Confirmed Trade: [STL/WPG] Paul Stastny (50% retained) for Erik Foley, 2018 1st round, 2020 conditional 4th round

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Foley may be a more valuable piece for STL, but he didn’t have a place in Winnipeg IMO. Although, the same can be said for Dano and Petan (personally I would like to hold on to Petan)
As a prospect Foley is still a promising kid with an unknown ceiling. Petan and Dano are 3rd and 4th year pros struggling for regular work at the NHL level. As a fan you prefer potential in this type of move.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
The Lou got a good one in Foley. He should be a safe bet as a bottom-6 forward with some top-6 upside if things break right. Extremely hard worker, great physicality if not great size. Very productive this year. There's a lot to like. The 1st is the 1st. Good return for the Blues faithful, I think.

I'm thrilled to get Stastny up north. Ideal kind of pivot that we were scouring the globe for.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Hope Foley turns out to be a decent bottom 6 player. He looks good from the videos I saw. Really like the Soshnikov kid they just got from Toronto too.
Seems like a safe bet he will be a solid bottom 6.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it’s an interesting approach from the Blues POV. Unloading Stastny is a sign from management that they’ve lost faith in the team, true, but this could get the remaining group to rally together and push hard for a playoff berth.

Let’s be honest here, as awesome as the trade deadline is a lot of the time for fans, many of these trades have relatively small impacts to the teams.

Someone will be promoted to fill Stastny’s void and sometimes prospects given that chance can really impress.

Yeah. I kinda wondered about a possible galvanizing effect. Brayden Schenn's comments on it were interesting. Obviously didn't take the news too well, but if they can turn that frustration/disappointment into a chip on their shoulder and play angry...there's an outside chance of waking them up i guess?

As a whole though, it's easy to take as management throwing in the towel on the season. Whether inspired by a poor run of play or not, players are going to notice when a team sells off a pretty important piece in the middle of a playoff race. Some committee of Barbashev/Sobotka/Berglund picking up the slack isn't the most inspiring, when the group was already fighting on the playoff bubble as is, with Stastny.

It's gotta be intimidating for management staring down the barrel of that Preds/Jets meat grinder, among others in the West. The fact that it was the Jets they dealt him to though, is i think the kicker. If they'd dealt Stastny out East it'd be one thing. But to make their direct rival even stronger? Yeeesh. That looks like a white flag going up.

Reactions: libertarian

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Schenn should realize that it isn't Armstrong who flushed the season down the toilet. How about a little effort? Might have helped.

Reactions: Dbrownss

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Stastny obviously never lived up to his salary but I did not realize 40 point centres are going for 1st round picks these days.

If you count injuries and don't pace out over an 82 game season sure call him a 40 point center who plays 60 games a year.

If you want to be realistic he's more of a 50-55 injury prone center who is phenomenal defensively and good on the draw. Two can play that game

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Not bad when teams covet your third rounders.

Colton Parayko says hi :naughty:

Apparently DA asked Walman about Foley and he gave him high praise. To go along with that he fits a hole for us down the road that is currently blocked at the moment in LW. Gives a good safety blanket if Fabbs isn't good when fully recovered

Reactions: allan5oh

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Colton Parayko says hi :naughty:

Apparently DA asked Walman about Foley and he gave him high praise. To go along with that he fits a hole for us down the road that is currently blocked at the moment in LW. Gives a good safety blanket if Fabbs isn't good when fully recovered
It was not really a claim of exclusivity of good drafting or that it means the Jets won the trade.

Reality is the Jets are in a position to move better prospects to attempt a run now.

The prospect pool is deep, and the current roster is playing great.

Giving up a third rounder who projects to be a good bottom 6, a 4th, and likely a late first when your team seems to find talent in all rounds is just fine with me.

The team needs playoff experience. Clear the Jets are trying to get as much as possible this year. To get that in a top 3 Centre who can also play the wing is fine with me.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Schenn should realize that it isn't Armstrong who flushed the season down the toilet. How about a little effort? Might have helped.

Schenn has been one of the few that we really can't complain about. During this stretch he is one of the few actually out there playing with emotion. There are quite a few Blues fans hoping he gets a "A" next year.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes, I agree. I had meant the team as a whole. Schenn is an excellent player.
Yep, they went from division leaders to on the outside in 2 months. With the Blues 1st top 10 protected....it's a safe bet to fold now and try to keep that pick. There's too many good players on this team to not come back strong next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad