Stephen Weiss

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I've been a huge doubter the season but SW is proving me wrong. He is contributing to our success, definitely not a liability. It's great that even though not able to hold that 2nd line C position he is playing well. Weiss provides solid depth. I could see him improving his game as time passes and offering even more. Good for him.

I dont know if the statement "not able to hold that 2nd line C position"
is accurate. Legwand last year... 1st line Center to 4th line wing, while having decent production? Seems very fishy to me sometimes. I think maybe Babcock is rating players not the same ways we are. LOL.

Weiss being on the 4th line ever sounds dumb. Jurco has shown me no reason to give him more than 4th line minutes honestly.

Helm, Abdelkader great work this year. Much more production than I expected.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
How could you possibly blame anyone, who didn't expect a bounce back season like that? Based on his ever lasting injury and his few performances, no one could have seen that.
All the better to see him play like that right now. Good for him, good for us. Keep that up, Stephen.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
How could you possibly blame anyone, who didn't expect a bounce back season like that? Based on his ever lasting injury and his few performances, no one could have seen that.

Actually you would find a lot of us expected him to return to be more than passable 3C or better. Most of you wrote him off and wanted to buy him out for nothing. You dont lose ability through injuries. I expect if he makes it through the year and has a strong off-season that Weiss will return full time to 2C or 3C.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He was on a 12 game goal-less drought before last night, and he played several of those games not on the 4th line.

He played 4th line Wing for probably half those games. The rest, he would have been playing 3rd line Wing at best.

Weiss plays well for the time he is given. 12 game goalless streak is about the same as our heralded captain who had 1 goal in 21 odd games and gets 1st line minutes, 1st PP oppurtunities everygame. Dont hear too many people pushing Z to the 4th line and complaining about it.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Actually you would find a lot of us expected him to return to be more than passable 3C or better. Most of you wrote him off and wanted to buy him out for nothing. You dont lose ability through injuries. I expect if he makes it through the year and has a strong off-season that Weiss will return full time to 2C or 3C.

First of all, I wasn't here before January of 2014. So I didn't get all the oppinions on him. But what I gathered from then on, is that it wasn't easy to find someone, who believed in him having such a bounce back season.

Secondly, I can't recall saying that I wanted to buy him out for nothing. I simply didn't expect to see him bouncing back like this - at least not this season. And that's not due to his lack of qualities - I like that guy and his qualities -, but rather due to his long-term groin injury that looked like a never ending one. It isn't totally off track to assume that he possibly won't go through his second adolescence after experiencing a season like last one. That's why I'm glad that he proved me wrong and came back much stronger than expected.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You dont lose ability through injuries.

You absolutely can. It's happened countless times.

Actually you would find a lot of us expected him to return to be more than passable 3C or better. Most of you wrote him off and wanted to buy him out for nothing.

It's a good thing what we think/thought has 0 impact on Weiss's career. Don't see the point why people bring this up so so much.

I'm sure there were some SJ fans that thought Cheechoo was going to bounce back, and it never happened. I'm sure there were some PHI fans hoping to get the Lecavlier of old, and never happened. We're not talking about Franzen slumping for 2 weeks, and people talking about buying him out. We're talking about a player being ineffective or injured for 2 years. The concerns and talk of buy-out were justified. If you weren't deterred, congrats.
Weiss never bouncing back was a pretty realistic scenario.

I expect if he makes it through the year and has a strong off-season that Weiss will return full time to 2C or 3C.

Beat writers have said they don't ever see him playing center here. At least not as long as Babcock's here.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I dont know if the statement "not able to hold that 2nd line C position"
is accurate. Legwand last year... 1st line Center to 4th line wing, while having decent production? Seems very fishy to me sometimes. I think maybe Babcock is rating players not the same ways we are. LOL.

Weiss being on the 4th line ever sounds dumb. Jurco has shown me no reason to give him more than 4th line minutes honestly.

Helm, Abdelkader great work this year. Much more production than I expected.

Same can be said about Howard and Quincey. Maybe not points wise for QFC but just the way hes playing in his own end this year. Give credit to DD all you want, but the fact remains Q has been a lot better.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
So our FA signing destined to be our 2nd line centre at the time now has a chance to step up. Having been given 4th line Wing duties for near on every game since his return, Zetterberg might be out tomorrrow.

Yet instead of bringing Weiss up even a little bit, Luke Glendening gets the 3C spot and Riley "9 goals in 57 games" gets put up to the 2nd line.

Why does Babcock hate Weiss so much? What is Babcocks issue with the Weiss/Legwand style of player? These two were given the biggest doghouse of all. Neither him or Sheahan have been super productive of late but Sheahan at least has had opportunity.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Tommorows lines as per Ansar:

Here are the lines they skated with on Sunday:

Tomas Tatar-Pavel Datsyuk-Darren Helm
Gustav Nyquist-Riley Sheahan-Justin Abdelkader
Drew Miller-Luke Glendening-Tomas Jurco
Stephen Weiss-Joakim Andersson-Daniel Cleary

On defense:

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson
Jakub Kindl-Danny DeKeyser
Brendan Smith-Alexey Marchenko

Jimmy Howard (starting)
Jonas Gustavsson

Its starting to look like potato central again.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
So our FA signing destined to be our 2nd line centre at the time now has a chance to step up. Having been given 4th line Wing duties for near on every game since his return, Zetterberg might be out tomorrrow.

Yet instead of bringing Weiss up even a little bit, Luke Glendening gets the 3C spot and Riley "9 goals in 57 games" gets put up to the 2nd line.

Why does Babcock hate Weiss so much? What is Babcocks issue with the Weiss/Legwand style of player? These two were given the biggest doghouse of all. Neither him or Sheahan have been super productive of late but Sheahan at least has had opportunity.

Think Babs just doesn't trust Weiss with the defensive responsibilities he demands of his centers. Weiss is paid too much for where he's ending up in the depth chart, but if he produces it's not a trainwreck.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
My issue is more with Sheahan still not quite being ready to produce at 2nd line capable, and Glendenning having no hope of producing points at a 3C level.

Dont get me wrong. I love Sheahan, and I love Glendening. I dont believe either should be ahead of Weiss, a former 1C (admittedly above his ability). Especially when Weiss hasnt been given that chance to produce yet.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
My issue is more with Sheahan still not quite being ready to produce at 2nd line capable, and Glendenning having no hope of producing points at a 3C level.

Dont get me wrong. I love Sheahan, and I love Glendening. I dont believe either should be ahead of Weiss, a former 1C (admittedly above his ability). Especially when Weiss hasnt been given that chance to produce yet.

I don't think it's about production so much as it is about defensive responsibilities.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Babcock re-signs I think you have to buy out Weiss. He doesn't like him and he isn't going to use him.

With that said Stephen Weiss would probably offer them protection for the Las Vegas expansion draft. I am curious to see how teams plot that out. I would probably give them our third in 2016 (for future considerations i.e. you take Weiss and it protects us from having more selected if it is a two team expansion even) and Weiss.

That is something real we are going to have to consider, who gets protected and where do they go. Getting them to take what we want them to take isn't unheard of in the expansion process, Weiss would likely be ideal for them and us.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
If Babcock re-signs I think you have to buy out Weiss. He doesn't like him and he isn't going to use him.

With that said Stephen Weiss would probably offer them protection for the Las Vegas expansion draft. I am curious to see how teams plot that out. I would probably give them our third in 2016 (for future considerations i.e. you take Weiss and it protects us from having more selected if it is a two team expansion even) and Weiss.

That is something real we are going to have to consider, who gets protected and where do they go. Getting them to take what we want them to take isn't unheard of in the expansion process, Weiss would likely be ideal for them and us.

How many do they take? Weiss and Big E? Would save us a lot of cap and make room for upgrades.

Z and Pulks are hurt and we're still running Weiss on the 4th line? just buy him out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Babs is going to Babs.

No stopping that.

babcockgif.gif

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

You only buy out Weiss if you believe his contract will hurt the team in the long term. I don't believe it will. He'll have three more seasons left. Tatar is already locked up for two more years, DeKeyser and Sheahan are signed for another. Only Nyquist needs to be resigned this offseason, I believe. If you're going to buy out Weiss you may as well wait as long as possible to do so.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You only buy out Weiss if you believe his contract will hurt the team in the long term. I don't believe it will. He'll have three more seasons left. Tatar is already locked up for two more years, DeKeyser and Sheahan are signed for another. Only Nyquist needs to be resigned this offseason, I believe. If you're going to buy out Weiss you may as well wait as long as possible to do so.

I think buying out Weiss makes sense, he makes too much money for his role and we have cheaper options available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad