Stephen Weiss

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why would we buyout Weiss after he's finally back and proving himself a good secondary scorer on this team? He's getting garbage goals left and right, something this team really needs.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You can buy him out, but his cap hit will be recaptured. He is either getting LTIR'd or gonna get paid to watch from the press box.

Weiss is not getting a fair shake. He is getting the Hudler treatment x100.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
Weiss, when healthy (=this season), has been phenomenal in my opinion. I dont get all the hate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why would we buyout Weiss after he's finally back and proving himself a good secondary scorer on this team? He's getting garbage goals left and right, something this team really needs.

Posted this in another thread, but I will drop it here now that we're talking about Weiss

I know this will be unpopular... but should 15 good games from Weiss make him exempt from a buy-out?

He's being used as a 3rd line wing or 4th line wing. NOT the #2 center that he was brought here to play, and more importantly, is being PAID to play as.

We have 3rd line wingers in spades, and it might be a better idea long-term to slot Pulkkinen as a 3rd line winger instead of Weiss. As it stands there isn't much room for Pulkkinen.

His durability issues, coupled with the fact that Babcock doesn't trust him as much more than a depth winger should not be overlooked. Even though I am glad he has contributed as of late.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm hopeful about Weiss. He seems to be trying. I'd just like to see him string together like 40 games where he contributes regularly, because he's still got approximately 280 games as a Red Wing left on his contract.

He's not getting the ice time to do that lately, for one reason or another. Probably health or because Babcock is pulling a Legwand maneuver. Babcock is also pretty meticulous about what he expects from players away from the puck, which admittedly, I haven't watched Weiss that closely in that regard.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
Posted this in another thread, but I will drop it here now that we're talking about Weiss

I know this will be unpopular... but should 15 good games from Weiss make him exempt from a buy-out?

He's being used as a 3rd line wing or 4th line wing. NOT the #2 center that he was brought here to play, and more importantly, is being PAID to play as.

We have 3rd line wingers in spades, and it might be a better idea long-term to slot Pulkkinen as a 3rd line winger instead of Weiss. As it stands there isn't much room for Pulkkinen.

His durability issues, coupled with the fact that Babcock doesn't trust him as much more than a depth winger should not be overlooked. Even though I am glad he has contributed as of late.

Answer: NO! But should 26 poor games, playing through an injury, make him a primary buyout candidate? NO!

Let's see what he can do when healthy and playing top6-minutes. What he showed this far is promising, I really hope he can keep up this kind of play over a full season if he doesnt get buried on the fourth line...

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
If Weiss is healthy comes playoffs (assuming there is a playoffs for DET :sarcasm:) then I bet he earns his $$$ big time.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You can buy him out, but his cap hit will be recaptured. He is either getting LTIR'd or gonna get paid to watch from the press box.

Weiss is not getting a fair shake. He is getting the Hudler treatment x100.

Hudler got top 6 minutes in Detroit. Even strength and powerplay.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Answer: NO! But should 26 poor games, playing through an injury, make him a primary buyout candidate? NO!

Let's see what he can do when healthy and playing top6-minutes. What he showed this far is promising, I really hope he can keep up this kind of play over a full season if he doesnt get buried on the fourth line...

He needs to show he can stay healthy, and show that he can solidify a spot above a 3rd line winger (whether that's his fault or not) for him to be exempt from buy-out talk for me.

I don't know if it will or won't happen, but that's what I'm looking for.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Why buy him out when you can trade him. He hasn't been horrible and looks to be healthy.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Summer buyout incoming, Sheahan pretty much stole his role as 2C, Doesn't fit this team anymore

Sheahan has a ways to go before he's stealing a 2C role from anyone. 35 points does not a 2C make. Sheahan needs to start converting on more of the chances he's getting if he's going to be relied upon.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Sheahan has a ways to go before he's stealing a 2C role from anyone. 35 points does not a 2C make. Sheahan needs to start converting on more of the chances he's getting if he's going to be relied upon.

He's definitely capable. He battles for the puck well but, he's also very creative. My only issue with him is that he seems to have dropped the creativity side of his game to be more technical the past 20 games or so. How many times did we see him feed Tatar and Jurco with out-of-the-hat passes that even Tatar and Jurco weren't expecting early in the season? (thus, fumbling on them)

He needs to read the offensive side of the game better. When to go into traffic areas and when to stay out and make a play. Other than that, I think he's pretty much there already.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Wasn't sure if this is worthy of a new thread or not, but I think he's deserving. He's had quite the bounce back season so far.

Last year: 26 GP, 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 pts
This year: 25 GP, 6 Goals, 11 assists, 17 pts

All while basically playing 3rd/4th line minutes. To be fair he also gets a decent amount of PP time this season (little over 2min/game).

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Weiss has been showing up, glad to see him rebounding. Garbage goals or not, the Wings need them and he said it himself, he needs those confidence goals to get the pressure off after he had 2+ injury plagued years.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Anyone know what kind of minutes/linemates he has when he has had succesful games this year pointwise? he's had some 2-3pts games, is there a correlation somehwere?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I've been a huge doubter the season but SW is proving me wrong. He is contributing to our success, definitely not a liability. It's great that even though not able to hold that 2nd line C position he is playing well. Weiss provides solid depth. I could see him improving his game as time passes and offering even more. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad