Prospect Info: STI 2021 Draft Rankings 2.0 for May -- Top 64

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pronman has the devils picking Buium with the isles 1st in his latest mock draft

That's actually not a bad pick at all. They're certainly familiar with Buium, who is teammates with NJ 2020 4th rounder Ethan Edwards in the USHL; and Buium is clearly a superior prospect to Edwards -- further offensively developed despite being one year younger, far better on the defensive side of the puck, and owning a strong physical edge which Edwards lacks.

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
That's actually not a bad pick at all. They're certainly familiar with Buium, who is teammates with NJ 2020 4th rounder Ethan Edwards in the USHL; and Buium is clearly a superior prospect to Edwards -- further offensively developed despite being one year younger, far better on the defensive side of the puck, and owning a strong physical edge which Edwards lacks.

But does he have a brother?

Kidding aside, the Isles pick is gravy, brown not that other use for it, and a nice add to the farm system at any position after getting a D at #4. Still, don’t f*** it up.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Caufield having a hellvua playoffs could raise Eklund's stock.

I'm a big Eklund fan, but he's not in Caufield's league in terms of offensive talent. Caufield is special. It's funny, because many critics downgraded the 2019 US-NTDP draft eligibles, citing that they all inflated each other because they were all on the same team. But right now, I'd say the top 3 of a 2019 re-draft could easily be Hughes/Zegras/Caufield. I'd say Turcotte, Boldy and Knight would also be likely top 10 selections, and York would not be too far behind. That was just a special team.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I'm a big Eklund fan, but he's not in Caufield's league in terms of offensive talent. Caufield is special. It's funny, because many critics downgraded the 2019 US-NTDP draft eligibles, citing that they all inflated each other because they were all on the same team. But right now, I'd say the top 3 of a 2019 re-draft could easily be Hughes/Zegras/Caufield. I'd say Turcotte, Boldy and Knight would also be likely top 10 selections, and York would not be too far behind. That was just a special team.
I was going in a different direction of what the appeal might be but alright.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
I like Eklund a lot and think he brings a more well-rounded offensive game vs Cole

at least from what ive seen, Eklund seems like a better playmaker yet also can crash to the areas for goals. I also like Eklunds skating a lot too.

i think Eklund is the #1 forward in the draft and is equivalent to Dach and Zegras as a prospect. I like Cole a tier below those guys with Holtz Cozens Perfetti types

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Eklund a lot and think he brings a more well-rounded offensive game vs Cole

at least from what ive seen, Eklund seems like a better playmaker yet also can crash to the areas for goals. I also like Eklunds skating a lot too.

i think Eklund is the #1 forward in the draft and is equivalent to Dach and Zegras as a prospect. I like Cole a tier below those guys with Holtz Cozens Perfetti types

Cole Caufield is consistently undersold. He has absolutely elite talents as a playmaker, puck handler and goal-scorer while possessing an unbelievable mix of hockey IQ and a sneaky good 200-foot game. He's just always dangerous.

With Eklund, you're talking about a terrific player who is more brains & heart than elite talent. I don't see him as possessing a single "elite" offensive talent, but all of his abilities play up because he's so smart and works so hard.

In short, I think we're talking about two outstanding future NHL stars, but while Caufield can one day win an NHL scoring title, I don't think Eklund is quite in that category offensively. My ideal scenario for Eklund would be a 70-80 point first liner with an outstanding all-around game, which is also something every team would be thrilled to have.

To put it in perspective, if the 2019 draft were re-held today, Jack Hughes would go 1st overall (again). But as for that 2nd overall pick? There would be several players in that conversation -- Zegras, Byram, Caufield, Kakko, etc. -- but I do not think if you added Eklund to that class he would have any realistic shot at the top 5 overall.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Just downloaded the EP draft guide (it's massive) last night and, boy, do they not like Corson Ceulemans or Daniil Chayka. Ceulemans is at 55 and Chayka is at 77. They also have Lambos, Bolduc, Chibrikov and Bourgault outside the 1st round. They also have Luke Hughes at #11 (Brandt Clarke is #4).

They are absurdly high on Zach Dean (#15) and Mackie Samoskevich (#19).

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
It’s entirely possible that the ducks do us a favor and take luke, who may or may not be the better choice. Leaving us with clarke, which is fine too. Let’s f***ing get to it already.

What do they think of klimovich? I’d love to get him in the later rounds.

Reactions: Smitty426

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
lol y'all may think I'm crazy but I actually paid $70 to have the entire EP draft guide printed, binded and covered so I can read it on the plane on the way to vacation for the 4th.

I don’t blame you. When I was traveling back and forth between the states and finland, I always needed plenty to do. So I would always bring my hockey news rookie edition and study the f*** out of it. I mean I always had my psp and nintendo ds, but I loved reading the guide over and over.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I don’t blame you. When I was traveling back and forth between the states and finland, I always needed plenty to do. So I would always bring my hockey news rookie edition and study the f*** out of it. I mean I always had my psp and nintendo ds, but I loved reading the guide over and over.
I had actually bought 2 books on Sunday for the trip but I've already finished both books so I needed something else to read. Figured, with the EP guide being 736 pages, it'll give me plenty to do and I can write my notes and highlight stuff physically rather than having to exit out of the PDF file and write notes on an Excel sheet.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I had actually bought 2 books on Sunday for the trip but I've already finished both books so I needed something else to read. Figured, with the EP guide being 736 pages, it'll give me plenty to do and I can write my notes and highlight stuff physically rather than having to exit out of the PDF file and write notes on an Excel sheet.

736 pages is def...thorough :laugh:.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
736 pages is def...thorough :laugh:.
Let me correct myself...it's 746 pages. They give you their overview of the player along with individual skill ratings and their game by game scouting reports on all 107 guys they have ranked this year.

Gonna be interesting to see just how different their stuff will be from what I see. I'm just some rando on the internet but I like to do my own thing. Definitely need to find a more rewarding hobby tho lmao.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just downloaded the EP draft guide (it's massive) last night and, boy, do they not like Corson Ceulemans or Daniil Chayka. Ceulemans is at 55 and Chayka is at 77. They also have Lambos, Bolduc, Chibrikov and Bourgault outside the 1st round. They also have Luke Hughes at #11 (Brandt Clarke is #4).

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to check it out, thanks.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

The thing is, each team's list could really vary drastically, much like the rankings from different people.

I'd like a draft simulator that, instead of throwing in some random number generation for each pick, randomly picked lists from different sites for each team.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
there is a trade thread from a rangers fan:
k'andre miller for 4th overall
Proposal: - NYR & NJD

every devils fans has shot down the proposal and i also wouldn't do it. but if clarke and power are gone, i would consider:
k'andre miller and 15 oa for 4 oa (maybe an add from the devils)
with the 15 oa the target could be corson ceulemans

4oa for miller and ceulemans would be a fine return. the rangers would probably target beniers or mctavish.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
there is a trade thread from a rangers fan:
k'andre miller for 4th overall
Proposal: - NYR & NJD

every devils fans has shot down the proposal and i also wouldn't do it. but if clarke and power are gone, i would consider:
k'andre miller and 15 oa for 4 oa (maybe an add from the devils)
with the 15 oa the target could be corson ceulemans

4oa for miller and ceulemans would be a fine return. the rangers would probably target beniers or mctavish.

the rangers would have to add to that, not us

Reactions: Darkauron

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I'm really hoping the devils draft Logan Stankoven at 28th overall if he's available. I think he's going to follow in the footsteps of the caulfields and debrincats of the world with being a great goal scorer/offensive player who is undersized. I think he has an elite shot while always putting himself in a great position to shoot but also is a very good playmaker. I especially like the way he moves the puck on the powerplay. I think his hockey IQ and spatial awareness is top notch which allows him to make the right play offensively most of the time. While I wouldn't call him a bad skater I feel like he's not a great skater for his size with his stride looking a little strange with it being short and choppy but I think his IQ will make up for this even as an undersized player. I think he's a guy you put on your 1st PP unit and play him with a good center and he'll put up the points in the NHL. He's somewhat risky cause he's either a top 6 player or bust but IMO I see him succeeding. We need goal scoring and he will bring that for sure.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I'm really hoping the devils draft Logan Stankoven at 28th overall if he's available. I think he's going to follow in the footsteps of the caulfields and debrincats of the world with being a great goal scorer/offensive player who is undersized. I think he has an elite shot while always putting himself in a great position to shoot but also is a very good playmaker. I especially like the way he moves the puck on the powerplay. I think his hockey IQ and spatial awareness is top notch which allows him to make the right play offensively most of the time. While I wouldn't call him a bad skater I feel like he's not a great skater for his size with his stride looking a little strange with it being short and choppy but I think his IQ will make up for this even as an undersized player. I think he's a guy you put on your 1st PP unit and play him with a good center and he'll put up the points in the NHL. He's somewhat risky cause he's either a top 6 player or bust but IMO I see him succeeding. We need goal scoring and he will bring that for sure.

I remember hearing the name so I did a search for some of @StevenToddIves
posts and here some info to make it easy on peeps:

1. RW Logan Stankoven, Kamloops WHL every year there’s a kid like this — an absolute beast in every facet of the game who, if he were not physically small of stature (5’8-165), he’d be in every first round ranking on the planet. This kid is smart, fierce and can create offense out of thin air while playing a complete and aware game. I don’t care how big he is — he’s just a huge hockey talent.

2021 Draft Profile:

C Logan Stankhoven, Kamloops WHL

Sometimes we're all guilty -- myself included -- at falsely defining players because of a litany of reasons. There are just so many players we need to pay attention to in every draft, that we take short-cuts -- again, myself included -- and pigeon-hole these kids due to initial observations of superficial traits; we find giving imperfect comparisons or cliche labels is easier than truly paying attention. We would rather scrutinize a prospect than our own rankings systems.

Logan Stankoven is nothing like you would suspect him to be. Initially, you see a 5'8 center whose game is based on offense and speed, and you think he's small, maybe he'll be a good RW (he's a right shot) in the NHL. But then you see he does not play a "small man's game" -- he's actually an extremely smart, fundamentally sound two-way player who is more willing to go to the physical areas than several 6'0+ forwards available in the 2021 class.

Stankhoven is universally being ranked either in the late first or early second round. I feel his average ranking is affected as much by his height as his actual tool-kit and mental make-up, which are both extremely good. This is an extremely quick skater, who plays even faster because he is so dogged on the forecheck, so anticipatory on the puck, and so smart and positionally aware in the neutral and defensive zones. He's a guy you always notice. I dug up a notebook last year of a Kamloops game I watched to write up Connor Zary. The margins look like this: "nice play Stankhoven! another great head's up play Stankhoven! holy s--t Stankhoven!" -- and so on.

Stankhoven is a shoot-first player, and boy can he bury the puck. His release is like lightning, and like many talented amateur snipers, he's terrific at changing the angle just before the release point to beat goaltenders. He's got a nice set of hands and can beat you in a litany of ways -- this is not a small kid who scores all his goals from the perimeter. Stankhoven's courage is ridiculous, and in the WHL -- the most physical of the CHL leagues -- he has no problem driving to the net and getting in the face of 6'2-200 defenders.

Stankhoven's game is not perfect. He'd rather shoot than pass, and although he can send a pretty sauce when he has time, in any pressure he'd rather drop the shoulder and drive to the net, or just make a move to create room and blast it. I'd say he's a slightly above-average passer, which drops him in my estimation from a first-line NHL C to a second. But it's also important to keep in mind this is a high-effort kid who plays an outstanding 200-foot game -- I'd say his talent floor is as a third-line buzz-saw who also produces offense -- and that's an excellent get in the #30-#40 range where he will probably go in the 2021 draft.

Unfortunately, Stankhoven's game is likely not making him a priority for the Devils. The Devils could use depth at the prospect level at center, but even if they find themselves with a pair of first round picks (or an early second), they'll likely be focusing on D and goal-scoring wingers. But this is a wonderful player whom I'll be rooting for throughout what I predict will be an excellent and successful NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad