Stephane Waite on Carey Price “He had tears under his mask, he thought fans didn’t like him anymore”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Im almost ready to get another dog.

I was thinking, cross Golden and Border Collie.

But I feel like a traitor to my girl.
I know how you feel. After my dog passed, my wife and kids got another puppy. I wasn’t ready and was upset for a bit but now I’m glad they did. But the new dog is more my kids’ dog than mine. And it’s not a golden.

DDFC74A2-1FFC-4EFA-AAFB-B9A1067C5DCC.jpeg

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
This is fine but sports is very different than other work environments. You have to win in this business to matter and you have to have nerves of steel to deal with the insane pressure of rabid fans, especially in our market. Are you gonna tell us that Price was unaware of what he was getting himself involved in when he signed the largest deal in NHL history for a goalie in the most pressure cooker of hockey markets for goalies? The reason why someone like Price, who doesn't even have a university education, can get paid as much money as he does has a lot to do with his supposed ability to handle pressure better than most mortal humans on the planet.

The reality is that he wasn't good this past season, so what exactly does he expect? A tap on the back and thank you for trying? Sports is about winning, not about making anyone feel loved. This is why they get paid the big bucks, because they are amongst the world's very best (think 0.01%) at the job that they do.

It's frankly absurd to think that the highest paid athlete at his position needs to feel the love of his fans to perform at even a decent level.

You have a very stone cold view of other humans

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He is human...

oh he is human

poor little thing

plays like god garbage , wins 10.5m a year
cant thanks the fan when they win at bell center
direspected fans and the medias all year
cant do his grocery alone

poor little human whos treated like a god and 1st class everyday of his life who gets a doctor at the second he needs

poor human

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Mine is 3/4 golden and 1/4 chow but the funny thing is that the chow is strong in him, in that picture if you look closely you can see that he has a purple tongue. He's always been somewhat reserved toward strangers although he has mellowed a bit. He is very smart, can't say that about our latest dog which is a shar pei.

You described my own dog. Black spots on the tongue. Reserved to strangers, probably more than yours as berneses are even more reserved than chows. A bit stubborn too. Exceedingly smart.

Recently, I've been taking care of a friend's dog one week-end out of two. A cross border and pit. Lively thing. You'd think she has a tesla coil up her heinie. Very affectionate as pits are. Socially inept with either humans or dogs. And despite a reputation for being dumb as rocks, she's actually pretty smart. Im thinking my friends interprets obedience as a sign of intelligence, and she's not obedient much.

He's a really funny dog but not very smart, might be that he was a stray and has been treated badly by humans. He has really nasty scars and the first time I put the leash on,View attachment 122407 he pressed himself to the floor and looked scared and submissive, I suspect he has been beaten with the leash.
You can see some scars on the bridge of his snout, he has also something that looks like it could be a burn mark on the back of his head, some horrible scars on his legs. He's a pure bone snout shar pei, the other type with those enormous wrinkles is called meat mouth. He is very alpha when it comes to other dogs and many that I have met thinks he's a pitt bull. The shar pei is one of the smallest mastiffs, that is also probably why they usually don't live more than 8-10 years. My vet thought the Luke is between 3-5 so we will enjoy his company for a while. He has a black tongue.

Im acquainted with most dog breeds, but ive never interacted with a Shar Pei. Although one of my friends has a bullmastiff, which ill assume is very similar. She's not very smart either.

Childhood traumas are a clear impediment to intellectual development in mammals, so i wouldnt be surprised that it has something to do with it.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Will always be a fan of Price. Last year was rough, no denying that at times it's frustrating and everyone knows that contract is what it is. I truly believed he was going to be one of the best goalies in the world years ago and was laughed at for having that opinion. I still believe he can rebound.

Reactions: BLONG7

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Really? This is sports man, it's about winning. As a highly paid athlete, and very privileged human, you have to earn the like of your supporters day in, day out, throughout your playing days. If this is given to you without even having to earn it, where is the incentive to be the absolute very best you can be for your fans?

Look at it this way, would Carey Price give a shit about any one of us in this city if the Habs didn't offer him 10.5 mill a year to stay here? It's a two-way street, and athletes usually go for their bottom line at the end of the day (as they most definitely should), we as fans have a duty to look after our own by expecting the highest of standards from our star athletes (Especially when they are paid like the absolute best).

Bill Bellichick is one of the most cutthroat people in the NFL, yet year after year his team is in the finals. Blind loyalty and sentimentalism don't win in sports.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Oh he still would if he played like ****..either at 9m , 8m , 7m etc. This is Montreal

The thing is that he's the one who take most of the heat because fans are sort of conditioned that Price is the one who will save the Habs when their ass are on the line even though he has a crappy D in front of him and some perimeter floaters upfront.

I think fans are sort of conditioned that the Goalie is the one who will save the Habs ass because that’s how it has been since 1986. 90% of any Habs success since then has been due to a goalie on a massive run. It feels like an endless cycle at this point.

What you’re saying is true but it’s definitely rooted in what I’m saying above.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Oh FFS, he's a freaking grown ass man playing in a performance-based only industry.
He thinks fans were against him? Euh...ya....because he ****ing sucked balls.

So he was touched by the ovation, ok man, that's cool. Totally fine. But I agree with ECW, it's pathetic for Waite to say this, like a Mom protecting her little baby boy.

Get healthy. Train. Come prepared and focused. Play hockey. Enough with the rest of this BS.
Um. How many mature, grown men can you name under 30 years old? I can't think of too many. I definitely think our female fans can chime in on that!

Reactions: McTusk

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
I hope he demands a trade out of there then the fans will seenwhat they had, look at the roster in the cup years with Roy tending. They had actual goal scorers and hall of fame defenceman.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The board knows that i'm a Subban Fanatic and that i don't like Price but a Halak fan??... thats just you and Guy..AND maybe 2 or 3 other posters. Dats it.
And me, so that leaves only 1 or 2 more posters that know you as the Halak guy. With a strong dash of PK Subban.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Remember the " I feel like a Hobbit ", and something about just staying in his hole/ home etc ? I thought WTF then and I think WTF now.

I mean I know he is human. I'm a human, you are a human, we are all humans, okay. Getting boos and being trashed for your play, not fun . I get that.

But while from afar Price seems like a decent, funny and thoughtful guy that you could kick back with and have a beer, none of us get to do that. So its not that we like him because he is a friend. What we feel for the guy is how he performs on the ice. Play great get the cheers, play bad you get boos.

And you know, when I heard Price signed for $10.5M I thought, yeah, no discount there. I mean I guess I cried at the size of the deal but my feelings weren't hurt seeing that Price didn't sign for less to show us that he liked us Habs fans and the team. You know, clearly it was show me the money or I walk.

I mean I just don't know what make of it. And why the heck are they making this public ? Think about Todd Marchand. "Hi Price , have any good cries lately ?"

Not good. Eight more years
Geez, when Todd Marchant comes out of retirement to razz you, you know its bad

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
While it sucks he feels that way, he kind of brought it on himself with his lackadaisical performance this year. A lot of times he just looked like he mentally shut down, or blocked himself off, or just looked like he didn't care. Of course he's going to get criticism when he's our franchise goalie being paid $10.5 million until he's 39 years old.

Just play at the level you can and fans will appreciate it. Everyone knows Price can do much, much better than he did this year, and a lot of it came on his own back and the way he looked this season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hope he demands a trade out of there then the fans will seenwhat they had, look at the roster in the cup years with Roy tending. They had actual goal scorers and hall of fame defenceman.
A lot of people would be happy to get rid of Price and his 10.5M, including myself. Not because we think he sucks, but because we want the Habs to rebuild.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Come on man. I bet this isn't even true.
Price has been around Montreal long enough to know how crazy it can get. He was booed at the Bell Center during the first period of a pre-season game and his relaxed-demeanor response was tell fans to just chill.
So I don't really buy this idea he felt fans turned on him. I honestly thinks this phases him very little.
If we was so sensitive, he'd have long requested a move out of here.
So I think this is just management trying to protect him in their stupid ways.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I don't really feel sorry for him. He decided to take out his anger on reporters and the fans for the stupid rumours on social media. All I know is that he better deliver.

I am sorry but just... how in the world can you for one second not put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what it would be like to go through something like that..FALSEhoods no less.. and its ONLY coming from ...reporters and fans..

and , stupid rumors?...did you READ and SEE the stuff people were saying..? ALL of it? it was BRUTAL ive never heard such terrible things and i pay attention to all things NFL

to think all athletes never hear a single thing said about them...in this day and age? thats just being naive.

Watching that clip of him crying..that really got to me, and i know he will play his best for this city from now on, it was normal to get distracted a bit from you know, creating a family, and ..you know.. having the worst canadiens team in the history of the franchise in front of him.

I have the utmost faith in Carey, and everyone forgets the salary cap rises 2 million every year, and carey already made 6.5 before.. its really not and not going to be the most crippling contract people think it will be, the weber contract is much worse imo at the moment

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't know about you guys but if I were Price and read that Waite had said this about me in an interview I would be pissed. If the guy was going through mental issues or marriage problems or whatever there is a good chance that Waite would know it and the last thing he should be doing is giving the media more fuel.

Price did sign the deal and he knows the pressures of Montreal so if he indeed was crying under his mask, why on earth would someone think it would be a good idea to share this? If things go badly next season the media will key on the fact that now they see Price as a head case who can no longer handle the responsibility of being the number one goalie and highest paid player for the CH. There was literally nothing to gain from Waite saying any of this. Just stay quiet, it was a bad year and keep working to get better for next year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I am sorry but just... how in the world can you for one second not put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what it would be like to go through something like that..FALSEhoods no less.. and its ONLY coming from ...reporters and fans..

and , stupid rumors?...did you READ and SEE the stuff people were saying..? ALL of it? it was BRUTAL ive never heard such terrible things and i pay attention to all things NFL

to think all athletes never hear a single thing said about them...in this day and age? thats just being naive.

Watching that clip of him crying..that really got to me, and i know he will play his best for this city from now on, it was normal to get distracted a bit from you know, creating a family, and ..you know.. having the worst canadiens team in the history of the franchise in front of him.

I have the utmost faith in Carey, and everyone forgets the salary cap rises 2 million every year, and carey already made 6.5 before.. its really not and not going to be the most crippling contract people think it will be, the weber contract is much worse imo at the moment
Well...don't know about you, but to be a professional athlete, getting more than 10M in revenue a year...Ya, I'll put myself in his shoes and they would feel pretty freaking great.
So the criticism is harsh, and there are insane stupid rumors out there. So what man.
At the end of the day, I'm healthy, I have a wife, a baby, the financial status for myself and family is pretty much set for the rest of my life. I can buy pretty much anything I want, eat the nicest and healthiest food, provide everything my family wants. I have around 2 months of vacation in the summer.
Putting myself in his shoes feels pretty freaking good to me.

Also, honestly, if the criticism and wild rumors, were just too much for me to bare, then I would have no problem moving, going to play in the nice sun down in Florida, or other southern warm cities.
But I chose to stay here, despite knowing fully well how nuts it can get, so I'd be totally fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad