OT: Strength Training / Exercise

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I left my recumbent exercise bike in NC when I moved here and I really miss it. I should poke around to find a good one used somewhere.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I bought one a few years back. Love it, but it is by far one of the most strenuous exercises I do. 15-20 minutes on that thing, if you row hard, is a killer even though I kayak frequently and go for hours. I know they are expensive, but don't buy a cheap one. I waited until I found a deal on a used concept 2 and have no regrets. I've tried a few other models and they don't compare IMO. That said, I haven't tried every model out there.

Yeah I haven't tried the concept 2 yet, but back when I was swimming at a high level a rowing machine was by far the machine I worked the most on outside the pool, followed by a leg press and a bike. That thing worked like nothing else to build what I needed for the IM, 100 and 200 Back, and the 100 and 200 Breast (the events you preverts). It's one of the more recommended workouts for people that have knee problems the way that I do so getting one would be pretty choice.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
tumblr_lctuwcOLqA1qzpn0wo1_r1_500.jpg

if this was true the world would be run a coup of south korean star craft players

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Rowing machines seem like one of the few pieces of equipment that could be considered a full body workout machine. Doesn't crossfit use rowing machines for some workouts?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't like machines, getting under a barbell or kettlebell works better, since you're working your stabilizing muscles.

So you are saying a rowing machine doesn't work your stabilizing muscles? If not, then you aren't doing it right.

Of course weights will be superior for muscle and strength gains, but when it comes to a full body workout that includes aerobic gains, a rowing machine is superior. I'm not suggesting you can't lift weights and separately do aerobic exercise, you very well can and that would be the best of both worlds, but if I only have 30 minutes, the rowing machine is the way to go. Legs, core, back, shoulders, arms, etc... all get into the act.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah a rowing machine is to a canoe as a treadmill is to jogging, I don't think the typical downsides to weight machines apply the same way.

That said, I am in 100% agreement with you when talking about Smith machine, all the various pulley machines, etc. No real upside except a more pure isolation, and even then you only really need that isolation if you're bodybuilding (once you've built up a solid strength base).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah a rowing machine is to a canoe as a treadmill is to jogging, I don't think the typical downsides to weight machines apply the same way.

Actually, what I've found is a rowing machine is more like sculling than canoeing or kayaking. Sculling is a continuous workout with no real rest and it engages legs, arms, shoulders, back, core, etc.. Kayaking/canoeing really doesn't engage the legs at all, and the core to a lesser extent as well, but I digress.

That said, I am in 100% agreement with you when talking about Smith machine, all the various pulley machines, etc. No real upside except a more pure isolation, and even then you only really need that isolation if you're bodybuilding (once you've built up a solid strength base).

Yah, I do get that. The only real advantage to machines is convenience. Some exercises where you are standing or away from the machine and only using cables, you don't get much isolation and can still get the benefit of stabilization such as some of the back exercises and tricep exercises for example, but overall, I prefer free weights, particularly dumbells over a weight machine.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Actually, what I've found is a rowing machine is more like sculling than canoeing or kayaking. Sculling is a continuous workout with no real rest and it engages legs, arms, shoulders, back, core, etc.. Kayaking/canoeing really doesn't engage the legs at all, and the core to a lesser extent as well, but I digress.

Yep, what he said, just couldn't think of the word so thought of a floating thing that you row.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Stronglifts was great for me, back when I gave a **** about my body.

It's been fantastic. I'm at 265x5x5 on squats past parallel and I'm still adding weight each workout. Plus it's fun to figure out all the motions and improve your form as you go along.

The app is the best $10 I've ever spent. The easiest "workout companion" type app I've ever used, substitutes bells and whistles for simplicity and takes all guesswork out.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So you are saying a rowing machine doesn't work your stabilizing muscles? If not, then you aren't doing it right.

Of course weights will be superior for muscle and strength gains, but when it comes to a full body workout that includes aerobic gains, a rowing machine is superior. I'm not suggesting you can't lift weights and separately do aerobic exercise, you very well can and that would be the best of both worlds, but if I only have 30 minutes, the rowing machine is the way to go. Legs, core, back, shoulders, arms, etc... all get into the act.

I'm talking Smith Machines in general

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad