Speculation: Stauffer: Anaheim Ducks coaching changes may affect Oilers

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You can listen to it in the last minute of segment #1 of today's podcast:

"And now, taking about sweeping, I wonder if there's going to be sweeping changes, in Anaheim, with personnel, potentially with coaching. If there is there could be a collateral effect on Edmonton. On a couple different fronts."

In the follwong segment he interviews Louie Debrusk and they speak about the LA-Vegas series, and the ANA-SJ series. Bob asks Debrusk if he expects any big changes in Anaheim. As Debrusk is answering the question, Bob says "What about Carlyle?" He asks this in the middle of Debrusk answering the original question so he never ends up address that one.

Copied and pasted are is current coaching staff of Anaheim:
Randy CarlyleHead Coach
Trent YawneyAssistant Coach
Steve KonowalchukAssistant Coach
Mark MorrisonAssistant Coach
Rich PrestonAssistant Coach
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

On Yawney:

A native of Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan, Yawney previously served two stints with the Ducks as a professional scout in 2007-08 and 2011-12. He also spent three seasons as an assistant coach with the San Jose Sharks from 2008-11. During his tenure in San Jose, the Sharks captured the Presidents' Trophy in 2009 and made two Western Conference Final appearances in 2010 and 2011.

Rich Preston is also from Saskatchewan.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I want Boudreau not Carlyle although Carlyle would allow our physical guys to play their game.

Reactions: Aerrol

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I want Boudreau not Carlyle although Carlyle would allow our physical guys to play their game.
I don't think Boudreau is who we should go after, he's only successful during the regular season. I think Tippett or AV would be the best fit for us.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
What if the three Oilers heading to the WC are going to feel out Peters ? Seems like he isn't heading back to Carolina . It is also clear that Nurse , Nuge , and Mcdavid are core pieces

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
You can listen to it in the last minute of segment #1 of today's podcast:

"And now, taking about sweeping, I wonder if there's going to be sweeping changes, in Anaheim, with personnel, potentially with coaching. If there is there could be a collateral effect on Edmonton. On a couple different fronts."

In the follwong segment he interviews Louie Debrusk and they speak about the LA-Vegas series, and the ANA-SJ series. Bob asks Debrusk if he expects any big changes in Anaheim. As Debrusk is answering the question, Bob says "What about Carlyle?" He asks this in the middle of Debrusk answering the original question so he never ends up address that one.

Copied and pasted are is current coaching staff of Anaheim:
Randy CarlyleHead Coach
Trent YawneyAssistant Coach
Steve KonowalchukAssistant Coach
Mark MorrisonAssistant Coach
Rich PrestonAssistant Coach
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
On Yawney:

Rich Preston is also from Saskatchewan.

Let's hope the Oilers don't go after this Mark Morrison guy for an assistant coaching position. That would just mean that McLellan would return as head coach, right?

Retttuuuuurn of the maaack oh no!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We need a coach who can understand that the game is rapidly changing and can adjust his coaching style accordingly. We also need someone who works well with younger players.
I think a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues would make more sense for this team, but that's just me.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
We need a coach who can understand that the game is rapidly changing and can adjust his coaching style accordingly. We also need someone who works well with younger players.
I think a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues would make more sense for this team, but that's just me.

Careful what you wish for. The Oilers went with the hottest coach outta the AHL a while back and got the hippest new thing in the swarm defence. Haven't seen that defence, or that coach, in the NHL since.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think the team needs a coach that is more aggessive, more about attacking, ability to adapt etc. They should be trying to find someone like Gallant, Cassidy, Cooper, Sullivan etc. rather than some old dinosaur.

Then if they find a coach like this, the GM needs to give the coach some wingers who can play this style. McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH should thrive under a coach like that. Especially McDavid and Drai.

They should be interviewing and actually doing research on the coach they pick. Dont just pick a coach based on his reputation.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Isn't there something out there about Peters being very close to signing with Calgary?

I read earlier in the week he has an opt-out clause in his contract and has to let the Hurricanes know sometime today. That said, I haven't heard if he's opted out of his final year yet making him a coaching free agent. Treliving wants him pretty bad but ownership wants to give Treliving the "D"...as in Daryl Sutter.

In reading the OP, if Yawney worked for San Jose as an assistant from 08-11, then he and Mclellan know each other.

As others have suggested, there's the principal target in my opinion.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Careful what you wish for. The Oilers went with the hottest coach outta the AHL a while back and got the hippest new thing in the swarm defence. Haven't seen that defence, or that coach, in the NHL since.

Just because it failed miserably once doesn't mean the idea isn't sound. I'd much rather have the next Mike Sullivan than a re-tread like Carlyle or Sutter. The problem is I have very low confidence that our organization can distinguish between the next Sullivan and the next Eakins.

Reactions: FlameChampion

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think the object is Carlyle. If he gets fired, probably his entire staff gets fired so the new coach can create his own team.

The obvious one is Yawney.

That's precisely it. No way Carlyle comes here. Wrong coach for this type of team. But it it interesting that McLellan's most successful years in SJ were with Yawney as an assistant.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Just because it failed miserably once doesn't mean the idea isn't sound. I'd much rather have the next Mike Sullivan than a re-tread like Carlyle or Sutter. The problem is I have very low confidence that our organization can distinguish between the next Sullivan and the next Eakins.

Sullivan isn't the type of coach you described in your earlier post, i.e. "a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues". he came into the Pens job with two years head coaching experience in the NHL previously as well as years as an assistant in the league.

If that's what you meant by your post I apologize. I just don't see someone with no NHL experience being a fit.

There has to be an option between no NHL experience and Carlyle/Sutter?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Sullivan isn't the type of coach you described in your earlier post, i.e. "a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues". he came into the Pens job with two years head coaching experience in the NHL previously as well as years as an assistant in the league.

If that's what you meant by your post I apologize. I just don't see someone with no NHL experience being a fit.

There has to be an option between no NHL experience and Carlyle/Sutter?

OK, I didn't realize that's what you were getting at. I (and I think others who espoused younger coaching blood) are focusing more on not returning to established guys than necessarily only picking up green pickups from Juniors/Minors. I think that's a fair point that picking a guy with some NHL experience is probably a good idea.

Just no Sutter, Carlyle etc please.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
OK, I didn't realize that's what you were getting at. I (and I think others who espoused younger coaching blood) are focusing more on not returning to established guys than necessarily only picking up green pickups from Juniors/Minors. I think that's a fair point that picking a guy with some NHL experience is probably a good idea.

Just no Sutter, Carlyle etc please.

A Todd Nelson type guy? Mostly minor league experience but performed admirably as an interim.

Maybe the plan from management will be to give Koala another shot but then can him if something goes wrong mid-season. That wouldn't be the worst approach.

It feels like the NHL is a league that changing coaches mid-season can put you over the top. The Penguins have done it twice in the last nine years and gone on to win Cups with their mid-season coach at the helm. Can't think of that happening once in the last 15 years in the NFL/NBA/MLB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad