Confirmed Trade: [STL/PHI] Kevin Hayes (50% retained) for 2024 6th round pick

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
We are not. At all.

I can see Hayes for a 6th. But the retention blows my mind. Like wait a few years and retain on a TDL deal for a 2nd prob. This is so dumb and seems to be Torts pushing the issue.
exactly. it's a very poor deal from Flyer's side, and it is rushed as well.

I would have felt better if another condition like the following was added. "Half of the Hayes' retained salary will also be deducted from Coach Tortorella's ongoing paycheck for the duration."

There is literally no other reason for dumping....dumping...a legitimate NHL forward, your own team's second highest scorer AND retaining half of his salary to boot. Which I think a lot of non-Flyer fans on here seems to think is also pretty out there, and they are right. It is out there. In cuckoo land.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
We needed a #3 C to round out the forward group. Where would you spend it? Tell me what you could get for 3.5 mil that would be better than Hayes. 85 pts in 129 games the last 2 years.

Nick Foligno just got 4 mil.

Don't be butthurt about this.
No one is butthurt. Enjoy Hayes, you are welcome to him. I hope you feel the same way about him next year. I’m happy he’s gone, now I don’t have to look at his dumb frat boy face anymore!

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Surprisingly low return. I'm not a Hayes fan, but with 50% retention, I thought he would return some kind of meaningful asset, like a 2nd rounder or B prospect. They are only getting $3.6M in cap relief for 3 years -- but they will have to fill his slot with another player, so it's really much less cap relief than that. Danny must really hate him.
And also continue to pay Hayes as the (check's Capfriendly)...11th highest paid Flyer. 10th if you remove Ryan Ellis' LTIR salary. 8th if you remove 2x IR Couturier and Atkinson, who knows if and when they'll play, they each skipped an entire season with injury. 7th when DeAngelo is also given away. And so on, for each of Sanheim, Konecny and Hart, all named in trade rumours. Although Cal Petersen will continue to be paid more than Hayes' retained salary, even if he's demoted to the minors. So there's that...

As asset management, it seems pretty poor to me. Who cares if the coach doesn't think he's right for his squad...there are plenty of other NHL squads out there who can use such a player, so find them which is the point of good asset management.

And at 50% retained? Watch the fans of other teams chime in and say " I wish my team had been in on a 50% retained Hayes". Edit: Exactly 8 players who made $3.6 mil or less last season scored as many points as Hayes did...5 on RFA contracts and 3 veterans, Pavelski, Montour and Chandler Stephenson. That's scoring at an excellent value, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
exactly. it's a very poor deal from Flyer's side, and it is rushed as well.

I would have felt better if another condition like the following was added. "Half of the Hayes' retained salary will also be deducted from Coach Tortorella's ongoing paycheck for the duration."

There is literally no other reason for dumping....dumping...a legitimate NHL forward, your own team's second highest scorer AND retaining half of his salary to boot. Which I think a lot of non-Flyer fans on here seems to think is also pretty out there, and they are right. It is out there. In cuckoo land.

Flyers are tanking next season, Hayes and the return are irrelevant....the retention will be off the books by the time the Flyers become a decent team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't get this from a Philly side. Sure 7M might be a wee bit to much for what he gives, but at 3.5M he is a steal. They basically paying 3.5M to free up 3.5M capspace so they can sign somebody who has worse value per the dollar then Hayes @ 3.5M

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I haven’t really been following much of what’s been going on so far this off-season, so I may be out of the loop, but I’m confused.
They move Provorov, Hayes, rumors circulating they wanna move Hart…why did they hire Torts exactly (yes, I realize different management brought him in)? He’s not exactly a coach that is going to be a good tank commander.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I don't get this from a Philly side. Sure 7M might be a wee bit to much for what he gives, but at 3.5M he is a steal. They basically paying 3.5M to free up 3.5M capspace so they can sign somebody who has worse value per the dollar then Hayes @ 3.5M
Torts. Didn’t. Want. Him. Here. He. Didn’t. Agree. With. His. Lackadaisical.

He didn’t want him anywhere near the team going forward.

Torts is torts.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I haven’t really been following much of what’s been going on so far this off-season, so I may be out of the loop, but I’m confused.
They move Provorov, Hayes, rumors circulating they wanna move Hart…why did they hire Torts exactly (yes, I realize different management brought him in)? He’s not exactly a coach that is going to be a good tank commander.

Torts has the support of Briere and Jones. I’m not sure why. But he does.

But Hayes was lazy, and wasn’t the style of what they want.

He wasn’t wearing the O&B anymore.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Just glad we got rid of that contract without having to add a sweetener nor take back a bad contract

Reactions: SnS

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is one of the most puzzling deals I've seen in a while.

Hayes for a 6th as a cap dump I understand, but 50% retained? Why even trade him?

Has to be some behind the scenes stuff going on that the trade had to happen now, otherwise this makes no sense.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
This is one of the most puzzling deals I've seen in a while.

Hayes for a 6th as a cap dump I understand, but 50% retained? Why even trade him?

Has to be some behind the scenes stuff going on that the trade had to happen now, otherwise this makes no sense.

They didn’t want his lackluster attitude around the club. They = Torts.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They didn’t want his lackluster attitude around the club. They = Torts.
I get that, but surely they could've waited for a better trade after FA is done. Very slim pickings on centers who have played top 6 in recent years.

Especially as they were ready to retain.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I get that, but surely they could've waited for a better trade after FA is done. Very slim pickings on centers who have played top 6 in recent years.

Especially as they were ready to retain.

Briere is just fixing the problem.

I think once Krug blocked the trade to Philly, he just wanted Hayes (plus he has a 12 team NTC), he just circled back and took the 6th rounder to cut him loose.

He was never putting a flyers jersey on again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad