Prospect Info: STI 2021 Draft Rankings 2.0 for May -- Top 64

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Prospect Profile

RW Jackson Blake, Chicago Steel USHL

The son of ex-NHL-er Jason Blake is a very good hockey player in his own right. His skill and hockey IQ are both extremely high-quality assets, but he is likely to be a very late pick due to his lack of the two traits which tend to be the ones to garner a prospect the most attention -- size and skating. Jackson Blake is a reed-thin 5'10-150, and this is certainly a problem in that he is often knocked off the puck with relative ease in a physical and defense-oriented USHL. He is a good skater, but he is not close to elite, which many scouts and draft analysts like to see in a smaller player.

However, there is a lot to like here. Blake's game is very intriguing both with and without the puck. Offensively, he is an excellent puck-handler and passer -- these are without a doubt pro-level attributes. In space, this kid can make some magic, deking defenders and threading the needle to teammates. He has a very high hockey IQ which contributes to his vision -- this is not a kid who makes mistakes with the puck. The problem is that he needs his line mates to win the puck in physical battles, because this is not something you can count on Blake for.

Still, Blake's play without the puck is also quite good. He's a puck-hawk, very good at reading the opposition's intentions. Several times a game he makes a "right place at the right time" type steal of a pass or larceny of an opposing stickhandler. When you see this happen occasionally, it might be derivative of strong positional play (which Blake also has). But when you see it happen as much as it does with Blake, you have to notch it as yet another "plus" in his strong hockey IQ -- this is simply a kid with very good anticipation and a strong feel for the game.

Jackson Blake is not a player you take in the first few rounds. He's a sleeper you look for in the late draft -- a kid with a few IFs which, if answered, he can become a two-way 2nd liner with scoring pop. IF he can up his speed a notch; IF he can build some muscle and core strength to get in the 5'10-170 range; IF the rest of his skill development continues to impress. Because the fact is, this kid can create offense. He tore up the Minnesota HS circuit with an amazing 20 goals and 58 points in just 19 games for Edina HS. Then, upon a big jump to the USHL, Blake impressed again for the powerhouse Chicago Steel with 7 goals and 17 assists in just 27 games. Another enticing fact is that Blake is a very late September 2003 birthday, giving him an even more alluring potential development arc. Jackson Blake is certainly worth a look as a late round flyer with upside.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LW Jeremy Wilmer, US-NTDP

This is another intriguing player you look at in the 6th and 7th round, but not earlier. Wilmer is very small by any competitive hockey standards -- 5'7-140. Though he plays with the courage necessary to go to the dirty areas, he's often knocked around like a pinball once he does. If he had elite skating, he might be a middle-round consideration, but this is not the case. However, I would say he's a very good skater -- he reaches nice top speeds and his stops and starts are absolutely tremendous.

The reason we're talking about Wilmer is he is another young talent with a terrific offensive skill set. He's extremely elusive with the puck, he's very good at finding space and utilizing it. He's a very good passer and his shot has a nice combination of release and accuracy. He's just a kid who has always been relied on for offensive production at the amateur level, and he really impressed in 2020-21 with 14 goals and 53 points in 61 games.

It's tough for me to pass on a kid simply because he's 5'7-140, probably because that's my own size and at any level of sports I played I was known for being willing to mix it up with anybody. But the fact is to play professional hockey vs. relative giants who are as fast or faster than you, you need to have a few elite talents and no flaws. I'm not certain this is the case with Wilmer. His play without the puck is in need of great work and his offense, while very good, is not at the star level.

I don't want to bet against a kid like Jeremy Wilmer, because his high IQ and high compete level have seen him defy expectations at every step in his career thus far. And his shiftiness with the puck combined with excellent awareness of what to do with it once he has it certainly makes him offensively dangerous at all times. So, I'm rooting for him. And I'd be okay with my team drafting him, just not too early because he's got a lot of odds to overcome.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile

LW/C Sasha Teleguine, Chilliwack BCHL

Sleeper alert! It's about one month before the draft, so it's time to discuss some of my favorite sleepers -- players who could be available in the 5th/6th rounds who have top-6 upside at the NHL level. Sasha Teleguine is certainly near the top of that list. Hailing from Massachusetts, Teleguine tore up the USHS circuit before joining the Chiefs, where in a limited 20 game window he impressed with 18 points. He's now committed to the University of Connecticut, which has a very up-and-coming program at the NCAA level.

Simply put, I'm not certain how Teleguine has gone so under the radar, because he has many talents which could be described as dynamic and elite skating ability which, in and of itself, gives him a legit shot to make it as a bottom 6-er if the scoring upside does not approach his ceiling. We're also not talking about one of those super-fast little waterbugs, as Teleguine has solid size at 5'10-185. But watching him in the BCHL, his speed just puts him at another level, as most of that league simply cannot keep up with him.

Sasha Teleguine is not just speed. He's also a dynamic puck-distributor with a silky set of mitts. He's a bit more playmaker than scorer, but he has some nice finish around the net. He makes his line mates better offensively, not just by being the focus of defensive attention, but also because he's just so good at using his speed and offensive instincts to create space where it did not seem like there was any space. This enables him to increase offensive zone time and to open passing lanes, which Teleguine is very accomplished at lacing sweet sauces through.

Teleguine is not a perfect player. Defensively I'd say he is far, far below where he needs to be in order to make it in the NHL. His physical game is fairly non-existent. The combination of these facts probably sets his professional future at the LW rather than C, where he has played mostly in the BCHL. But he's a constant threat in transition with his speed and elusiveness, and while defense can be taught in development, this skill is nature-given and makes Teleguine extremely intriguing.

Again, we're not talking about a kid you will need a top 3-round pick to get. And in the bottom few rounds, Teleguine might just be the best combination of speed/skill taken among anybody. This sets his upside pretty high, and he should certainly be on the Devils -- and every team's -- radar as one of the potential steals of the 2021 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile

LD Luca Munzenberger, Koller GER Jr.

In the 2021 WJC, I felt Munzenberger was the most impressive blue liner for Team Germany, hands down. He's a lot of meat and potatoes but not a ton of sizzle. This is perfectly fine. I feel he has a high floor as a shut-down, physical defender with size (6'2-195) and mobility.

When looking at this type of player -- often ignored by the modern draft-writing community which seems to prefer huge scoring totals at the expense of defensive awareness for its blueliners -- it's important to keep in mind that any type of offensive upside or high-end puck-skills are a bonus, not a requisite. Teams need guys like this to win -- maybe not 6 of them, but certainly one or two.

Munzenberger is mean and physical. He is excellent on the PK. He wins board and corner battles with extreme prejudice and ridiculous regularity, and he clears creases with ferocity. Though his skating stride is a bit wide and awkward, I would call his actual speed above average for a defensive-defenseman his size. He's a good passer and smart with his puck decisions. Where he has an iota of offensive upside is that his shot is an absolute rocket, which might garner him some play-time on an NHL PP2 as the trigger-man. This kid can really blast the puck.

I have not seen Munzenberger ranked anywhere by anyone, despite a high floor and very useful skill set. He's a terrific pick for the final three rounds. I'm not sure what his value would be to the Devils, who already have a host of physical, defense-first LD with Okhotyuk/Bahl/Vukojevic/Misyul, but I just wanted to give this kid some attention because I really like him and his chances of turning a late-round selection into a very good NHL career.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile

LW/C Florian Elias, Adler Mannheim GER
Another player who really impressed in international tournament play for Germany has been Florian Elias. He's a center now, but due to sub-ideal size (5'8-170) and lack of elite speed, he probably projects to LW at the professional level. You're not drafting him for elite athletic traits, rather he is a guy with an outstanding combination of hockey IQ and compete level surrounded by a nice set of tools.

Elias is the penultimate jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. He's a good passer, puck handler, shooter, skater and two-way player, but he does not jump off the page in any one of those areas. He can be beaten physically, but he does not lack courage so this is not a mark against him. He's a pretty versatile kid who you can throw out there in all situations, and his advanced understanding of the game makes him extremely useful for a coach to have on his squad.

Elias is not a player you take in the first four rounds, but like most of the people I am writing up this late, he's a late round player with potential. I'd call Elias more high-floor than high-ceiling. He's a player you take if he falls to the 6th round who has a very nice chance of becoming a future staple on your bottom 6 who can add some offensive pop, and his smarts and desire make him an easy player to like.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
2021 Draft Profile

LW/C Sasha Teleguine, Chilliwack BCHL

Sleeper alert! It's about one month before the draft, so it's time to discuss some of my favorite sleepers -- players who could be available in the 5th/6th rounds who have top-6 upside at the NHL level. Sasha Teleguine is certainly near the top of that list. Hailing from Massachusetts, Teleguine tore up the USHS circuit before joining the Chiefs, where in a limited 20 game window he impressed with 18 points.

Who own ze Chiefs?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Can't believe we still have to wait over a month for this. I'm getting impatient lol. This pick actually has me excited. The potential of getting a top d-man prospect and potential first pairing guy is exciting.

My gut tells me it's 100% between Clarke and Hughes, and that we'll basically pick who's available at our slot. I like both prospects, so that's fine with me.

I'd give a sligghhhtttt edge to Clarke as of right now, but Hughes is significantly younger, so that gap could close after next season, when Hughes will be 18.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LD Cameron Whynot, Halifax QMJHL

No, I'm not making his name up. He just got lucky, I guess. And I'd like to make a pre-emptive strike against the inevitable 4,000 replies on this board that start with "should we draft this kid?" and end in ways we can probably all guess. However, Whynot is an intriguing but raw young defenseman whom many in the draft community believe should be taken as early as the 2nd or 3rd round.

This was clearly the #1, all-situations D for Nico Hischier's former QMJHL club, the Mooseheads. He played massive minutes and was a stalwart on all special teams. Statistically, Whynot really impressed with 6 goals, 17 assists and 23 points in just 34 games on the blueline. He immediately checks a lot of boxes, most notably the two most oft-judged ones -- size (6'1-185) and speed. Whynot is not huge, but he's got got good size. He's not a speed demon, but he's very mobile out there. He's a May, 2003 also, making him one of the younger draft-eligibles for 2001.

Whynot is a puck rusher and pretty good in transition. He has the puck protection, skating and confidence to avoid a forechecker or two when exiting the zone, and he has the smarts and passing ability to always be a threat advancing into the opposing territory. He displays good awareness when moving the puck, loving the bank pass off the boards to himself or the "shove the puck into space because you know you're getting there first" move which many young defenders do not have the gumption to attempt. In the defensive zone and offensive zone he is above average, but he's a bit raw and has several improvements to make in both.

Whynot is not a perfect player. He can get frustrated and forced into mistakes, and he often lacks consistency. He can make good defensive plays, but his decision making can be negatively impacted by pressure. But his size and mobility and offensive instincts give Whynot some upside as a mid-pairing NHL-er with 2PP ability. This is a prospect I like, but not enough to draft him as high as some have him ranked -- two pretty prominent scouting services have him as a 2nd rounder in the CSB and the TSN/McKenzie poll. But if Whynot slips I certainly like him as an upside pick for the middle rounds.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 Draft Profile:

LW/C Oliver Moberg, AIK Sweden Jr.

There's a weird aspect about Swedish hockey where several of their players seem to be over-ranked by a litany of draft-writers who literally equate "being Swedish" with "high hockey IQ". I'm not sure where this came from or why, but every year we see players with questionable decision making lauded for their smarts on the ice. Moberg is the opposite -- the rare player out of this nation who is being unfairly and completely overlooked.

In the recent U-18 tournament, people were expecting several bigger name forwards to stand out for Team Sweden. But after the dynamic duo of Fabian Lysell and Isak Rosen, one could certainly argue that Moberg was the team's third best forward. He's a heady, high-compete, two-way forward with tremendous potential for a future NHL bottom 6. There's not a lot of glitz and glamor here, but if you're looking for a meat and potatoes forward with versatility and size (6'3-205) in the later rounds, Moberg is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

If Moberg has a weakness, it's that his skating is certainly average at best. And he's not a guy to score pretty goals, though he is certainly smart and hard-nosed enough to score bunches of points around the crease and in the dirty areas. While not dynamic, he's surely adept at puck-handling and smart, accurate passing. He's just a solid, solid guy who you don't really key on when the game starts, but then you look at your notes after the game and you've marked him down for a half-dozen notably good plays.

Moberg is smart and he works hard. Outside of skating, there's really no weak part of his game. He's got size and -- though he's not an aggressive initiator -- he can handle and even dish out the rough stuff. I haven't seen him ranked in a top 100 yet, but I'm certainly considering Oliver Moberg for mine -- he's just really likable as a high-effort, bottom-six forward with size, intelligence and a non-stop motor.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given we have a couple dozen draft threads going I wasn't sure where to put this, but maybe here is a good spot.

I was checking out Ethan Edwards USHL stats for this past season, and one of Edwards' Sioux City teammates is Shai Buium who is draft eligible d-man.

Both guys had very similar point totals with with Edwards posting a 6-21-27 in 51gp stat line while Buium posted 4-22-26 in 50, and they rank 1-2 in d-men point totals for Sioux . Buium also put up 3 pts in 4 playoff games(Edwards had 1). Obviously Buium is a year younger then Edwards, and at 6'3" 215 significantly bigger. Can he skate? No idea. Kind of interesting that the smaller Edwards had 96 pim's while Buium had just 27. That says something, thought I'm not sure what.

So my question would then be, is this guy thought to be a legit prospect?

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As an addendum to the above, the #3 d-man in terms of points for Sioux last season was Daniel Laatsch. 6'4", though a slight 182 lbs. 19 years old so he went undrafted last year. He does have experience with the US national teams.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Given we have a couple dozen draft threads going I wasn't sure where to put this, but maybe here is a good spot.

I was checking out Ethan Edwards USHL stats for this past season, and one of Edwards' Sioux City teammates is Shai Buium who is draft eligible d-man.

Both guys had very similar point totals with with Edwards posting a 6-21-27 in 51gp stat line while Buium posted 4-22-26 in 50, and they rank 1-2 in d-men point totals for Sioux . Buium also put up 3 pts in 4 playoff games(Edwards had 1). Obviously Buium is a year younger then Edwards, and at 6'3" 215 significantly bigger. Can he skate? No idea. Kind of interesting that the smaller Edwards had 96 pim's while Buium had just 27. That says something, thought I'm not sure what.

So my question would then be, is this guy thought to be a legit prospect?

Absolutely, yes. Buium is currently 36 on my overall rankings, and in my estimation he's a far superior prospect to Edwards. However, Buium's one weakness -- the only aspect keeping him out of my current first round -- is his skating. Buium is an average skater. This is the only element of hockey where Buium is not superior to Edwards -- Buium has outstanding hands, can shoot the puck with good authority, is a very good passer, can dominate physically, and is extremely adept offensively. He's a smart player who plays hard.

I feel Buium's skating keeps him from being a true top-pairing prospect, but his enticing combination of virtually every other ability makes him one of the best sleeper defenseman for the 2021 draft. I'm very high on his potential.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Absolutely, yes. Buium is currently 36 on my overall rankings, and in my estimation he's a far superior prospect to Edwards. However, Buium's one weakness -- the only aspect keeping him out of my current first round -- is his skating. Buium is an average skater. This is the only element of hockey where Buium is not superior to Edwards -- Buium has outstanding hands, can shoot the puck with good authority, is a very good passer, can dominate physically, and is extremely adept offensively. He's a smart player who plays hard.

I feel Buium's skating keeps him from being a true top-pairing prospect, but his enticing combination of virtually every other ability makes him one of the best sleeper defenseman for the 2021 draft. I'm very high on his potential.
I see he was playing AAA as a u-13, but do you think coming from Cali limited his skating growth early?

Wondering if he has more room for growth as a skater then most guys would.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I see he was playing AAA as a u-13, but do you think coming from Cali limited his skating growth early?

Wondering if he has more room for growth as a skater then most guys would.

It's possible, because he's pretty athletic. But this is very difficult to assume or suppose. I'd say his skating is a bit stiff, he seems to lack agility and burst. But it's also important to note that high-end skating is not a be-all end-all, especially for a defenseman as talented in other areas of the game as Shai Buium. This is a big, strong kid who is smart and works hard, a dazzling puck-handler who can also really dish it while playing shut-down D. I feel there is a lot of upside here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad