Stephane Waite on Carey Price “He had tears under his mask, he thought fans didn’t like him anymore”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I don't know about you guys but if I were Price and read that Waite had said this about me in an interview I would be pissed. If the guy was going through mental issues or marriage problems or whatever there is a good chance that Waite would know it and the last thing he should be doing is giving the media more fuel.

Price did sign the deal and he knows the pressures of Montreal so if he indeed was crying under his mask, why on earth would someone think it would be a good idea to share this? If things go badly next season the media will key on the fact that now they see Price as a head case who can no longer handle the responsibility of being the number one goalie and highest paid player for the CH. There was literally nothing to gain from Waite saying any of this. Just stay quiet, it was a bad year and keep working to get better for next year.
It's really bothering me, now Carey looks like a fragile lil b****, plus MB threw him under the bus about ten times in his presser... Jesus f****** Christ! Nobody has a brain in this org.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but if I were Price and read that Waite had said this about me in an interview I would be pissed. If the guy was going through mental issues or marriage problems or whatever there is a good chance that Waite would know it and the last thing he should be doing is giving the media more fuel.

Price did sign the deal and he knows the pressures of Montreal so if he indeed was crying under his mask, why on earth would someone think it would be a good idea to share this? If things go badly next season the media will key on the fact that now they see Price as a head case who can no longer handle the responsibility of being the number one goalie and highest paid player for the CH. There was literally nothing to gain from Waite saying any of this. Just stay quiet, it was a bad year and keep working to get better for next year.
It made no sense, for Waite to do this.............going public sometimes, is a way for them, to make people realize these guys are human, but as we can see on this thread alone, people don't want to hear it, performance is all people want.

Athletes are so envied, they are part of a small percentage of people, who can work at pro levels, and earn insane money, and it makes them lightning rods for criticism and pressure, none of us would ever know...but it is what it is, you sign up for big money, and you learn to deal with it. Up until this past year, Price was locked in and easily up to the challenge of what it takes..............something changed this season, maybe the media taking pokes at his marriage?

Who knows.........but the guy has even more pressure this year, and has to rebound.........I really think he is the least of our teams issues.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It made no sense, for Waite to do this.............going public sometimes, is a way for them, to make people realize these guys are human, but as we can see on this thread alone, people don't want to hear it, performance is all people want.

Athletes are so envied, they are part of a small percentage of people, who can work at pro levels, and earn insane money, and it makes them lightning rods for criticism and pressure, none of us would ever know...but it is what it is, you sign up for big money, and you learn to deal with it. Up until this past year, Price was locked in and easily up to the challenge of what it takes..............something changed this season, maybe the media taking pokes at his marriage?

Who knows.........but the guy has even more pressure this year, and has to rebound.........I really think he is the least of our teams issues.
He really is the least of our issues.
The French media consists of 45% clowns and 45% idiots.

MB deserves to be tortured after his last presser, "Carey needs to kick da rebounds towards da open forwards, that's how we gonna generate more offense".

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is one of the biggest overreaction threads on hf.

Do you think the thought ever crossed PK Subbans mind when he was traded that the fans in Montreal wouldnt like him anymore? Of course it did.

And when he returned he got a standing O as a sign of love and respect from these fans and tears were rolling down his cheeks. Does that make him a mentally weak lil bish? No.

Waite articulated the moment like an idiot, he should have said it was an emotional moment for Carey and that's it. It's his wording that made Carey look bad not Carey's emotions.

Every superstar during a bad or terrible year would have those same doubts about the fans. Hell they'd have those same doubts about what their teammates think about them and what they think about themselves.

But Waite is a goalie coach not a pr guy so he gets a pass on this. I'm sure he's telling Carey what we all want to tell him-put this year behind you, work hard this summer,come back better than ever.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know about you guys but if I were Price and read that Waite had said this about me in an interview I would be pissed.
Agreed.
I would tell him I appreciate what he was trying to do but it just looks bad.
Fans, no matter how harsh, had every right to be upset with Price this year. He did not play well at all.
This is one time where the fans were actually right, and Price can fight his own battles. He is not a 20yo rookie, or been around for a few years. He is a couple months away from being 31 and just completed his 11th season in the NHL. He can handle it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed.
Fans, no matter how harsh, had every right to be upset with Price this year. He did not play well at all.
This is one time where the fans were actually right, and Price can fight his own battles. He is not a 20yo rookie, or been around for a few years. He is a couple months away from being 31 and just completed his 11th season in the NHL. He can handle it.
Not to mention that I wonder if Waite just kind of interpreted Price's mood or emotions...I mean "I thought the fans didn't like me anymore"???

I don't know, doesn't sound like something a professional athlete, one who has played in Montreal for years and has gone through all kinds of scrutiny, would say...

If there's anyone on this team who knows how fickle fans are, it's Carey Price.

a few years ago he was telling fans to "chill out"...and now this?

Something doesn't smell right

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not to mention that I wonder if Waite just kind of interpreted Price's mood or emotions...I mean "I thought the fans didn't like me anymore"???

I don't know, doesn't sound like something a professional athlete, one who has played in Montreal for years and has gone through all kinds of scrutiny, would say...

Precisely. I said the same a few posts back.
Not sure how Price goes from telling the fans to chill in pre-season to this..

I don't think Price ever said this. Tears under his masks? Sure, getting a big ovation from 20 000+ people for an accomplishment, ya I can see that.
But "I thought fans didn't like me anymore" makes him look like a complete immature and insecure youngster, which he is not. Quite the opposite actually, we keep hearing how cool and collected Price is.

And as I said, if this is actually true, well Price looks very bad here.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Precisely. I said the same a few posts back.
Not sure how Price goes from telling the fans to chill in pre-season to this..

I don't think Price ever said this. Tears under his masks? Sure, getting a big ovation from 20 000+ people for an accomplishment, ya I can see that.
But "I thought fans didn't like me anymore" makes him look like a complete immature and insecure youngster, which he is not. Quite the opposite actually, we keep hearing how cool and collected Price is.

And as I said, if this is actually true, well Price looks very bad here.
First this story...then Niemi re-signs..

Maybe Waite is trying to get Price out of town so he can coach his star pupil again lol

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You have a very stone cold view of other humans
Players can be humans on their own time. When they're "on the clock" they are "commodities". They are "assets". They exist only to be used in order to achieve a desired outcome. When they fail to accomplish that task, they get replaced. As a fan I couldn't care less if a player is having a bad day. If I'm still expected to pay full price for a ticket to watch him, I expect him to perform at a level commensurate with what I'm paying and at what he's being paid. It's not about humanity. Humanity doesn't enter into it. It's about business.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Agreed.
When Waite said "he thought the fans didn't like him any more" I was like, why would he reveal that? Obviously if Price said this it would only be intended to be between he and Waite. Price had health issues last year and more than likely he was in a weaker position mentally, the guy is only human. Waite should have exercised professional discretion here and kept his mouth shut.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This is one of the biggest overreaction threads on hf.

Do you think the thought ever crossed PK Subbans mind when he was traded that the fans in Montreal wouldnt like him anymore? Of course it did.

And when he returned he got a standing O as a sign of love and respect from these fans and tears were rolling down his cheeks. Does that make him a mentally weak lil bish? No.

Waite articulated the moment like an idiot, he should have said it was an emotional moment for Carey and that's it. It's his wording that made Carey look bad not Carey's emotions.

Every superstar during a bad or terrible year would have those same doubts about the fans. Hell they'd have those same doubts about what their teammates think about them and what they think about themselves.

But Waite is a goalie coach not a pr guy so he gets a pass on this. I'm sure he's telling Carey what we all want to tell him-put this year behind you, work hard this summer,come back better than ever.

Great post, well put

Reactions: groovejuice

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He was praised for having “no pulse” by the media, coaches, and players ever since he came back from Sochi. All of a sudden he’s crying about the fans after a lousy season? What’s strange is the timing. He decides to tell the media at the end of May? Was Waite drinking?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
There have been plenty of other playoffs series with very few goals scored which resulted in wins for the teams scoring few goals. I have posted them before in similar arguments with other posters and I am not interested in rehashing this. But the point is that in a tight playoffs series... it'll be a goaltending battle. People blamed our offense against the rangers.. but I maintain that it was more of a 35 year old Lundqvist being way better than a 28-29 year old Price. Price lent credence to this when he talked about his fatigue syndrome last season and said that his fatigue syndrome went all the way back to the previous season. So ... yeah. He didn't feel right in the playoffs that year. And he didn't look right either, despite what his apologists will say on this forum.

Personally.. I have zero proof to back this up.. but this fatigue syndrome crap is more of a symptom of a player not working hard enough and hitting a wall in his late twenties.

In the same interview with Waite which sparked the creation of this thread he also said this regarding Price's preparation last summer :
« On a pris des choses pour acquises. Ça ne se répétera pas. On a des petits ajustements et on va les faire.»
« We took some things for granted. This won't happen again. We have some adjustments to make and we'll make them.»

It's what I've been saying for a long time. Price is one of the heaviest 6'3 goalies out there. It puts a strain on his knees, hips and tires him. Then he complains that he suffers from fatigue syndrome ? Please. Before we conclude it is a fatigue syndrome... can he get down to a normal playing weight for a 6'3 goalie ? Can we start with him working hard in the off season, taking care with his diet, etc. He has supreme talent, no one questions that. But I think his attitude blows. Who cares if 1% of the fan base hates him ? Like... toughen up...
Ridiculous. Habs can't score 2 goals a game but its somehow prices fault. He hasn't played well this past season(I don't really care why) but this team was bad because we have the worst d core(with weber injured) and the worst center lineup in the league. That isn't even debatable. No team has both that are so terrible combined.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He was praised for having “no pulse” by the media, coaches, and players ever since he came back from Sochi. All of a sudden he’s crying about the fans after a lousy season? What’s strange is the timing. He decides to tell the media at the end of May? Was Waite drinking?
It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Carey suffered some anxiety/depression to go from displaying no pulse to showing emotions and potentially impacting his performance. There's intense pressure as a pro athlete - especially in Montreal where he's had to be damn near perfect for the last half dozen years for the team to win - if he's been internalising that pressure for many years that's not healthy on the body or mind. Past personality, wealth, stardom, family etc... don't mean shit if that's what he's been experiencing but as a pro athlete he's not supposed to ever talk about this of course

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Carey suffered some anxiety/depression to go from displaying no pulse to showing emotions and potentially impacting his performance. There's intense pressure as a pro athlete - especially in Montreal where he's had to be damn near perfect for the last half dozen years for the team to win - if he's been internalising that pressure for many years that's not healthy on the body or mind. Past personality, wealth, stardom, family etc... don't mean **** if that's what he's been experiencing but as a pro athlete he's not supposed to ever talk about this of course

I get that, but seriously what is Waite thinking? He knows full well what would happen if he made a comment like that to the media, especially with Price’s performance last year. You could see the tears threw Price’s mask during the game on TV and he addressed it in an interview 2 months ago. Shouldn’t they be trying to deflect as much of the spotlight off the players as they can, not adding fuel to the fire?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I feel the same way, most fans are not realising just how bad these comments can backfire, if we stumble out of the gate again next season I can guarantee you that these comments will resurface.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ridiculous. Habs can't score 2 goals a game but its somehow prices fault. He hasn't played well this past season(I don't really care why) but this team was bad because we have the worst d core(with weber injured) and the worst center lineup in the league. That isn't even debatable. No team has both that are so terrible combined.
giphy.gif

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I feel the same way, most fans are not realising just how bad these comments can backfire, if we stumble out of the gate again next season I can guarantee you that these comments will resurface.

I hope that $70 million is worth it, because he may be to afraid to walk out his front door if he starts next season poorly.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I get that, but seriously what is Waite thinking? He knows full well what would happen if he made a comment like that to the media, especially with Price’s performance last year. You could see the tears threw Price’s mask during the game on TV and he addressed it in an interview 2 months ago. Shouldn’t they be trying to deflect as much of the spotlight off the players as they can, not adding fuel to the fire?
It's unfortunate mental illnesses and emotions are still seen as weaknesses and something that should be buried, maybe he was hoping a more humane reaction by fans if he provided some insight. The entire NHL rallies around a guy like Brian Boyle battling cancer (which is awesome) but these cyborgs aren't allowed to have any non physical illnesses/injuries because they are paid so much to entertain us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->