Speculation: Stauffer: Anaheim Ducks coaching changes may affect Oilers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think Boudreau is who we should go after, he's only successful during the regular season. I think Tippett or AV would be the best fit for us.

I want someone to instill confidence in our team and to turn us into an offensive juggernaut. Has Trotz gotten any more out of Washington than Boudreau did? Carlyle any more than Boudreau did in Anaheim? IMO hes a very good coach that just hasn't been on the right team to win it all yet. Everywhere he goes the team shows improvement.

Reactions: Aerrol

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Bill Peters Resigns Position as Head Coach, i bet he signs in Calgary , i still don't get the whole hype around him

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
sounds like rangers are kicking the tires on T . Nelson .i know he is not going to come back here but still wish him success and hope he gets the job .And to add to the topic Yawney would be a nice fit here.great guy and pretty good coach

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I want someone to instill confidence in our team and to turn us into an offensive juggernaut. Has Trotz gotten any more out of Washington than Boudreau did? Carlyle any more than Boudreau did in Anaheim? IMO hes a very good coach that just hasn't been on the right team to win it all yet. Everywhere he goes the team shows improvement.

I agree about Boudreau. I've always liked his systems and he always seems to do better with the rosters he's handed than the coaches before and after him. I guess Trotz had better regular season success with Washington, but his roster was also a lot better.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe that comment just means that McLellan possibly becomes their next coach... or "collateral effect on Edmonton" because they might go after the same guy Oilers want as their next coach.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bill Peters Resigns Position as Head Coach, i bet he signs in Calgary , i still don't get the whole hype around him

I guess we'll be seeing first hand what kind of a coach he is soon enough.

sounds like rangers are kicking the tires on T . Nelson .i know he is not going to come back here but still wish him success and hope he gets the job .And to add to the topic Yawney would be a nice fit here.great guy and pretty good coach

If he's not coming back here I wish him the best there. He's long overdue for a NHL gig.

I agree about Boudreau. I've always liked his systems and he always seems to do better with the rosters he's handed than the coaches before and after him. I guess Trotz had better regular season success with Washington, but his roster was also a lot better.

Agreed. He'd be my #1 choice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe that comment just means that McLellan possibly becomes their next coach... or "collateral effect on Edmonton" because they might go after the same guy Oilers want as their next coach.

If we add Yawney then we know that Todd is staying. You don't add an assistant coach and then fire the head coach.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we add Yawney then we know that Todd is staying. You don't add an assistant coach and then fire the head coach.
Or if ANA fires just the head coach then McLellan-Yawney duo could be a thing in ANA.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
stauffer has also been saying this week he doesn’t know what is happening. My guess is he sees an assistant who taught under mclellan before likely going to lose his job and is putting 2 and 2 together.

Reactions: OilDrop37

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Yawney would be a good addition to the staff. Not a great record as head coach of the Blackhawks but he does have that experience. If Todd stays then the team has an in-house solution for interim coach if there is another terrible start.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think Boudreau is who we should go after, he's only successful during the regular season. I think Tippett or AV would be the best fit for us.

I understand that, but Boudreau has a habit of improving teams at least 20 points in standings after taking over. Our best players are offensive players. Having the best player with the best offensive coach sure would be fun to watch. But yeah, it's strange that a guy who number 2 all time in winning percentage is unable to crack .500 in the playoffs. Could putting him with the best player in the league be the final piece to get him playoff success. At this point, I think it's gotten into his own head about Playoff underachievements and if he could get a couple series wins, maybe it would finally crack.

I used to think Tippett as well, but really what has he accomplished other than keeping poor teams competitive. His Dallas gig had a pretty solid roster to start and he usally got bounced in the first round. When he did finally get to conference finals, he did so with lesser rosters on the strength of amazing goaltending and team defense (his strength), but hasn't been back to the playoffs since. Do we want a defensive minded coach leading this group. Don't know.

Vigneault, does at least have a couple cup final appearances, but you could also argue that he had good enough teams in Vancouver that they should have a cup to show for it. However, other than the one year, they fell out of the playoffs too early. Don't know what to make of his time in New York though. Turned that team around pretty quickly and had a couple deep playoff runs, but got stuck in a strong cycle for that division and has been declining quite quickly since then. One common thread though with his best seasons..... near-Vezina caliber goaltending. Is he going to get that in Edmonton.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yawney sounds kind of interesting.

Duncan Keith gives him a lot of credit for his development and Anaheim's PK has been top notch with him.

Seems like a decent option to take Johnson's spot.

Reactions: MessierII

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No Carlyle would be nice. So sick of seeing him out-coach McLellan. Carlyle isn't even that good in general, but he still can be when he runs into a total pushover that lets him match lines exactly how he wants at home and on the road.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He's hasn't accomplished anything in Carolina, I hope he goes to Calgary. I was seriously worried about them snagging Vigneault.
This Peters saga is sure sounding a lot like the McLellan courtship. Coach has some sort of out in his contract with the team. Agrees to coach World Championships while pondering his decision. Said coach decides to resign from the current team on April 20th......., could it end the same with Team Canada winning gold before he signs on with Albertan NHL team?

Could we actually be getting fooled here and history is actually repeating for Edmonton, winning a draft lottery, then "evaluating" said coach's World Championship experience before turfing a Todd?

Please note, this isn't me wishing for it, it just seems to have a similar feel.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Carlyle is not the answer here--he is really too old school.
The core of the Ducks should be in their prime (to save you looking Perry, Gets are 32, Rackell 24, Silferberg 26, Henrique 27, and the list goes on) The game has changed in the last few years and it has passed Carlyle)--Until a heavy team wins the cup again teams need to built for speed

Last edited:

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I just think there's a reason behind a coach with a great regular season record everywhere he's been that gets fired all the time. I get that any coach is an almost sure upgrade with our current staff, I'm not too sure Boudreau would bring anything other than early playoff exits.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Friedman was on with Stauffer today and he was wondering if Gulutzan might end up as an assistant with the Oilers. Not sure if it was just random musings or if there's actually a link but it's interesting...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Friedman was on with Stauffer today and he was wondering if Gulutzan might end up as an assistant with the Oilers. Not sure if it was just random musings or if there's actually a link but it's interesting...

I wouldn't doubt for a second he would be an upgrade over the current boobs working under McLellan. Not just technical smarts, but might actually be a good personality mix too. GG is more of a players coach, McLellan is grumpy dad that blames the players for everything. Renney played a similar role between Babcock and younger players with the red wings.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
We need a coach who can understand that the game is rapidly changing and can adjust his coaching style accordingly. We also need someone who works well with younger players.
I think a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues would make more sense for this team, but that's just me.
Todd Mof*** Nelson. I hope that ship has not sailed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I heard that as well. I like GG as a coach. Never understood the comparisons with Eakins. Likely just frustrated fans projecting and hoping the Flames suffer like the Oilers did because the comparison really didnt make any sense at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing GG and Yawney here next season. Good coaches and they would also be able to provide some recent insights into 2 main divisional opponents for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00