OT: Strength Training / Exercise

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree with you other old farts. I'm in my early 40's, and I just want to keep playing hockey, skiing and be effective at work. I could care less what it looks like anymore, it is what it is. Just want to keep doing what I love.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That sucks about your back Rod. If your back can handle it, and you have access, a rowing machine is a great way to start building up strength and endurance in not only the back and legs, but the whole body. I recently acquired one and have started using it a couple of times a week.

This! I got a tracker for free and agree on the motivation part. My wife also turned me on to MFP around November and it was a bit of a challenge to get stuff in their the first month or so, but now I absolutely love it. While it hasn't made any earth shattering changes to my diet, it has caused me to make subtle changes to ensure I get the right mix on a daily basis. Big fan of MFP.

I'll look into it, thanks. I get $360/yr through work to put towards fitness equipment (or a gym membership, ha!), so that could be my next purchase.

And yeah, initially I figured using MFP would be a pain in the ass, but once you get a lot of the stuff you eat regularly on there, it's easy (that and being able to scan just about every food possible). Definitely made me realize how much my diet was lacking certain essentials (fiber, vitamin A and C, etc).

I used to think along those lines when I was younger, but now that I'm older, I don't see it that way. I have way more ability (financially and experience) to do things now that I could never do when I was younger. Also, now that my kids are older, there are so many more things we can do as a family that we couldn't when they were too young. Also, my wife and I have way more freedom to be able to get away and experience things on our own that we haven't been able to as we now have more free time. I don't see that changing as I age (health permitting). My father-in-law is in his 80s and still goes on fishing trips in Montana.

That's the type of outlook I appreciate. I said what I'm doing now is for aesthetics, but that's because all of my numbers are excellent. I just want to fight aging while I'm still relatively young (31) so it's easier to continue when I'm up where you old farts are :snide:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll look into it, thanks. I get $360/yr through work to put towards fitness equipment (or a gym membership, ha!), so that could be my next purchase.

My advice is look for a used, but high quality one. I've tried a lot of them and the Concept 2 (which is $900 new) is by far the best and will last you a lifetime. I had to wait a long time to find one used at a more affordable price, being the cheap ******* I am, but it was worth it IMO.

And yeah, initially I figured using MFP would be a pain in the ass, but once you get a lot of the stuff you eat regularly on there, it's easy (that and being able to scan just about every food possible). Definitely made me realize how much my diet was lacking certain essentials (fiber, vitamin A and C, etc).

I was struggling the most to get enough potassium. I now eat a lot more Avocados/guac, Salmon and sweet potatoes, all of which I love, so that helps me get enough. I was also shocked how much sodium is in foods that I never thought of having much sodium.

That's the type of outlook I appreciate. I said what I'm doing now is for aesthetics, but that's because all of my numbers are excellent. I just want to fight aging while I'm still relatively young (31) so it's easier to continue when I'm up where you old farts are :snide:

I admit that although it's not the primary reason, aesthetics/vanity do play a role. As I mentioned, my wife is very fit. She is in her mid-late 40s, gave birth to a couple of kids and yet, still has six pack abs..and I'm not just making this up. I have NEVER had six pack abs, and never will, but I don't want to be that guy where people see the two of us in public and say "What the hell is she doing with him?" :laugh:

weasel66

Son of a ****** Must
Feb 8, 2009
As a infrequent poster and mostly lurker and probably one elderly dudes on the board. (will be 50 next year)...

For those nervous about starting out at a gym the Y is a good alternative people of every level of fitness are there.

I cardio/lift 6 days a week (one muscle group per day) and play hockey badly on day 7.
My concession to getting old about 7 years ago was adding legs into my weekly strength routine so I could keep up with all the young whippersnappers on the ice.
It really has made a difference but how I hate squats so.

I do a body part a day never the same workout week to week i.e. change reps weight and order of workout each week so it doesn't get stale and your body can't adapt.

So put that in the circular file of useless info from an old guy who doesn't post hardly ever.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Old people doing stuff.

I'm looking at my routine and going to go back to Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength program. I was making good gains the way it was.

Really don't be intimidated by going to the gym. The big guys are nice people too, they started somewhere too. In 12 weeks I should have my squats around 250ish lbs. that to me is awesome. And my bench should be approaching 225ish.

If you are starting out, check out Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's a bit self-conscience/nervous about joining a gym. Listening to a wannabe bodybuilder go off on people that get intimidated by he and his fellow brahs really turned me off to the whole idea. I had forgotten about the Y though, seems like a pretty good suggestion.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's a bit self-conscience/nervous about joining a gym. Listening to a wannabe bodybuilder go off on people that get intimidated by he and his fellow brahs really turned me off to the whole idea. I had forgotten about the Y though, seems like a pretty good suggestion.

Study Mark Rippetoe guide, then when you learn to do proper lifts and progress from light weights, and you watch these "experts" doing crappy squats on a smith machine. Just laugh and keep going.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As a infrequent poster and mostly lurker and probably one elderly dudes on the board. (will be 50 next year)...

For those nervous about starting out at a gym the Y is a good alternative people of every level of fitness are there.

I cardio/lift 6 days a week (one muscle group per day) and play hockey badly on day 7.
My concession to getting old about 7 years ago was adding legs into my weekly strength routine so I could keep up with all the young whippersnappers on the ice.
It really has made a difference but how I hate squats so.

I do a body part a day never the same workout week to week i.e. change reps weight and order of workout each week so it doesn't get stale and your body can't adapt.

So put that in the circular file of useless info from an old guy who doesn't post hardly ever.

The Y or local rec center is great, I started there when I moved up this way. I changed to a more "hip" place a few months later but am considering going back because they actually had more variety that I used. It's usually much cheaper as well. Finding a cheap local pool, or a Y that has one with decent hours is huge. I don't think any one thing helped me more than swimming last time I got in shape. The last two years I lived in Denver I went to a nearby kinda ghetto rec center that had a pool and weight room. With my work discount I paid 12 bucks automatically deducted twice a month from my paycheck and got in great shape.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So with supplements:

I'm taking Fish Oil, Multivitamin, Creatine, and CLA (just started) daily, work out days: BCAA + Protien shake.

Hoping the CLAs help cut fat a little faster.

Working with a trainer now, helping my form and stuff. So hopefully I will see some better gains.

I stopped the C4 pre workout, the caffeine crash the day after sucks.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I've managed to cut 5"s so far and maintain 220lbs.

I want to cut about 5 more inches and maintain around 200lbs.

Calculating protein intake, I should be around 180 grams a day. So I am using protein shake for breakfast and later in the day to help maintain the levels needed.

Looking at pre work out, Dr Jekyll will be my next trial. I'm making decent gains in lifts, my left shoulder is still my point of weakness. Using Arnold Press and Military Press to exercise through it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So I tried the Dr Jekyll pre workout combined with BCAA and Creatine.

No jitters or hyper feeling, it's low stimulate, which was a plus for me.

I busted through my core work outs and had energy to burn, so I hit auxiliary exercises with in my muscle groups I worked to day.

So it keeps you going, I did my final burns on dips till I could go any more.

After workout, every muscle group worked is super pumped and solid. It feels like I added an inch of muscle in my thighs, chest and arms.

So far, I recommend Dr Jekyll for a pre workout supplement.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I went for a 5 mile walk tonight, and am topping it off with a red wine supplement. So far, I recommend red wine for a post workout supplement. I think I'll have a couple more glasses.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Deadlift is the most practical lift. What is more practical than picking something off the ground?

Squats helps the body produce HGH and Testosterone.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I feel like I'm at the point in my life where I need to start working out on a regular basis to not die. I just know it's going to hurt and I'm not looking forward to that. Sigh. This is going to suck. I don't even know how to work out anymore.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
my metabolism went to hell when i came down with Crohn's disease.

My usual weight is 190 and when I was sick in the hospital I came down to 144.

So now I have no metabolism and am pushing 200, which is bad.

So I've been working out all Summer hoping to get in better shape and it's been working well so far :)

Always appreciate tips for building more muscle. Also interested in reccomendations for protein shake/pre-workout for beginners and/or young folk.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You really can't go wrong with ON Gold Standard. Do not cheap out and get something like Body Fortress. There's a reason it's so cheap (lots of filler). I usually just drink it with water, but milk + banana is great if you want to be fancy.

As for pre-workout, I wake up to go at 5AM and really just need coffee and an apple, or sometimes also a greek yogurt if I have them in the fridge. My brother swears by C4, but that's just too much for me.

Vagrant, that's how I feel about running these days. But I just got back after a solid outing and it's put me in a great mood.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
As far as a routine, you can't go wrong with Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength.

To break it down.

Work out A:
Squats
Bench
Deadlift
Dips

Work out B:
Squat
Military Press
Bent Over Rows
Chin Up

Sets:
3x5 for Squat, Bench, Military Press, Bent Over Rows
1x5 for Deadlift
2x8 for Dips and Chin Ups

Start with the bar (45lbs) for the 3x5 sets except Deadlift 135 (bar + 45lb plate on each side)

Add 10lbs each work out for squat and Deadlift, 5lbs each work out for Press, Bench, Rows.

Week 1:
Monday A
Wednesday B
Friday A

Week 2:
Monday B
Wednesday A
Friday B

Once you can no longer add weight, unload 10% and then progress again.

Diet and sleep are the biggest to issues that would slow progression.

Proper form is the most important part of starting, and it's why it's low weight to start with.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
It's amazing how something as simple as walking can melt fat. I hit the gym when I can and take supplements, but my schedule is hard to make anything concrete or fixed. But I go for walks of a few miles every nite when the weather is good and while I'm still overweight, I have been losing weight steadily.

I think my ideal weight is probably around 240, so a ways to go yet, but I'm going in the right direction.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
For supplements what I use:

Daily:
CLA 1st am and before Bed
Creatine
Protein shake AM and before bed.

Work out day:
Extra dose of CLA, Dr Jekyll, and BCAA

CLA is a fat acid that binds with fat cells and make them smaller and easier for the body to process for energy, IE burning fat easier while being active.

Dr Jekyll, low dose of caffeine, but added creatine, and other things to push more blood and oxygen into the muscles.

The BCAA is an amino acid that helps the body with processing protein and helps prevent cramps. Some people drink pickle juice or mustard also.

Post work out I add more protein with my super.

You figure 1gram of protein per lb of weight. My goal is 200lbs at 10% body fat, I'm 22% body fat at 220lbs now.

So I try to intake 200gram of protein a day.

Creatine, no more that 6grams a day, off days I take 1/2 serving. But only like 5 grams on work out days.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
There is also an app for th starting strength to calculate warm up sets.

For instance if your squat 3x5 is 115.
2x5 of 45, 1x5 at 65, 1x3 at 85, 1x2 at 95, 1x1 at 110, then your 3 sets of 5 reps at 115.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
You really can't go wrong with ON Gold Standard. Do not cheap out and get something like Body Fortress. There's a reason it's so cheap (lots of filler). I usually just drink it with water, but milk + banana is great if you want to be fancy.

As for pre-workout, I wake up to go at 5AM and really just need coffee and an apple, or sometimes also a greek yogurt if I have them in the fridge. My brother swears by C4, but that's just too much for me.

Vagrant, that's how I feel about running these days. But I just got back after a solid outing and it's put me in a great mood.

C4 makes me pressure wash the back of the toilet. Dr Jekyll hasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad