Prospect Info: STI 2021 Draft Rankings 2.0 for May -- Top 64

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The closer the lottery gets, the less I really care where we end up. This year seems like more than ever the top picks won’t be the best players. And we very well could get Hughes with number 6. I almost don’t want another number 1 and all the expectations that come with that.

Eh, I hear ya but I would take us controlling our own destiny 10 times out of 10 (winning the lottery). Rather than sitting back and choosing who is left. Give me Powers.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
It’ll be 2am here when it takes place, so I’m gonna have to deal with catching up as well as I can during my morning routine. Not what I would prefer :laugh:.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Don't be shocked if it's just the TSN feed... disney/espn owns TSN after all. I doubt ESPN has a team up and ready to go to cover

There's some old drafts on YouTube, it's fun seeing the old hybrid ESPN/TSN coverage. Steve Levy did a couple drafts in the late 90s. Wouldn't be shocked if ESPN trots out Levy or Buccigross as the host with the TSN guys (McKenzie/Button at the desk, Dreger/ESPN person hopefully not named Barry Melrose on the floor).

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
The closer the lottery gets, the less I really care where we end up. This year seems like more than ever the top picks won’t be the best players. And we very well could get Hughes with number 6. I almost don’t want another number 1 and all the expectations that come with that.

I definitely feel like one of the family members in the Incredibles attending Dash's race...go for second place here, but make it close!

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I must chime in that these two players are not similar at all. Bratt is a far more explosive skater. Eklund would get huge advantages in scoring ability, two-way play, versatility, grit/physicality etc. etc. Bratt is a very good player, but he mostly prefers the perimeter. Eklund is like a heat-seeking missile for high-danger scoring areas.

I'm a big Bratt fan -- I feel he can be one of the better second-line wingers in the league. But Eklund has true impact-player potential. His speed and skill are excellent, and those are almost the least impressive aspects of his overall game.

Respect your opinion if NJ takes him hope your right but I still think he's too small and Devils need size and skill all the good teams have size and skill...Imo they should trade down in this draft more picks the better as some players just haven't played most getting all the talk are those who have been given visibility.....It's a defense heavy draft.....

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don’t care too much about where we draft as long as it’s top 5. Even then, I’ll just be slightly annoyed that we dropped two spots.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
It’s hard for me to be upset if we don’t move up considering we have been fortuitous and won two draft lotteries in recent years. Imagine if we did though...say have the second pick. If Power goes 1OA, would you consider trading down 2-3 spots with a team desperate for a center that covets Beniers? That scenario could be quite interesting...and what kind of offer moves the needle for you?

I’m hoping two of Buffalo/Anaheim/Seattle win lottery balls so we can stay at 4th. The most likely scenario is a team from the field jumping into the top two and the Devils picking 5th. I can live with that. Dropping two spots would stink because I believe it is the most least likely outcome. I would be sweating at 6 hoping Clarke or Hughes is still on the board.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
It’s hard for me to be upset if we don’t move up considering we have been fortuitous and won two draft lotteries in recent years. Imagine if we did though...say have the second pick. If Power goes 1OA, would you consider trading down 2-3 spots with a team desperate for a center that covets Beniers? That scenario could be quite interesting...and what kind of offer moves the needle for you?

I’m hoping two of Buffalo/Anaheim/Seattle win lottery balls so we can stay at 4th. The most likely scenario is a team from the field jumping into the top two and the Devils picking 5th. I can live with that. Dropping two spots would stink because I believe it is the most least likely outcome. I would be sweating at 6 hoping Clarke or Hughes is still on the board.
I'd like us to get one of the top 3 Dmen, because if they are gone when we are picking, I can see Fitz not going BPA and picking the next Dman on the list which is usually a bad decision.

I'd like Berniers as well but I think it is more likely we go D.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'll be severely disappointed if we pass on him for a non BPA D man.

Really, my only real fear for the 2021 draft is that the Devils fall to #5 or #6, Power/Clarke/Hughes all go before the Devils pick, and the Devils reach at #6 for Lambos or Edvinsson with guys like Eklund and Guenther and Johnson still on the board.

Lambos and Edvinsson would be fine if the Devils traded down to the #10-#14 range. But Lambos has a lot of risk and Edvinsson has limited upside, so drafting either out of sheer positional need with potential all-star top line Fs with minimal risk available would just be... well, absurd. But it is a possibility Devils fans will have to contend with.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Really, my only real fear for the 2021 draft is that the Devils fall to #5 or #6, Power/Clarke/Hughes all go before the Devils pick, and the Devils reach at #6 for Lambos or Edvinsson with guys like Eklund and Guenther and Johnson still on the board.

Lambos and Edvinsson would be fine if the Devils traded down to the #10-#14 range. But Lambos has a lot of risk and Edvinsson has limited upside, so drafting either out of sheer positional need with potential all-star top line Fs with minimal risk available would just be... well, absurd. But it is a possibility Devils fans will have to contend with.
Devils fans need to be ready for the possibility that we take Edvinsson no matter where we are. He’s very likely to be a top 5 pick whether you agree with that or not.
FEATURE: Top-10 NHL Draft Prospects

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hope we get to draft first overall then!
I really hope we do not draft another 5’10” - 170 lbs player with our first pick...Just saying.

I think size is often overstated with hockey players, especially when separated from physicality and compete level.

For instance, the three most physical "power scoring forwards" in the 2021 draft would have to be Mason McTavish (6'2-210), Zachary L'Heureux (5'11-195) and Brennan Othmann (6'0-175). Right behind them is Nikita Chibrikov (5'10-170).

But the three top "two-way" Fs -- all of whom can also play the physical game -- are Matt Beniers (6'1-175), Fyodor Svechkov (6'0-180) and William Eklund (5'10-170).

If you're looking at the Islanders pick, one of my favorites for that spot is Isak Rosen (5'11-155), who plays with maximum compete and fears nothing, as opposed to countryman William Stromgren (6'3-190) who plays with maybe one-quarter of Rosen's edge and ferocity.

With defensemen, who's the best open-ice hitter in the draft? Well it's not 6'6 Owen Power or 6'5 Simon Edvinsson, but rather 5'9 Sean Behrens -- whose closest comparable is a young Andy Greene only much meaner. Behrens is a regular on all the USA tournament teams which are missed by Scott Morrow (6'3-200), who very much does not like to hit or be hit.

Size is an asset, for certain, but it's not even as directly related to strength as most people think, much less hockey ability. Who wins a physical puck battle between 5'9 Brayden Point and 6'4 Travis Sanheim or 6'3 Jacob Larsson? I'm betting on Point every time. The biggest two teams in the NHL for the past two years have been Anaheim and Ottawa, and they've been in the draft lottery both years.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'm hoping the Devils stay at #4 to be honest. #5 would be fine too, as I'm kind of rooting for Detroit to win the lottery. I'd like to see Buffalo stick at #1, but if any team can find a way to screw up a top 3 pick it's probably the Sabres.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd like us to get one of the top 3 Dmen, because if they are gone when we are picking, I can see Fitz not going BPA and picking the next Dman on the list which is usually a bad decision.

Yes, I'm fairly certain that the Devils pick of Mukhamadullin at #20 last year was not the Devils highest-ranked player, but rather the highest ranked defenseman. And thus, there is unfortunately cause to fear that the Devils could reach for D with either or both fo their first-round picks this year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm hoping the Devils stay at #4 to be honest. #5 would be fine too, as I'm kind of rooting for Detroit to win the lottery. I'd like to see Buffalo stick at #1, but if any team can find a way to screw up a top 3 pick it's probably the Sabres.

I agree, they've been screwed by the last couple of lotteries and Steve Y is a very likable GM, would be nice to see something break their way.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Devils fans need to be ready for the possibility that we take Edvinsson no matter where we are. He’s very likely to be a top 5 pick whether you agree with that or not.
FEATURE: Top-10 NHL Draft Prospects

There is disparity which exists with Edvinsson but does not exist with Power, Clarke or Hughes. Edvinsson has rankings in the teens to early 20s (Pronman, Kournianos, Recruites). Those other guys are staples in the top 10.

I found exactly 4 major top 5 rankings (out of 20 or so) for Edvinsson -- TSN/McKenzie (2), FCHockey (2), Smaht Scouting (4) and McKeens (5). I will concede that the TSN/McKenzie rankings are generally the most accurate, however, so this would work in favor for what you're saying. But the converse here is that the polarization with Edvinsson is huge at #2 to #21, whereas the polarization for a player like Power is that he's only #1 overall for half of the rankings and is ranked below #5 by three major sources -- FC Hockey (6), Smaht Scouting (6) and Dobber Prospects (9).

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is disparity which exists with Edvinsson but does not exist with Power, Clarke or Hughes. Edvinsson has rankings in the teens to early 20s (Pronman, Kournianos, Recruites). Those other guys are staples in the top 10.

I found exactly 4 major top 5 rankings (out of 20 or so) for Edvinsson -- TSN/McKenzie (2), FCHockey (2), Smaht Scouting (4) and McKeens (5). I will concede that the TSN/McKenzie rankings are generally the most accurate, however, so this would work in favor for what you're saying. But the converse here is that the polarization with Edvinsson is huge at #2 to #21, whereas the polarization for a player like Power is that he's only #1 overall for half of the rankings and is ranked below #5 by three major sources -- FC Hockey (6), Smaht Scouting (6) and Dobber Prospects (9).
The problem is those are people doing their own personal rankings. I would bet most of them expect him to go higher than that they just don’t think he should. NHL.com also had him at 2 back in January and more recently ranked as the 2nd best defencemen ahead of Hughes and Clarke. The article I posted a link to was a devils article essentially ranking Edvinsson above Hughes and Clarke. The guy writing the article references what NHL scouts told him multiple times and it wouldn’t surprise me if the guy writing for the Devils is talking to Devils scouts.

I’m not debating whether he should go in the top 5 or not just saying that it’s very likely he does and if he doesn’t he’ll go not long after. The only place I don’t think the Devils could take Edvinsson is at #1. It’s quite possible at 2, 4, 5, or 6.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think size is often overstated with hockey players, especially when separated from physicality and compete level.

For instance, the three most physical "power scoring forwards" in the 2021 draft would have to be Mason McTavish (6'2-210), Zachary L'Heureux (5'11-195) and Brennan Othmann (6'0-175). Right behind them is Nikita Chibrikov (5'10-170).

But the three top "two-way" Fs -- all of whom can also play the physical game -- are Matt Beniers (6'1-175), Fyodor Svechkov (6'0-180) and William Eklund (5'10-170).

If you're looking at the Islanders pick, one of my favorites for that spot is Isak Rosen (5'11-155), who plays with maximum compete and fears nothing, as opposed to countryman William Stromgren (6'3-190) who plays with maybe one-quarter of Rosen's edge and ferocity.

With defensemen, who's the best open-ice hitter in the draft? Well it's not 6'6 Owen Power or 6'5 Simon Edvinsson, but rather 5'9 Sean Behrens -- whose closest comparable is a young Andy Greene only much meaner. Behrens is a regular on all the USA tournament teams which are missed by Scott Morrow (6'3-200), who very much does not like to hit or be hit.

Size is an asset, for certain, but it's not even as directly related to strength as most people think, much less hockey ability. Who wins a physical puck battle between 5'9 Brayden Point and 6'4 Travis Sanheim or 6'3 Jacob Larsson? I'm betting on Point every time. The biggest two teams in the NHL for the past two years have been Anaheim and Ottawa, and they've been in the draft lottery both years.

I think size is a much bigger issue in the collective form than it is for the individual. Same for toughness/physicality .

On an induvial basis none of it means much but when it comes team construction there needs to be a blend. So if you are adding the 5'10 - 170 guy to team that averages 6'1.5'' and 203 lbs (I believe that is the league average) probably no issue...If you are adding that guy to a team that averages 5'11 - 190...It definitely is an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think size is a much bigger issue in the collective form than it is for the induvial. Same for toughness/physicality .

On an induvial basis none of it means much but when it comes team construction there needs to be a blend. So if you are adding the 5'10 - 170 guy to team that averages 6'1.5'' and 203 lbs (I believe that is the league average) probably no issue...If you are adding that guy to a team that averages 5'11 - 190...It definitely is an issue.

I don't think size is as much of an issue with our team when you look at who's here and who is coming:

Bastian (assuming he's still here) - 6'4" 205
Boqvist - 6'0" 180
Hischier - 6'1" 175
Kuokkanen - 6'1" 193
Maltsev - 6'3" 198
McLeod - 6'2" 188
Sharangovich - 6'2" 196
Wood - 6'2" 195
Zacha - 6'3" 210

Foote - 6'3" 196
Mercer - 6'0" 180

Now, if you think it's more about guys playing physically with their size, that's a different story. Just because our most skilled guys are on the smaller side like Hughes and Bratt doesn't necessarily mean we're overwrought with little guys.

Nice to see you back around here, btw.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think size is a much bigger issue in the collective form than it is for the induvial. Same for toughness/physicality .

I see your point, but ultimately I can give a s--t about measurements. I'll take 20 guys at 5'10 170 who hit and compete over 20 low-compete 6'5 Anthony Manthas and 6'4 Mirco Muellers any day of the week.

Give me hockey players. The Toronto Maple Leafs are -- on paper -- a far bigger team than the Montreal Canadiens. But Montreal hit and competed and battled, while Toronto floated to the perimeter and didn't play with much grit or compete. And this is why the Canadiens are still playing hockey and the Maple Leafs are playing golf.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

Neato that he’s ranked like a repair mans estimated arrival time of “between” X and Y. And I stress X and Y.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I see your point, but ultimately I can give a s--t about measurements. I'll take 20 guys at 5'10 170 who hit and compete over 20 low-compete 6'5 Anthony Manthas and 6'4 Mirco Muellers any day of the week.

Give me hockey players. The Toronto Maple Leafs are -- on paper -- a far bigger team than the Montreal Canadiens. But Montreal hit and competed and battled, while Toronto floated to the perimeter and didn't play with much grit or compete. And this is why the Canadiens are still playing hockey and the Maple Leafs are playing golf.

I absolutely agree with that...How does it go about the size of the fight in the dog :) but there are some physics at play here that can't be denied. And for the Devils I think they are continually exposed in those down low dirty areas, especially but not exclusively in the D zone because of their lack of size...Especially in their top 6 forwards and their defense overall. We don't have any pitbulls on this team nothing even remotely close to even the tenacity Coleman brought...So both physically and stylistically I think this team is severely lacking those elements...

Adding a Coleman doesn't do much for the group collectively... The top 6 forwards and most of the D are still small and on the soft side and are going to play 30 to 40 minutes of the game. It's a problem.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

That’s my fear is that we draft 5th and the top four is (in any order) Power Benier Clarke Huges . Then if Fitz goes Edvinsson I’d be pissed but would be ok with Eklund

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Okay friends, I'm going to use this thread to write a few final draft prospect profiles, mostly focusing on sleepers and guys who might represent a mid or late round value. I'm going to start with a couple of players who were referred to me by one of the best, up-and-coming prospect analysts around, @thethinglonger -- who also has compiled so many terrific prospect videos for all of us to educate ourselves from.

If anyone would like a write-up of any prospect I have yet to compile (I think I have around 100, but I lose track), just ask me on this thread or message me. We've still got over a month until the draft and I have a ton of notes written up, so I should be able to write-up anyone you would want, so long as they're not a goaltender.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Okay friends, I'm going to use this thread to write a few final draft prospect profiles, mostly focusing on sleepers and guys who might represent a mid or late round value. I'm going to start with a couple of players who were referred to me by one of the best, up-and-coming prospect analysts around, @thethinglonger -- who also has compiled so many terrific prospect videos for all of us to educate ourselves from.

If anyone would like a write-up of any prospect I have yet to compile (I think I have around 100, but I lose track), just ask me on this thread or message me. We've still got over a month until the draft and I have a ton of notes written up, so I should be able to write-up anyone you would want, so long as they're not a goaltender.

I think it’s really great you think of us as friends

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad