8 months ago, $49/month, and have been 4 times.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I envy you who work out. I joined a gym 8 months ago, $49/month, and have been 4 times.

I know what you mean. The only good thing that ever came of gym memberships for me is that's where I met my wife years back. Other than that, it was money wasted. Thankfully, our home gym is well stocked because that was my wife's job for a number of years and it has pretty much everything I need. Makes it a lot easier to get the workout out of the way first thing in the am.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've been very intrigued by supplements for a little while now, which seems kinda weird but I've learned a good bit and got to try a lot of products. Incorporating them into recipes to help reach daily goals is fun. I'm at a point right now where I'm pretty lean so I need to bulk and pack on some more muscle to get my weight up.

It's blown up recently, but if anyone is unaware of amino "spiking" in protein, read this. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmor...in-powders-lack-protein-ripping-off-athletes/ (For the record, I don't think MP, the brand in this article, is that bad. Muscletech, who make a protein blend called "Phase 8" is one of the worst.)

But third-party tests, attached to some of the lawsuits, show some companies also fill the tubs with far cheaper free form amino acids like glycine, taurine or leucine as well as other substances like creatine monohydrate, and then portray them as grams of protein on the products’ labels. Certain amino acids are considered the building blocks to protein but they are not protein by themselves, nor do they have the same benefits as complete proteins.

These filler substances can cost less than $1 per pound, allowing companies to undercut competition with lower prices and dupe price-sensitive customers in the process.

So for me, I stick to good brands I trust like Cellucor, Optimum Nutrition, and Dymatize.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I think the last time I lifted weights was about 5 years ago. I generally just run and do the occasional set of sit-ups and/or push-ups.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
What are the practical applications of lifting heavy things in modern day America?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
6'4", 235. Mostly beer wrapping my gut.

I found out tonight the quickest way to sweat it all out is to get talked into play A league with your boys in the summertime, when all the kids come back from juniors and ncaa.

Bad idea jeans.

I'm replacing it all with a beer shake right now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I've been working out for almost 2 months now. So I am wondering what all of you 6'4" 240lb 4% body fat guys do?

I use a version of Mark Rippetoe Strength Guide, with modified sets and Arnold Press vs Military Press.

I take a multivitamin every morning, and creatine every evening, C4 Pre workout, protein post work out.

I've cut 4" off the waist and gained 10lbs so far. So, just wonder what yall do?

Good for you, man.

Mods: please change thread title to "OT: Fitness Humblebrag"

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
What are the practical applications of lifting heavy things in modern day America?

Depends on your lifestyle. Are you a guy who sits in front of the computer every day at work or do you enjoy being active, even if it's just working in the yard.

The Ollie, I remember a post on Reddit that tested a bunch of those powders and came to the same conclusion. ON was one of the ones that came closest to what they promised while Body Fortress was one of the worst, but no surprise there. I've tried it, and it never sits well with me.

Lethargic, you really can't go wrong with Starting Strength but just understand for pretty much everyone but those just starting/untrained, it'll be impossible to build and cut at the same time. The body just doesn't work like that. You'll either stall on your lifts or the scale. I don't say that to discourage you, just a small warning to not give up when results don't come as fast.

Depending on the day and how insecure I feel, I'm either 5'11'' or 6'0'' and around 175 last I checked. I used to weigh myself every time I went to the gym, but I just don't care anymore. How I look in the mirror matters more. If I want some sort of numbers, then I'll break out my calipers and check the BF% (scales are notoriously inaccurate).

My routine that I created is basically Strong Lifts 5x5 with accessory work. I also do a bro split so I'm in the gym 6x a week. It helps me stay motivated because if I miss a day, then that muscle group is a week behind rather than just a few days. And really, the best workout is whatever you like to do that keeps you moving. All of the suggestions in this thread are good. I'd venture to guess that most of us have sedentary desk jobs, which, over the course of years, can take a real toll on the body. Anything to break that monotony is a must.

I wake up every morning at 5 and I'm in the gym by 5:30. My routine:

Monday (shoulders/arms):
5x5 OHP
3x8 Arnold Press
3x8 Delt Flys
3x8 DB Shrugs
3x12 DB Lateral Raises
3x8 DB Curls
3x8 Skullcrushers

Tuesday (legs):
5x5 Squats
3x15 Seated Calf Raises
3x8 Leg Press
3x8 Weighted Lunges

Wednesday (cardio/core):
15 min HIIT Cardio
3x40 Russian Twists W/ medicine ball
4:00 Plank (alternating sides every 45 secs)
3x20 Hanging Leg Raises

Thursday (chest/triceps):
5x5 Barbell BP
3x8 Incline Barbell BP
3x12 DB Chest Flys
3x8 DB BP
3x12 Skullcrushers
3x12 Tricep Rope Push down

Friday (back/biceps):
3x8 Barbell Row
2x5 Deadlift
2xF Pull-ups
2x8 Lat pull-down
3x8 Facepulls
2x8 DB Bent Over Rows
2x8 DB Shrugs
2x8 DB Curls
2x8 DB Hammer Curls

Saturday (cardio/core):
5km run
3x15 Ab Wheel
4:00 Plank
3x15 DB Side Bends

Obviously there are warm-ups in there (start every day lifting just the bar), and I didn't specify that some things are supersetted and others involve RPT but you get the idea. I switch up the accessories every now and then, but this is largely what works for me.

Finally, I do want to mention that there's a fitness board on HF. It's not terribly active, but it exists. You can find it on either page one or two, under "The Rink".

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
how to workout:

1) drink a beer
2) play a hockey
3) drink a beer
4) hit the showers (drink a beer)
5) go to bed

also at least walk for like an hour or something on days you dont feel like exercising. it is good to walk. listen to some music or a podcast or an audiobook and walk in the outside.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Some of us still do physical labor.

Also areas outside of work, being stronger and doing basic house work and yard work.

I'm also an outdoors person and would like to get back into hiking in the mountains.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Right now I am 5'10 220lbs. I changed my diet and dropped from 235 to 210, but gained 10 back in the last 6 weeks, but have cut 4" off my waist, gained every I want to gain.

I want to cut 6 more off the waist and keep adding strength.

Don't care about the weight number, mirror reflection is a better indicator for what I want.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Anyone in the trades, which is a pretty large sector of the workforce (myself included).

My brother was always super skinny, like 5'10 125lbs at 27. Had to see doctors to figure out why he couldn't gain weight and they could never give him an answer. Start taking his diet seriously and lifting religiously and he's over 150 now, has muscles in places I didn't know humans had muscles, and honestly scares me a little bit.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
how to workout:

1) drink a beer
2) play a hockey
3) drink a beer
5) go to bed

also at least walk for like an hour or something on days you dont feel like exercising. it is good to walk. listen to some music or a podcast or an audiobook and walk in the outside.

What about an active sex life? Doesn't that help?

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
how to workout:

1) drink a beer
2) play a hockey
3) drink a beer
5) go to bed

I don't play hockey or go outside, but I always substitute another beer for each of those things

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe I read his comment wrong, but I didn't think Wally was asking about the benefits of strength training in general, but more questioning the benefits/need to lift heavy weights for short reps vs. just general strength training.

Obviously there are many, many benefits of strength training for all aspects of life. I'm not smart enough to know the pros/cons of various types of strength training, I just know what works for me.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
how to workout:

1) drink a beer
2) play a hockey
3) drink a beer
5) go to bed

That was my exact workout routine for about 10 years, but eventually, as I aged and "life" got in the way so I was playing less hockey, it didn't work any longer. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad