Confirmed Trade: [STL/WPG] Paul Stastny (50% retained) for Erik Foley, 2018 1st round, 2020 conditional 4th round

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
WPG

3rd line
That chart clearly shows it's the 2nd line.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really refreshing to see and hear a NHL player waive his NTC to play in Winnipeg. I love the wry smile on Statsny's face when asked about playing with Laine and Ehlers.

As a guy heading to UFA, it's a chance to increase his value with a solid PO run. He hasn't produced up to his current contract.

If he wants to get term and dollars it's something he'll need to do. Plus, he's had some injuries as well. All about increasing your value.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Stastny has 46, 49, and 40 pts. the past three years. His production and health has gone down as he entered his 30's, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Those would not be his point totals if he had been centering Laine. Just defending Stas here...he never had a RHS one timer artist to feed in St. Louis. Also, he makes those points while playing one of the most defensively responsible games of any center in the league. St. Louis and Hitchcock in particular really placed a lot of responsibility on him to shut down the opposition's big line.

I have a feeling his point totals and, as a result, the amount he will command this summer, are going to get a slight bump. :)

The injuries have increased a bit as you pointed out. He seems to get dinged up at least once a year.

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
What is the consensus take on Foley from Jets' fans? How do you think he will develop and where would he fit many teams' forward groups? Does he have 40 or 50 point potential?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What is the consensus take on Foley from Jets' fans? How do you think he will develop and where would he fit many teams' forward groups? Does he have 40 or 50 point potential?

He is not without offensive upside, as shown by this season, but there hasn't been a long standing history of being a scorer.

He's not big but he plays big. Solid shot and a nose for the net. He will most likely drive play and he likes to shoot a lot. Whether he garners that scoring potential to be a mid-six winger rather than a 4th line grinder remains to be seen.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Plus the Blues are where offensive players go to die. They have traditionally played a very heavy, north south, and conservative style in St. Louis.
That's an odd thing to say considering how well guys like Tarasenko/Schwartz/Steen developed for the Blues. Schenn is also about to have a career year with the Blues.

Reactions: Colt55 and 67Blues

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The biggest winner in this trade is Foley himself. All he had to do is look at the Jets forward strength and just how young they are and he'd realize that he'd be an AHLer for years. He's better off in St. Loo.

He has a pretty good group of forwards in front of him in STL too. Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Thompson. All are top 6 caliber. And numerous middle six too with Barbashev, Sanford, Blais, Berglund, Steen, Sobotka, Soshnikov. Loads of talent there.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He has a pretty good group of forwards in front of him in STL too. Schenn, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Thompson. All are top 6 caliber. And numerous middle six too with Barbashev, Sanford, Blais, Berglund, Steen, Sobotka, Soshnikov. Loads of talent there.
I suspect come the draft your list will be a bit smaller (hopefully)

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
That's an odd thing to say considering how well guys like Tarasenko/Schwartz/Steen developed for the Blues. Schenn is also about to have a career year with the Blues.
Not really, all of those guys generate offense north and south. Steen in the biggest tweener of the group; Tarasenko is a straight line bull-see net shoot net, love him.

Cute offensive players have to play difficult minutes in St. Louis. Been that way since Turgeon/Demtra turned into a two way players.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
The reason is because two weeks ago they were well ahead of Dallas and Minnesota and the playoffs were all but locked up. In two weeks they've dropped out of the playoffs and have scored like 3 goals in 4 or 5 games. Something has happened to this team and it would be a disaster to miss the playoffs without a first.

Which is probably a reason too that Statsny waived?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
As a guy heading to UFA, it's a chance to increase his value with a solid PO run. He hasn't produced up to his current contract.

If he wants to get term and dollars it's something he'll need to do. Plus, he's had some injuries as well. All about increasing your value.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. It's smart from a business perspective, and I am sure he is excited to play with such talented wingers and have a legit shot at a Cup. All arrows point to this being a good deal for Stastny, the Jets and hopefully the Blues as well. Go win the Cup and bring that experience back to St. Louis next year, Paulie!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For the Blues, this was the kind of smart move you almost never see. Like Schenn said, it's odd to see a team so close to the playoffs virtually throw in the towel.

I know they could still make it, but this seems more like a sell-off than a switch up. Maybe they could have tried trading for a lesser asset after dealing Stastny for their big haul. Or maybe I suppose they might have a replacement in house?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really like how he looks between Laine and Ehlers. Not that he is carrying the line. But at times understated is better when you play with 2 players as dynamic as Ehlers and Laine. Statsny is like a glue guy. Very smart, moves the puck, is in the right place on the ice. He allows Ehlers and Laine touches, which is what you want when you play with players that want the puck on their stick. It's been interesting seeing how he fits in. Thus far, no complaints.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I really like how he looks between Laine and Ehlers. Not that he is carrying the line. But at times understated is better when you play with 2 players as dynamic as Ehlers and Laine. Statsny is like a glue guy. Very smart, moves the puck, is in the right place on the ice. He allows Ehlers and Laine touches, which is what you want when you play with players that want the puck on their stick. It's been interesting seeing how he fits in. Thus far, no complaints.

Glad he's doing well, he was one of my favourites when he was with the Avs. Very, very smart player and his passing abilities will be a huge boon for Laine.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Good to hear he won't shoot a lot. Generally defers to the pass. Was pretty decent around the net this year for us. He needed a RHS to open up his playmaking ability. We didn't have anyone that fills that role.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Let me say Foley was one of my favourite Jets prospects. That said, I am happy getting Stastny in the trade after the fallout of the attempted Brassard acquisition. Stastny is better.

I don’t know if he has 50 pt potential, but he will be a 35-40 pt player who is aggressive on the forecheck. Has a bit of bull in a China shop in him. Likes to shoot the puck and seems to drive play on his line. Always saw him as being a smaller version of Simmonds with less of a scorer’s touch, but maybe he can translate his goal scoring once he turns pro.

Either way I hope this trade returns a solid middle six forward for the Blues and a Stanley Cup for Stastny and the rest of the Jets.

CHEERS!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->