Speculation: Stauffer: Anaheim Ducks coaching changes may affect Oilers

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Oilers are in the situation where they need to get this right. There is no room for unknowns...they need people who make the team noticably better. Coaches who understand Tmac that still have the ability to thrive despite Tmacs deficiencies. I am not convinced GG is such a piece.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I guess my thing with Gulutzan is that I don't really know what it is that he specializes in and I don't see anything overly remarkable in his career. No run through the Junior ranks, a pretty good run through the ECHL but never won the championship, a very good first year in AHL, but an underwhelming second year before being promoted to Dallas. Two non-playoff seasons in Dallas, then moves to Vancouver as an assistant to Torts in what could only be described as a disaster season and now his two year run in Calgary which is also underwhelming. None of those teams had an overly special run on special teams either.

What does he bring to the table that helps.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Careful what you wish for. The Oilers went with the hottest coach outta the AHL a while back and got the hippest new thing in the swarm defence. Haven't seen that defence, or that coach, in the NHL since.
zXCLhr1.gif

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Guys you do know that it's only going to be Johnson out and Coffey in right?

That's ok then. Seems like the OBC won this battle but Chia and Koala at least get the off-season but with a really tight leash. It's good that the OBC didn't win outright.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We need a coach who can understand that the game is rapidly changing and can adjust his coaching style accordingly. We also need someone who works well with younger players.
I think a top coach in the junior/ncaa leagues would make more sense for this team, but that's just me.

So Todd Nelson?

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
If they hire 2 former head coaches to be assistant coaches (from any organization) wouldn’t it be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If they hire 2 former head coaches to be assistant coaches (from any organization) wouldn’t it be a case of too many cooks in the kitchen?
I guess it depends on who these guys are and what their aspirations are. Some guys may have come to the realization that head coaching isn’t for them anymore and may be satisfied with only being an assistant. Somebody like this could be very beneficial. Some guys could see the situation here as an opportunity for a quick promotion if things went “their” way. This type of guy could be disruptive. I’m sure the team will do several thorough interviews to make sure they get the right guy.;)

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Not my ideal idea but I wouldn’t mind B.B. if the Wild bounce him. Don’t really blame him for the loss, they had key pieces out.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Guys you do know that it's only going to be Johnson out and Coffey in right?

I don't think that'll happen...as in I'm not sure Johnson will be let go.

Only the Oilers would consider forcing an AC on a HC that clearly doesn't want him. What a dysfunctional bunch of dip*****.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Wait what is this rumor that we might hire Calgary's old coach as an assistant? The **** is this org smoking

It's not a rumour...Friedman wondered out loud if there "might" be a fit for GG in Edmonton...total speculation.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm getting to the point where I think whatever decision them make on their coaching, it will be the wrong one.

these guys just can't seem to get anything right, everything they try backfires or, at the very least, everything they try, the other decision turns out to have been the better way to go.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's not a rumour...Friedman wondered out loud if there "might" be a fit for GG in Edmonton...total speculation.
Bleh. I know it's just speculation but all these names being thrown out as assistants isn't addressing the major problem (head coach).

Gulutzan was in charge of the Canucks power play in 2013-14 and then switched to running the penalty kill the next two years.

PP in 2013-14: 15.2% (26th overall)
PK in 2014-15: 85.7% (2nd overall)
PK in 2015-16: 81.1% (T-17th overall)

Reactions: Aerrol

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Bleh. I know it's just speculation but all these names being thrown out as assistants isn't addressing the major problem (head coach).

Gulutzan was in charge of the Canucks power play in 2013-14 and then switched to running the penalty kill the next two years.

PP in 2013-14: 15.2% (26th overall)
PK in 2014-15: 85.7% (2nd overall)
PK in 2015-16: 81.1% (T-17th overall)

I'm with ya, they can't get rid of McLellan fast enough for me. Mix in the OBC trying to hand pick more OBC's as assistants for him is a disaster in the making. I've basically accepted the fact that they'll all be back.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't care what they do, who they hire, sign, trade for, or draft; but just once, ONCE!! i want to see them make a decision and hit grand slam home run.

be the team that hired Mike Sullivan
be the team that drafted Johnny Gaudrea or Shea Weber
be the team that traded a pretty good player and gets a Hart Trophy candidate back (i guess that did happen once with Pronger)
be the team that traded for draft picks and draft Barzal

I can't take these disappointments much longer. Please! Please! hockey Gods. can just one effin thing work out!?!!??!!?

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
I vote Todd Nelson, I ran into him in Edmonton when he was interim coach here and we had some dranks haahaha. Seemed chill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad