Confirmed Trade: [STL/WPG] Paul Stastny (50% retained) for Erik Foley, 2018 1st round, 2020 conditional 4th round

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I'm just surprised they sold Stastny middle of a playoff race.

The reason is because two weeks ago they were well ahead of Dallas and Minnesota and the playoffs were all but locked up. In two weeks they've dropped out of the playoffs and have scored like 3 goals in 4 or 5 games. Something has happened to this team and it would be a disaster to miss the playoffs without a first.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
If there was a 'lock & key' situation for player & team for me it's Stastny on the Jets. This and the Tampa deal were definitely the best 2 on the day. I actually really like Winnipeg's chances for the cup now - no weak point on this roster, and all of the keys to win a Stanley Cup: 1. Elite #1c 2. C depth 3. great D 4. great goalie. Skill, speed, size, grit, character.

Excited to see Stas feeding Laine & Ehlers all game on the "#2a/b" line. Also gives me hope for his return to Denver in the offseason.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Thats Ridiculous!!! Alot if not most cheer for there team UNTIL they out of the playoffs and then its hoping a Canadian team wins. Or maybe thats just how it is here in Friendly Manitoba ;)
I seriously doubt anyone would be happy with a Leafs cup win outside of Toronto. Personally, I couldn't care less about bringing the cup back to Canada. If Toronto doesn't win it, it makes no difference to me whether it's Vancouver,Winnipeg,Dallas,Florida or whoever else. I don't get the whole must cheer for a Canadian team once my team is out mentality.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Vegas takes a step back next year, they wasted a retentionspot for no reason at all, and they cant maximize their return....
Tnx GMGM says all the sellers next year.
I like this deal, yeah it stings to give up a first, but as long as we keep our first every other year and keep our second round pick every year, we will be fine

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I seriously doubt anyone would be happy with a Leafs cup win outside of Toronto. Personally, I couldn't care less about bringing the cup back to Canada. If Toronto doesn't win it, it makes no difference to me whether it's Vancouver,Winnipeg,Dallas,Florida or whoever else. I don't get the whole must cheer for a Canadian team once my team is out mentality.

This is one Jet fan that will cheer for the Leafs if they make a run and my team is out early. Last year I cheered for the Oilers and Sens when they were in the hunt. Always hated the Oiler back in the 80's because they continued to manhandle some pretty good Jet teams in the PO but if they were in the final I cheered for them anyways. I guess because I am a Canadian hockey fan who would love to see the cup back in Canada.

Go Jets Go Leafs Go Flames (hope you guys get in)

Reactions: Hobby Bull

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I definitely would like to see the Cup come back to Canada - I would cheer for the Jets, Leafs, Canucks in that order and then Calgary/Ottawa. The only ones I don't like are Edmonton and Montreal.
(I also would take a couple American teams over some of those, but all else being equal I'd probably cheer Canada.)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Think of it this way, Canada's sport is hockey right? And in the NHL theirs only 7 Canadian based teams and 24 American based teams, right? So the odds are under 30% each and every year for a Canadian team to win the Cup, as a Canadian who wants Canada to always beat USA at any international tournament, why would it be any different for it in the NHL? As a Flames fan, last year when we got swept by the Ducks, I was hoping that the Oilers would have at least beat them and continue on, I was hoping for the Sens to raise tbe cup though, even though Pitts won I was still happy because of the Canadians on the team but i would have been happier with a Canadian based team winning the Cup. When Germany beat Canada to go to the Gold medal game, I was hoping they'd upset the favorites(I had Canada and OAR making the Gold/Silver game and both were my favorites to win).

Reactions: Riptide

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Good deal for both teams. You have to give Armstrong credit here, it took a lot of guts to deal their best center to a divisional rival for futures when they are a perennial playoff team and only 1 point out of playoffs but it's definitely the best move for the Blues long term. The fact that they identified Foley also bodes well for their front office as he's a top 50 prospect just doesn't have the draft pedigree.

Sounds like Stastny aggravated over moving his family, so there's still a decent chance he re-signs in St.Louis. Also - the Blues are still in the race and their playoff chances are tied to goaltending more than who their Cs are. That team could continue to flounder or they could go on a run as a FU to mgmt.

For Jets, I think we got the best forward available at deadline in the last several years. Stastny is 50-60 point playmaking two way center who gets most of his production at even strength. Those players just don't become available as rentals. We don't know yet what kind of chemistry he'll have with Laine/Ehlers but it's irrelevant to his market value. That's the gamble of deadline acquisitions. And yeah, I'd rather have dumped a lesser prospect than Foley but this is life. This franchise has never won a playoff game and if you include Jets 1.0 history, we have only won 2 playoff rounds since 1979. If all we get is hope from this, I'm still fine with it.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Everyone is different which is ok, me personally I do always cheers for Canadian teams. If the Jets get bumped before the Leafs, you bet I’ll be cheering for the Leafs. Good luck

Reactions: Aggie204 and SLAYER

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
The biggest winner in this trade is Foley himself. All he had to do is look at the Jets forward strength and just how young they are and he'd realize that he'd be an AHLer for years. He's better off in St. Loo.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Anything that weakens STL is a win for everyone else. I have no animosity towards WPG, good for them going for the Cup. Now just eliminate MIN/NAS in the playoffs and all will be right in the world.

Reactions: north49er

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Looking at what Nash got... And to a lesser extent Plekanec.. And what Nashville gave up for Hartman...

A 1st and a 4th or Foley ( its not both, its either Foley or the 2020 4th rd pick) doesn't seem like that much at all plus Blues retain 50 percent? Yeah... Not sure where this overpay talk comes from.

Hartman isn't a pending UFA who's going to get a big raise. And Boston offloaded 50% of Beleskey's contract on NYR (2.5 x 1.9m, 4m in real dollars). Neither of these are direct comparable situations/deals.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Peg just probably became one of the top 3 or 4 favorites for the Cup. They won too. Stas will have an impact for them...he's a very good and intelligent center.

It really is down to 4 teams. Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa and Pittsburgh. Perhaps LV. Others can obviously have success... but if we're looking at rosters on paper, those 4 are the creme of the crop. It's sad that NSH/WPG will have to meet in the 2nd round. Should be a hell of a series. At least if PIT/TB both advance, they won't meet until the ECF.

I really miss the days of the 1-8 seeding, and wish we'd see something like that - just without the automatic home ice to division winners (mind you we had more divisions then).

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
The biggest winner in this trade is Foley himself. All he had to do is look at the Jets forward strength and just how young they are and he'd realize that he'd be an AHLer for years. He's better off in St. Loo.
Good opportunity for Foley to be sure but he wouldn't have been an AHLer for years.

Yes the depth the Jets have especially at LW is really deep and strong but at some point players will need to be moved. So either the Jets would have made room so he could have played his way on the roster or like they did, trade him.

He likely will need most if not all of one season then see if he gets a chance and takes hold of it.

Like him a lot, anticipate that St. Louis signs him this spring, he's past college hockey to be sure.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lots of "hockey" fans in Canada will cheer for a Canadian team to win after their team is out. My whole family is like this. And unless it's a team I hate (cough, Vancouver/Montreal, cough) I'm the same way. I'm not a Jet's fan, but cheered my heart out for them when watching them in DAL last fall (much to the dismay of all the DAL fans in the lower bowl).

You don't have to... but it's a very real thing. This is actually a pretty common sentiment for fans of the game who are not die hard fans of a rival (Toronto fan, watching Montreal win, CGY/EDM/VAN, etc).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Garry Galle just said he slides into the #3 spot with Patrick Laine. I'm tired of hearing Laine is on the third line. That's the second line!
WPG

3rd line

Reactions: Hobby Bull

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
. Statsny is 50-60 point playmaking two way center who gets most of his production at even strength.

Stastny has 46, 49, and 40 pts. the past three years. His production and health has gone down as he entered his 30's, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Stastny has 46, 49, and 40 pts. the past three years. His production and health has gone down as he entered his 30's, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sure but he hasn't missed a game this year and is on pace for 52 points. 35 of his 40 points this year are at even strength. To put that into perspective, Crosby has 36 ES points.

As for injuries, anything can happen but a freak collision with Kadri a year ago doesn't seem to be affecting his play this year.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't buy into the "I'm cheering for a Canadian team" based simply on the city where the team is based. Most often the US based team has more Canadian born players so is actually more Canadian (like TC teams allowed NHLers are usually stacked with players that earn their living in the US).
A few years ago there was no chance of me rooting for TML unless they were playing a team I abhored but since reconnecting with family in the GTA I root for them unless they are playing 1 of the 3 teams I actually care about.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Plus the Blues are where offensive players go to die. They have traditionally played a very heavy, north south, and conservative style in St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad