Still weeding out the virus... 3-2 Ducks

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Desharnais should never see the ice again as a Hab.
If he is recovering nicely concoct a set back.
We need to continue to use Eller/Galchenyuk in that number two slot.
As a matter of fact Eller probably had his best game EVER as a winger last night.
If McCarron proves he can keep up with the pace I loved that line.

Eler has a ton of those game in him. He would still be used as a spare part with different Ice Dogs every week if not for the injury to Therriens pet.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Desharnais played well until this season. He started the season injured, hell he couldn't even take faceoffs and played badly ever since (except a few games).

The way the other players are playing right now, I can't see him coming back so three possibilities:

1) Trade him for a pick or prospect at the draft
2) Buy him out
3) Tell him to get operated on his injury but as late as possible so he is on LTIR for 2016-2017

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm happy that Eller is finally getting a real shot at a top 6 and we see what he is capable of. He and Galchenyuk were the only +2 on the team last night. Under any other coach they both would have been ahead of DD on the depth chart.

That feeling when you realize your team is being run by a bunch of buffoons it's like a punch in the gut.

The problem is we are a minimum two years too late if indeed the management has even capitulated.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

expy

Nov 2, 2010
For real, you think this happens? Who's losing their roster spot, who is DD replacing and what's the ripple down effect?

DD's getting reinserted due to being DD and the coach being Therrien.

Ripple down effect = team gets 100% ********.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
They played pretty solid against the hottest team in the league and they finally showed a lot more heart. Some positives were:

- Condon had a solid game
- McCarron was an absolute beast
- Chucky/Eller were excellent
- If Danault and Matteau can play like that consistently they'll be solid bottom six guys
- Pateryn continues to get better and better
- Ellis looked pretty solid for his first game, ridiculous how much he's improved the last year

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Desharnais will play again this year for sure. He's still part of the team and there's 18 games to the season. BUT, I don't see him playing hockey for us next season. In a way, it's a good thing that we can try young players, if they do well, a lot of them will be playing full time with the Habs next season. That's why I want us to have a strong finish, it would mean that our young players are ready.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This season is a write off either way. It's next season that we should be worried about.

You think he's back next year?..we have like 100 centres...he's gotta be near the bottom of the depth chart..you'd think. Seems we've went from a perimeter game to a in the slot crash and bang philosophie.

What needs to happen is DD come back, then the team play flat again....you help the tank while assuring yourself that he's not part of ANY plans moving fwd

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I really liked what I saw last night, the kids are all right. McCarron was a hurricane force breath of fresh air.This morning there are Duck players feeling the effects of his hits, he made every player on the team feel so much bigger. We are better team with a physical element to our game, I have wanted this for years!!! McCarron is improving his game and will be a force starting next season.

Hopefully we add a relevant top 6 forward and get back a healthy Carey Price and off we go. Oh I forgot, Fire Therrien.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Things i took away from last nights game

Mccarron galchenyuk and eller obviously our best and most dangerous line, but i thought the line kind of took a lil step back when eller started centering it in the third, they still looked good, but there was something about mccarron up the middle..

Emelin played a phenomenal game last night i thought, vs quicker teams he will suffer, but vs the big west coast teams? he is exactly EXACTLy the type of defenseman you need.

and i just want to give a shoutout to gallagher monster hit vs kesler late in the game last night, i saw someone fly in and crunc h someone and i had NO idea it was lil brendan throwing such a great hit

also danault is amazingly solid, and matteau was actually kind of surprising.. hes big, fast, and looks to have a mean streak perfect for a bottom 6 role, we'll see if he can keep it up, but personally i think he is the type of guy that wants to play FOr a guy like michel therrien as odd as it sounds, but i can see him not working out in NJ, but something about playing for the only french team.. i think it will bring out the best in him, lets hope it continues

we lost, but it really doesnt feel like a loss. it was an incredible game, and the kids are looking GOOD

DD, and plekanec have to go, they had to go last year, nothing changed, now they have to go this year hopefully they can fetch us SOMEthing!!

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
They played pretty solid against the hottest team in the league and they finally showed a lot more heart. Some positives were:

- Condon had a solid game
- McCarron was an absolute beast
- Chucky/Eller were excellent
- If Danault and Matteau can play like that consistently they'll be solid bottom six guys
- Pateryn continues to get better and better
- Ellis looked pretty solid for his first game, ridiculous how much he's improved the last year

Agree with pretty much everything...

Condon is really becoming a steady goalie. Remarkable considering he's an unproven, undrafted rookie

McCarron is really good in the offensive zone down low. If the Canadiens bill themselves as a serious contender next year, he can't be their #2 center though. Not yet. His skating and quickness are too much of an issue.

Don't like Eller on the right wing, especially on the boards in our zone, but these two really play well together, game in, game out. Eller at C, Chucky on the wing and another offensive winger and this line could be our most dangerous next year.

All Pateryn needed was a chance to play. Injuries forced Angry Michel's hand and #6 is taking advantage of it.

I really liked Danault against the lowly Leafs... not so much these past two games but he is terrific on the faceoffs. Matteau is better that DSP in my opinion.

I don't see what everyone liked about Ellis yesterday. He looked awfully nervous and tentative (normal for a first game). I expect better if he's in the lineup tonight.

Emelin was also noticeable for the right reasons. Mitchell played too much for my liking but had a decent game.

I might be in the minority but I haven't like Byron's game since he signed the big contract.

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
Other than the steaming pile of dung ,that was the reffing ,the game was entertaining and provided rays of hope for next year........with an actual coach at the helm.

Probably already mentioned but MB gets MB for toughness and MT benches him against a tough, nasty team.......because????

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lots of positives from yesterday's game, already highlighted here by our astute observers. It helped put aside the dismal cratering since December 3rd, even if it was only for one night.

If our management does their job in the off season, this could be one interesting team to watch next year.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Lots of positives from yesterday's game, already highlighted here by our astute observers. It helped put aside the dismal cratering since December 3rd, even if it was only for one night.

If our management does their job in the off season, this could be one interesting team to watch next year.

I agree. The 3 vets on D stepped up in BIG minutes to help their rookie goalie.

They get crapped on a lot by MT and the french media, but I like the way Chucky and Eller still played hard and really well with a rookie centerman on the second line. Chucky was dangerous all night. Eller, not as skilled for sure, always plays his heart out and is much more creative than the haters and the experts give him credit for. Plus, he was moved to RW by his loving coach and still was one of our better forwards.

I wonder how Plecky would have reacted to being moved to RW with McCarron and Patches. I wonder how Patches would have reacted. Pleks was pretty invisible offensively despite being in his natural position with our top sniper and best right winger. How invisible would he have been on the right side of his rookie replacement?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Condon is really becoming a steady goalie. Remarkable considering he's an unproven, undrafted rookie

I might be in the minority but I haven't like Byron's game since he signed the big contract.

Agreed about Condon, heis a respectable backup. Not a 1B, but respectable.

Totally agree with you about Byron. We didn't need to give him 3 years AND almost $1.2M per year.

ONE year $1.1M, or 2 years 1.0M, no longer than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad