Stephane Waite on Carey Price “He had tears under his mask, he thought fans didn’t like him anymore”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
So you are saying he is on the downside of his career? He needs to earn his paycheck. What he did in the past is commendable but his play last season was embarrassing. No slack. Perform or leave

That perform or get shipped out mentality has bitten us in the ass before, trade the player when the values at an all time low just to watch them bounce back on another team. He knows he played the shits, he’ll work at it over the summer and be back in jesus price form for 18-19, good enough to drag this sad sack team into playoff contention. :thumbu:

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
He's a bloody multi millionaire. If he has issues, he has MORE THAN ENOUGH resources to sort them out. He's just being a spoiled baby. I don't even get why he deserves so much respect; he's not even the best goalie in the league/has never and will likely never win a Cup and is the most over paid player in the league (no other player gets 10.5 Million for playing 55-60 games). The only time he won anything was because he was behind the best D unit this country has ever produced. Give me a freaking break.
:help:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
n2CGgML.gif

Ive never seen waite blink

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
She was beautiful. My boy is 14 in October. I will be destroyed when he passes. View attachment 122367
Goldens are my favs.

We've touched on this before, them dying. It's so hard.

Even 30 months after and im broken about it.

Your dog is exactly the kind of dog Ive always wanted.

So he was born around the same time as mine. She'd be 14 on next Oct 17th.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
I can't talk for Price but I went through similar situation at work. I was working for a small tech company and moved up pretty quickly as the company grew. I decided to switch departments and start a new career. Unfortunately, I encountered health issue (which were only discovered many years after the fact). So was stating a new career, had fatigue issue due to these health issues, and my new co-workers were jealous of me getting many promotions and they started back stabbing me. All of this really took a negative affect on me. And when other VPs came to my defense is had an emotional impact on me. we are not robots...we are all human and feeling loved is important. All because someone plays hockey or has any other high profile career does not make them less human. Even our CEO had to take time off when he had personal issues. I'm older then most here, trust me it happens...

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I can't talk for Price but I went through similar situation at work. I was working for a small tech company and moved up pretty quickly as the company grew. I decided to switch departments and start a new career. Unfortunately, I encountered health issue (which were only discovered many years after the fact). So was stating a new career, had fatigue issue due to these health issues, and my new co-workers were jealous of me getting many promotions and they started back stabbing me. All of this really took a negative affect on me. And when other VPs came to my defense is had an emotional impact on me. we are not robots...we are all human and feeling loved is important. All because someone plays hockey or has any other high profile career does not make them less human. Even our CEO had to take time off when he had personal issues. I'm older then most here, trust me it happens...
This is fine but sports is very different than other work environments. You have to win in this business to matter and you have to have nerves of steel to deal with the insane pressure of rabid fans, especially in our market. Are you gonna tell us that Price was unaware of what he was getting himself involved in when he signed the largest deal in NHL history for a goalie in the most pressure cooker of hockey markets for goalies? The reason why someone like Price, who doesn't even have a university education, can get paid as much money as he does has a lot to do with his supposed ability to handle pressure better than most mortal humans on the planet.

The reality is that he wasn't good this past season, so what exactly does he expect? A tap on the back and thank you for trying? Sports is about winning, not about making anyone feel loved. This is why they get paid the big bucks, because they are amongst the world's very best (think 0.01%) at the job that they do.

It's frankly absurd to think that the highest paid athlete at his position needs to feel the love of his fans to perform at even a decent level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide and Habs

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Im almost ready to get another dog.

I was thinking, cross Golden and Border Collie.

But I feel like a traitor to my girl.

I can't give you any advice on that as I've had one so far my entire life. But I don't think fostering and caring for another dog is being a traitor to your first. If anything you're spreading the wealth of your time and energy to help multiple dogs.

Also @Per Sjoblom , you're dog is gorgeous!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is fine but sports is very different than other work environments. You have to win in this business to matter and you have to have nerves of steel to deal with the insane pressure of rabid fans, especially in our market. Are you gonna tell us that Price was unaware of what he was getting himself involved in when he signed the largest deal in NHL history for a goalie in the most pressure cooker of hockey markets for goalies? The reason why someone like Price, who doesn't even have a university education, can get paid as much money as he does has a lot to do with his supposed ability to handle pressure better than most mortal humans on the planet.

The reality is that he wasn't good this past season, so what exactly does he expect? A tap on the back and thank you for trying? Sports is about winning, not about making anyone feel loved. This is why they get paid the big bucks, because they are amongst the world's very best (think 0.01%) at the job that they do.

It's frankly absurd to think that the highest paid athlete at his position needs to feel the love of his fans to perform at even a decent level.

Price himself has first hand knowledge of what playing in this city both when things are going great and going terrible. He went from being the next Patrick Roy, to Halak’s backup, to watching the city just about burn itself down when Halak was traded in favour of him, to becoming one or the most player on the team just a season after that trade. Maybe he’s forgotten what the lows are like as he’s been riding a high for so long. Even the season he was hurt, they made it all about him. He wasn’t going to go the rest of his entire playing career without facing any adversity again. He’s got to snap out of whatever it is he’s going threw emotionally. He’ll get eaten alive if he doesn’t.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
I love Carey but he wouldn't get so much heat if he signed at even a slightly more modest $9 million. He wanted the big money, deal with the consequences of your bad season.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I love Carey but he wouldn't get so much heat if he signed at even a slightly more modest $9 million. He wanted the big money, deal with the consequences of your bad season.

Yes he would have.

There are folks in this thread who I recall saying he didn't deserve more than $7M and any more than $7M would cripple our cap because goalies shouldn't get paid as there's a dozen that can do the job.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

People gave Pacioretty a ton of heat this year and he makes less than Alzner. Hell, Pacioretty got a ton of heat in previous years when he was scoring 30+ a year for a song.

The contract frustrates a lot of people, but I doubt the criticism would have let up much or at all if he hadn't signed it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I can't speak for everyone...but i've never wanted or expected transparency.

Some things I don't want or need to know, this is a perfect example of things I don't need to know.

I agree with your previous comment about Waite sharing a private conversation. There is a limit of scrutiny that should be applied here.

Hearsay conversations are just that, and open to misinterpretation, and if indeed Price was upset about something, we know he has emotions. Big ******* deal.

I'm considerably more concerned about the bottom of the league defence in front of Price than the rumour he had a bad day.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Goldens are my favs.

We've touched on this before, them dying. It's so hard.

Even 30 months after and im broken about it.

Your dog is exactly the kind of dog Ive always wanted.

So he was born around the same time as mine. She'd be 14 on next Oct 17th.

Mine is 3/4 golden and 1/4 chow but the funny thing is that the chow is strong in him, in that picture if you look closely you can see that he has a purple tongue. He's always been somewhat reserved toward strangers although he has mellowed a bit. He is very smart, can't say that about our latest dog which is a shar pei. He's a really funny dog but not very smart, might be that he was a stray and has been treated badly by humans. He has really nasty scars and the first time I put the leash on,
Luke.jpg
he pressed himself to the floor and looked scared and submissive, I suspect he has been beaten with the leash.
You can see some scars on the bridge of his snout, he has also something that looks like it could be a burn mark on the back of his head, some horrible scars on his legs. He's a pure bone snout shar pei, the other type with those enormous wrinkles is called meat mouth. He is very alpha when it comes to other dogs and many that I have met thinks he's a pitt bull. The shar pei is one of the smallest mastiffs, that is also probably why they usually don't live more than 8-10 years. My vet thought the Luke is between 3-5 so we will enjoy his company for a while. He has a black tongue.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Long time lurker signing up to post on this thread. I have to say that people slagging off Price for daring to still have emotions and simply be Human (despite his mega salary) are themselves emotionally bankrupt. News Flash - star players are still people.

As a long time Habs fan from London (England, not Ontario) and even longer-time Crystal Palace fan, I can see the similarities with Palace's own Wilf Zaha. He's on the biggest ever contract Palace has ever given any player and is expected to carry the team. Wilf absolutely thrives on being The Main Man and responds to the crowd each and every game - the crowd get behind him, sing his song (watch some Palace fan videos on YouTube) and guess what.....he delivers in spades.

I don't think Price is *quite* worth his contract, but that's on Bergevin's mismanagement (like so much else). I hope the folks jumping on him for being like Wilf Zaha and wanting to be "loved" in a sports sense are capable of a bit of introspection.......unless emotional intelligence is becoming as scarce on your side of the pond as it is on mine.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

Oh he still would if he played like shit..either at 9m , 8m , 7m etc. This is Montreal

The thing is that he's the one who take most of the heat because fans are sort of conditioned that Price is the one who will save the Habs when their ass are on the line even though he has a crappy D in front of him and some perimeter floaters upfront.

Sure he does deserve some blame when he has a stinker of a game but there are much bigger problems to deal with. #1 being the lack of centers which is inexcusable and that's on MB and the front office.

I absolutely hate Price new contract but he shouldn't be the one who take all the heat everytime something goes wrong. MB is a lot more to blame for the current state of the Habs imho but he's not on the ice so it's easier for the fans to scream out their frustrations at Price because he's the one playing 60mins per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad