Star Wars: Jedi Survivor delayed to April 28th

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If I worked at a studio and it was up to me, I'd just never announce a date. Do the teasers and showcases and whatnot to build hype, but just never actually say when it's coming out. Then drop it and be like "It's out next week, f***ers!"

If it worked for Bowie, Beyonce, Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, etc. why wouldn't it work for video game studios? Stand out from the crowd that constantly delays, delays, delays.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Disappointed as this is one of the big titles I'm looking forward to this year, but would rather the game come out as close to complete as possible than be a buggy mess at launch.
If I worked at a studio and it was up to me, I'd just never announce a date. Do the teasers and showcases and whatnot to build hype, but just never actually say when it's coming out. Then drop it and be like "It's out next week, f***ers!"

If it worked for Bowie, Beyonce, Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, etc. why wouldn't it work for video game studios? Stand out from the crowd that constantly delays, delays, delays.
Shareholders and revenue targets/financial disclosure. Pretty much every major AAA game is published by a publicly traded company. MS could probably do it often as their games division is by far the least important to the company's overall economic outlook than most companies in the gaming industry, and gamepass as a subscription service stops it from killing sales on a game not marketed well. AAA games are closer to blockbuster movie releases than albums, and you would never see a big-budget movie shadow-dropped. This is especially true for new IP with huge marketing budgets. Like if investors believe Tears of the Kingdom is coming out this year, and it doesn't it could damage the outlook on Nintendo, same applies to Sony if they don't meet their target of fall 2023 for Spider-Man. As those games don't only move units, they move consoles bringing in more active users.

Also, the most infamous shadow-drop in video game history, is one of the biggest disasters of all time in the gaming industry. They shadow-launched Sega Saturn in North America (it was already out in Japan) and retailers had no idea what was going on. Now, with a ton of video game purchases being digital it won't impact them to the same extent, but I do think the industry's retail partners would like more of a heads up than a week (Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, etc), and if you need to communicate that info to that many parties things will leak anyway.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Disappointed as this is one of the big titles I'm looking forward to this year, but would rather the game come out as close to complete as possible than be a buggy mess at launch.

Shareholders and revenue targets/financial disclosure. Pretty much every major AAA game is published by a publicly traded company. MS could probably do it often as their games division is by far the least important to the company's overall economic outlook than most companies in the gaming industry, and gamepass as a subscription service stops it from killing sales on a game not marketed well. AAA games are closer to blockbuster movie releases than albums, and you would never see a big-budget movie shadow-dropped. This is especially true for new IP with huge marketing budgets. Like if investors believe Tears of the Kingdom is coming out this year, and it doesn't it could damage the outlook on Nintendo, same applies to Sony if they don't meet their target of fall 2023 for Spider-Man. As those games don't only move units, they move consoles bringing in more active users.

Also, the most infamous shadow-drop in video game history, is one of the biggest disasters of all time in the gaming industry. They shadow-launched Sega Saturn in North America (it was already out in Japan) and retailers had no idea what was going on. Now, with a ton of video game purchases being digital it won't impact them to the same extent, but I do think the industry's retail partners would like more of a heads up than a week (Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, etc), and if you need to communicate that info to that many parties things will leak anyway.
God of War Ragnarok set the bar extremely high for having so few (if any) major bugs at launch. Other studios are taking note and following along.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Looking forward to this one.

The first one was a really solid "souls-like" game, it was probably a good introduction to that subgenre for a lot people actually because of it's accessibility and Star Wars audience.

It'd be cool to see them ramp up the exploration/secrets/difficulty in this one, really lean into those aspects of the genre.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
God of War Ragnarok set the bar extremely high for having so few (if any) major bugs at launch. Other studios are taking note and following along.
Sony's games have generally been pretty polished (same with Nintendo first party), at least for console launches (some of the PC games have had issues with shaders at launch). If anything, no studio/publisher wants to be the CDPR with a CyberPunk level launch more than they are aspiring to be SIE Santa Monica. I don't think many studios have the same expertise as Santa Monica or the same budget behind it. This is a game with likely a big budget and Respawn has a ton of talent but EA overall doesn't exactly have a reputation of overly polishing games.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Sony's games have generally been pretty polished (same with Nintendo first party), at least for console launches (some of the PC games have had issues with shaders at launch). If anything, no studio/publisher wants to be the CDPR with a CyberPunk level launch more than they are aspiring to be SIE Santa Monica. I don't think many studios have the same expertise as Santa Monica or the same budget behind it. This is a game with likely a big budget and Respawn has a ton of talent but EA overall doesn't exactly have a reputation of overly polishing games.
EA started to turn that around with their last few releases (FIFA 23 and Dead Space). I'm curious if they can sustain that. The game's devs are committed to making sure that everything is polished.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
EA started to turn that around with their last few releases (FIFA 23 and Dead Space). I'm curious if they can sustain that. The game's devs are committed to making sure that everything is polished.
I want this game to be as good as possible, and I'm sure individual developers at the Respawn want that. It's rarely internal developers rushing something out the door. It's management. Thankfully, Respawn for the original game was able to convince EA to say screw the costs and let us use Unreal, instead of Frostbite. And, EA seems to have slightly deviated from their view of single player games after the success of Fallen Order. I haven't played Deadspace and while nothing gamebreaking, I believe it launched with some graphical issues that digital foundry touched on.

I loved Fallen Order, so I'm very excited for this, I am curious if we will see some interesting behavior/bugs at launch, as it is one of the first AAA Unreal 5 games to launch (that isn't Fortnite getting patched). That and Redfall should be interesting as they are both Unreal 5 and launch about a week apart now.

Sep 19, 2008
I was pretty excited about this game, so this was disappointing but understandable. Looking forward to it coming out

people need to know release dates to know when they'll start playing

even the concerts you listed have dates. They can change and be flexible, but most of the time they usually have a set date. Like, for Bruce Springsteen last year when the tickets were announced, they opened up tickets for some date in March next month.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

It's not an exact analogy, sure, but I don't think what I'm suggesting is as much of a "shadow-drop" as some of those albums were either. As I said, still do the showcases and trailers and whatnot, but just don't announce a release date until you are 100% sure it is ready to release.

people need to know release dates to know when they'll start playing

even the concerts you listed have dates. They can change and be flexible, but most of the time they usually have a set date. Like, for Bruce Springsteen last year when the tickets were announced, they opened up tickets for some date in March next month.
Uh what? I'm talking about albums, not concerts. A concert is a 1 night thing that people do need to plan for. An album, much like a video game, will still be there in the days, weeks, months, and even years ahead.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Naughty Dog just announced that they’re doing the same thing EA is doing with this game for The Last of Us Part 1 on PC.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Playing Fallen Order for the first time as it was on PlayStation Plus in January and I’m really enjoying it. The gameplay is quite fun and the story feels very “Star Wars” but I’ve been most impressed with the soundtrack that makes it feel like old school Star Wars. I hope they take the time they need and release this game as polished as it can be

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'm not sure they are allowed to do that, I mean I don't see why they wouldn't be but it never happens so maybe It's not

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm not sure they are allowed to do that, I mean I don't see why they wouldn't be but it never happens so maybe It's not

Apex Legends did that successfully, but it was a free to play game so they didn't have to co-ordinate with retailers to launch it. Most AAA games still have physical releases, so keeping the game a secret until launch day would be difficult.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
While I like that they're serious about this franchise, I'm really disappointed they've decided to cancel Titanfall 3.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This seems to be a serious recurring problem right now. I want to play this day one, and if the issues are crippling I may just play it on PS5. Although, I would hope a 3080ti/13600k would be able to play it solidly at 1440p. And, I feel this is the first real big AAA Unreal 5 game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This seems to be a serious recurring problem right now. I want to play this day one, and if the issues are crippling I may just play it on PS5. Although, I would hope a 3080ti/13600k would be able to play it solidly at 1440p. And, I feel this is the first real big AAA Unreal 5 game.
The article mentions that a 4090 with 24GB VRAM and a 5900X couldn't maintain 50fps at 1440p and that 18GB of VRAM was allocated, so I wouldn't expect a 3080 Ti with 12GB of VRAM and a 13600K to play it solidly at the same resolution and settings. Of course, that's probably at native resolution and Ultra settings, so you could lower settings to make it play better, but you might have to lower them more than you're used to.

FWIW, I'm reading comments that it doesn't run very well on consoles, either.

It uses UE4, not UE5. In just the last few months, we've seen a bunch of UE4 games with very different levels of performance. This, Hogwarts Legacy, The Callisto Protocol and Gotham Knights all seemed to have major issues on release while Atomic Heart and Dead Island 2 both seem to run very well. It appears like the problem is that some studios don't know how to optimize for Unreal Engine or don't bother to (at least when it comes to PC) until after they've released the games.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The article mentions that a 4090 with 24GB VRAM and a 5900X can't maintain 50fps at 1440p and that 18GB of VRAM was used, so I wouldn't expect a 3080 Ti with 12GB of VRAM and a 13600K to play it solidly at the same resolution and settings. Of course, that's probably at native and Ultra settings, so you could lower the settings and use DLSS to make it play better, but you might have to lower them more than you're used to. Also, it uses UE4, not UE5, which makes you wonder what the excuse is, since Atomic Heart and Dead Island 2 are both recent, late UE4 games that run rather well.

FWIW, I'm reading that this game doesn't run well on consoles, either.
weird this sounds like Cyber Punk, seemed to be getting great reviews and then this stuff starts coming out. I never pre-order any game really (unless its like a port of something such as Hades to PS5 prior to me having a PC or a Switch). I hope this stuff is fear mongering but I'll obviously gonna wait for the digital foundry breakdown of this. I have a big backlog of Steam Sales, Gamepass options and just started Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores DLC, so I'm in no rush, but I hate the trend of games being released to meet a target date just because they can use live updates as a patch. While, I love games can fix bugs compared to the cartridge or pretty much anything up to the PS3 era, if a game was broken, it was broken. It was nice to be able to fix things that may have been missed, but it's increasingly becoming buying a game in beta at full price.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
weird this sounds like Cyber Punk, seemed to be getting great reviews and then this stuff starts coming out. I never pre-order any game really (unless its like a port of something such as Hades to PS5 prior to me having a PC or a Switch). I hope this stuff is fear mongering but I'll obviously gonna wait for the digital foundry breakdown of this. I have a big backlog of Steam Sales, Gamepass options and just started Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores DLC, so I'm in no rush, but I hate the trend of games being released to meet a target date just because they can use live updates as a patch. While, I love games can fix bugs compared to the cartridge or pretty much anything up to the PS3 era, if a game was broken, it was broken. It was nice to be able to fix things that may have been missed, but it's increasingly becoming buying a game in beta at full price.

Consumers are the ones to blame because we keep buying the games even though we are warned. I was going to buy this day one, I won’t be now until the game is running properly.

Reactions: sigma six

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad