Stephen Weiss

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Helen St. James is an idiot and I never take anything she says seriously. She has no connections with anyone in management. She's just trying to fill her story quota for the offseason. She has to write about something that people will click on.

She says Weiss should be worth holding onto because he put up points on a bad Florida team over four seasons ago. "He knows something about being productive," is probably the most laughable thing I've read. That's not deep analysis. In fact, I'm sure someone on HFBoards could put together a better reason statically to keep him (or dump him).

A buyout of $1-1.5 million for several seasons is not "significant" like she claims. Having $4.9 million sit in the press box is much, much worse.

What? Of course she does. All of the beat writers have connections.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What? Of course she does. All of the beat writers have connections.

lol, you think people like Ken Holland feed Helen St. James information about roster moves? Ok, find me a story that Helen St. James broke before anyone else about a free agent signing or trade. Not a story where she's just speculating or rumor mongering.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
lol, you think people like Ken Holland feed Helen St. James information about roster moves? Ok, find me a story that Helen St. James broke before anyone else about a free agent signing or trade. Not a story where she's just speculating or rumor mongering.

Are you saying no one in Detroit has connections? Because I'm pretty sure no one breaks stories in Detroit first. But yes, I do think that HSJ and Khan correspond with Holland and other management via text and/or e-mail. That's how it works.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd rather have Shaun Weiss.

Who is that you ask???

the-mighty-ducks-original_crop_650x440%20copy.jpg

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Are you saying no one in Detroit has connections? Because I'm pretty sure no one breaks stories in Detroit first. But yes, I do think that HSJ and Khan correspond with Holland and other management via text and/or e-mail. That's how it works.

Of course they do, they need to get quotes. But they more than likely go through Red Wings PR. Holland isn't feeding HSJ information about Weiss. This is just her speculating.

Again, find me a story that HSJ broke first about the Red Wings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Of course they do, they need to get quotes. But they more than likely go through Red Wings PR. Holland isn't feeding HSJ information about Weiss. This is just her speculating.

Again, find me a story that HSJ broke first about the Red Wings.

Like I said before. No Wings beat writers are breaking stories before guys like Aaron Ward or Dreger or McKenzie. They wait for Holland to give confirmation before doing anything. HSJ probably is speculating ...based on things Holland has said to the beat writers. Ever notice how every single beat writer writes the exact same story? It's because they all get the same information. It's exactly why Khan just said the other day that Weiss won't be traded.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=767842

I know, I know, dead horses and whatnot.

I'm sorry it just blows my mind that a guy can have the 3rd highest shooting percentage in the league and get the same ice time as nestrasil and andersson.

I'm not saying it's sustainable. But for ****'s sake, when you need points, you play the guys who are scoring. I don't see how that's a controversial opinion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather have Shaun Weiss.

Who is that you ask???

the-mighty-ducks-original_crop_650x440%20copy.jpg

Gold, Jerry, gold!

the draft is the high point and then free agency is just a repeat of the Hindenburg crash every year, year after year, since 2009.

At least last year it was Holland striking out rather than sitting back and watching all the good players go for "too much money."

Here's the problem this off-season though, there's so few good players to spend free agent money on, it's almost a guarantee the Wings snag a guy who is past his prime and making the most money of his career. :cry:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Gold, Jerry, gold!

At least last year it was Holland striking out rather than sitting back and watching all the good players go for "too much money."

Here's the problem this off-season though, there's so few good players to spend free agent money on, it's almost a guarantee the Wings snag a guy who is past his prime and making the most money of his career. :cry:

Last year was the worse. It all happened in slow motion.

*Offer Ehrhoff good contract, signs for less money and term in Pittsburgh*

Welp.

*Offer Boyle TOO much money and term, signs for less of both in New York*

Probably dodged a bullet there.

*Don't offer Stralman enough of either*

The ****, Kenny.

*Offer comparable amount of term and contract as Washington for Niskanen*

Well, that seemed like a gamble at the time.

After Niskanen was signed and it appeared the options were exhausted, it seemed okay, we'll go with the kids, should be fine.

*Sign Quincey, who no one appeared to want, 2 year deal and a raise*

Oh ****, can today get any worse?

*Rumors of Cleary contract*

Everyone's in a panic and in denial.

*Cleary is signed*

Red Wings HF should have probably been shut down for a month with a bio-hazard tent over top of it.

Last summer was the worse UFA period ever.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The team was playing fantastic last year at one point and were #1 or #2 in the East at the time and were true cup contenders. People forget this. Our D isn't as bad as perceived. And with more youth infusion we're in good position. Just need to drop a few, add some kids and make a move or two.

The team was over achieving and came back down to earth. The D is a mess, the core is aging and this team is in no way a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad