Speculation: Stauffer: Anaheim Ducks coaching changes may affect Oilers

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I don't care what they do, who they hire, sign, trade for, or draft; but just once, ONCE!! i want to see them make a decision and hit grand slam home run.

be the team that hired Mike Sullivan
be the team that drafted Johnny Gaudrea or Shea Weber
be the team that traded a pretty good player and gets a Hart Trophy candidate back (i guess that did happen once with Pronger)
be the team that traded for draft picks and draft Barzal

I can't take these disappointments much longer. Please! Please! hockey Gods. can just one effin thing work out!?!!??!!?
We have McDavid

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I vote Todd Nelson, I ran into him in Edmonton when he was interim coach here and we had some dranks haahaha. Seemed chill.
this is my vote as well, if the team wants to ditch McLellan. That partial season that Nelson coached was an admirable team. They lost games, but far less than Eakins did, and Nelson had to deal with more injuries and of course Petry getting traded. I'd even say that last year's winning team never quite had the swagger of that Nelson team.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
this is my vote as well, if the team wants to ditch McLellan. That partial season that Nelson coached was an admirable team. They lost games, but far less than Eakins did, and Nelson had to deal with more injuries and of course Petry getting traded. I'd even say that last year's winning team never quite had the swagger of that Nelson team.
I feel like they didn't have that sort of identity until the playoffs started

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I understand that, but Boudreau has a habit of improving teams at least 20 points in standings after taking over. Our best players are offensive players. Having the best player with the best offensive coach sure would be fun to watch. But yeah, it's strange that a guy who number 2 all time in winning percentage is unable to crack .500 in the playoffs. Could putting him with the best player in the league be the final piece to get him playoff success. At this point, I think it's gotten into his own head about Playoff underachievements and if he could get a couple series wins, maybe it would finally crack.

I used to think Tippett as well, but really what has he accomplished other than keeping poor teams competitive. His Dallas gig had a pretty solid roster to start and he usally got bounced in the first round. When he did finally get to conference finals, he did so with lesser rosters on the strength of amazing goaltending and team defense (his strength), but hasn't been back to the playoffs since. Do we want a defensive minded coach leading this group. Don't know.

Vigneault, does at least have a couple cup final appearances, but you could also argue that he had good enough teams in Vancouver that they should have a cup to show for it. However, other than the one year, they fell out of the playoffs too early. Don't know what to make of his time in New York though. Turned that team around pretty quickly and had a couple deep playoff runs, but got stuck in a strong cycle for that division and has been declining quite quickly since then. One common thread though with his best seasons..... near-Vezina caliber goaltending. Is he going to get that in Edmonton.
Boudreau just has very simple and concise messaging to his team, knows the 2 or 3 buttons to press and keeps things as simple as possible to get results, also focuses heavily on his own teams gameplan rather than countering the opposition. In the regular season he tends to do quite well cause he doesn't burn his players out and they get results from following his instructions so it builds a good feedback loop. His teams fail in the playoffs cause the other teams opposition gameplans for him and he doesn't gameplan for the opposition nearly as well and his teams are generally just consistently good during the regular season they don't tend to battle a lot of hardship/adversity in the season and when playoffs come they rarely seem to have much resiliency, things go bad and they can't get it back on the tracks or draw out that emotion for his group to push through it.

I have no problem with Boudreau as a head coach, but seems like a poor choice as an assistant to McLellan, I think Boudreau has strengths he brings to the table, but needs the rest of the coaching staff built around patching his weaknesses. I'd like Tippett as an assistant he seems good at getting better defensive play out of players and is good at getting fairly solid performances out of role players and can help with special teams, I could see him being a good compliment to McLellan. Vigneault I don't think of as a bad coach, but I just don't believe he is the right coach if your objective is winning a Stanley Cup, I have more confidence in Bourdreau correcting his shortcomings than I do Vigneault correcting his.

Reactions: Aerrol

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
From Stauffers tweets today after Anaheim announced they're moving on from Yawney:

"Trent Yawney has an excellent track record of developing young defenceman.
My guess is that he will be a coach that multiple organizations look at.

Yawney is a former teammate of Oilers Head Coach Todd McLellan in Saskatoon, spent 3 years as AC with McLellan in SJ.
Yawney has been an NHL and AHL HC and oversaw a Ducks PK unit that has been top 5 last 3 seasons.
He checks off a lot off boxes here!"

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Yawney would be a great Johnson replacement but we’d still need a good powerplay guy if we are going to stick with McLellan. Are there any good candidates out there?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yawney would be a great Johnson replacement but we’d still need a good powerplay guy if we are going to stick with McLellan. Are there any good candidates out there?

Gulutzan :sarcasm:

I have heard his name thrown around. Wouldn't be my choice though.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not sure if I could stomach GG...
And wasn't their PP almost as bad as ours?
Gulutzan ran the PP in Vancouver for one season and it wasn't very good. He had way more success with their PK for two seasons. I think if he was coming to Edmonton it would be to do that latter. But that would be Yawney's job, so I don't think GG will be hired.

Sounds like there's a chance Gulutzan might go back to the Canucks. This article says he's already been contacted by two rebuilding teams:

Ben Kuzma: Gulutzan a good fit to return to Canucks’ coaching ranks

And he sounds pretty cheesed about getting fired in Calgary:

“The expectation when I came in was to play meaningful games in March and we overachieved in going from 77 to 94 points,” he said Monday of the Flames’ 2016-17 record. “Then we’re supposed to win the Stanley Cup — it doesn’t work that way.

“We were going to get there (the playoffs) if we didn’t get injured, and Calgary has some good young guys.”

Last edited:
Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Is this Leavins fellow a fairly reliable source? I had never heard of him until your post.

He's just one of the edmonton journal writers for the Oilers that tends to be an ass kissing praiser in regards to the management.

(Although, I also personally think GG and Yawney could be a part of the Oilers coaching staff) Especially with Stauffer yammering about Yawney.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't care what they do, who they hire, sign, trade for, or draft; but just once, ONCE!! i want to see them make a decision and hit grand slam home run.

be the team that hired Mike Sullivan
be the team that drafted Johnny Gaudrea or Shea Weber
be the team that traded a pretty good player and gets a Hart Trophy candidate back (i guess that did happen once with Pronger)
be the team that traded for draft picks and draft Barzal

I can't take these disappointments much longer. Please! Please! hockey Gods. can just one effin thing work out!?!!??!!?
Does drafting Draisaitl over Bennett count?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
GG actually did pretty decently with a not so great team in Calgary. They are overrated defensively and certainly don't have a lot to work with outside of a good top line offensively.

Not saying GG is a great coach... but I think he has a right to be pissed at being fired seeing as the team did about as well as you could have expected them to over the past 2 years considering the roster they have.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He's just one of the edmonton journal writers for the Oilers that tends to be an ass kissing praiser in regards to the management.

(Although, I also personally think GG and Yawney could be a part of the Oilers coaching staff) Especially with Stauffer yammering about Yawney.

He writes for Staples' Cult of Hockey blog and hears some things. I think he's just guessing who the assistants will be in that tweet though.

Cool beans, thanks guys! So sounds like he's working his way up the credibility ladder.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
GG actually did pretty decently with a not so great team in Calgary. They are overrated defensively and certainly don't have a lot to work with outside of a good top line offensively.

Not saying GG is a great coach... but I think he has a right to be pissed at being fired seeing as the team did about as well as you could have expected them to over the past 2 years considering the roster they have.

They made the playoffs the previous season and traded for Hamonic so, rightfully so, it was playoffs or bust for them.
That's what you call accountability, unlike the organization up north that finished bottom 10 two out of three McDavid seasons and is still evaluating.

Anyway, still wondering why there's no rumors of them being after a PP coach. If I was Chia, I would tell Mclellan that either Woodcroft goes or you go.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I have more interest in Yawney filling the assistant coach role that Jim Johnson held of being responsible for the D and the PK rather than Gulutzan or MacLean who'll likely be up for associate coaching positions based on being head coaches previously and thereby also likely internal head coach replacements, when I don't really want either for that role.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
They made the playoffs the previous season and traded for Hamonic so, rightfully so, it was playoffs or bust for them.
That's what you call accountability, unlike the organization up north that finished bottom 10 two out of three McDavid seasons and is still evaluating.

Anyway, still wondering why there's no rumors of them being after a PP coach. If I was Chia, I would tell Mclellan that either Woodcroft goes or you go.

Trading an unprotected 1st and two 2nds for Harmonic, and then replacing your coach with a guy who's never made the playoffs without interviewing others... Is far from accountability. Not saying it's any better in Edmonton, but Calgary is far from a well managed team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->