Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sure, but there was a ton of backlash against The Order: 1886 when it first came out for having a super short campaign. Granted, there was no multiplayer for The Order, but if people are planning to pick up BF2 for the campaign, they should know what they’re getting themselves into. BF2 is only worth its price tag if players are planning to play both SP and MP.

True, the multiplayer side adds value to the purchase.

That said, I would've been fine with The Order's length if it was actually a good campaign and didn't end abruptly just after it started to pick up while resolving exactly none of the plot. :laugh:

While a short campaign can leave you wanting more, I personally think a great short campaign is ten times better than a long boring one.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm not making anything up. EA hasn't even attempted to deny it anywhere just stating how they will 'monitor' it and 'wants players to have a sense of accomplishment and pride' when they are able to unlock a hero. With this being all over the internet and under heavy criticism, you think EA would at least attempt to deny it if it were not true. But yea, everyone is just making things up to make EA look bad.
I saw the EA post on Reddit. It's hilarious how much people hate it and downvote it. I don't see why they should list out how long it takes to unlock everything in the game. Just doesn't make sense. Their reasoning for it is garbage, I completely agree. I won't dispute that at all. I won't dispute that crates and mico-transactions suck too. It's a dumb PR statement. That's all it should be taken as and it deserves all the criticism it's getting. I hope it changes the game. I am simply saying you are not FORCED (no pun intended) to buy crates to get upgrades and unlocks in the game and that EA is not alone with this strategy. Which was my original point with you. It's not just EA.

But as long as people keep paying for this stuff they will keep making it.

Titanfall 2 was 6-8 and was an awesome campaign.
It was the perfect length and I agree with your other point about a short good campaign is better than an long boring one.

Sure, but there was a ton of backlash against The Order: 1886 when it first came out for having a super short campaign. Granted, there was no multiplayer for The Order, but if people are planning to pick up BF2 for the campaign, they should know what they’re getting themselves into. BF2 is only worth its price tag if players are planning to play both SP and MP.
I agree with this but I know a few people who WILL be buying it for the single player. They aren't gamers but they are Star Wars fans and would get destroyed online anyways. To them, this story and game may be worth it for $60. But for the gamer... I agree.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
C86fVTVQxog8w5R-i9jN7GJ8oU4NaIe7WTk9UbD-HwE.jpg

Added to the store. Impeccable timing EA.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Wow.

Milk it til it's dead, I guess?

Something tells me the days of me enjoying online multiplayer shooters are coming to a close. :laugh:

Time will tell. Most of the people I play with have abandoned ship already.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Jesus. I truly hope this game bombs hard just because of shit like this. Talk about ruining the Star Wars franchise for gaming and hell, they basically did the same, in my opinion, for Battlefield as well. EA going to EA as best as they know how.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
True, the multiplayer side adds value to the purchase.

That said, I would've been fine with The Order's length if it was actually a good campaign and didn't end abruptly just after it started to pick up while resolving exactly none of the plot. :laugh:

While a short campaign can leave you wanting more, I personally think a great short campaign is ten times better than a long boring one.
Wholeheartedly agree with the bolded. I just question if EA and DICE are able to do this with BF2. Personally, I have my doubts. If they can - great, I’ll pick this game up when it’s in the bargain bin since I have no intention in taking part of their pay-to-win MP model. If not, then they need to re-think their priorities when it comes to such a beloved franchise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So? There’s one for the first game too that I bought when I bought that game about four months ago.

"So what?" says the guy happily spending money on grind that has been artificially lengthened by the developer with the specific aim of getting said money.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Haha wow.

Yeah that's not good timing at all. Sheesh.

For EA, hindsight = f*** you.
Just like with NHL, the joke with our club is that Rammer (can't spell his full last name) gets "excited" when we complain the get bullshitted. Seriously, I doubt EA and DICE give a f*** about what you think, truly. We saw that they apparently changed shit up after the beta. And where did that get us? No where. If anything, it's just gotten worse.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This game had so much hype around it that I was even close to buying it. What happened? I read about the reddit microtransition nonsense, is that the heart of the negative press?

I think it's stupid, but is the gameplay at least fun?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'll put it like this, even outside of the gameplay, if you buy the game, EA sees it as if you're okay with these kind of practices, even if you, yourself, is not spending a dime on any of the microtransactions. Even if the gameplay is fun, purchasing the game means EA got their money and is allowed to further reinforce this shit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This game had so much hype around it that I was even close to buying it. What happened? I read about the reddit microtransition nonsense, is that the heart of the negative press?

I think it's stupid, but is the gameplay at least fun?

It's roughly the same as the first game. It's also not hard to notice (especially in starfighter mode) all of the absurd pay 2 win crap cards they've put in the game. Straight buffs to damage/health/survivability etc...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It's roughly the same as the first game. It's also not hard to notice (especially in starfighter mode) all of the absurd pay 2 win crap cards they've put in the game. Straight buffs to damage/health/survivability etc...

Well that's disappointing. Thanks for confirming. Sounds like I'll wait for EA Access again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
100,000 downvotes. My god

Over 415,000 downvotes now. Boycott call is 4th on my r/all feed. Disney can't be very happy about this at all. EA may not give a shit about negative blowback but Disney absolutely does.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Over 415,000 downvotes now. Boycott call is 4th on my r/all feed. Disney can't be very happy about this at all. EA may not give a **** about negative blowback but Disney absolutely does.

I'm sure Mickey will be just fine once he gets all that sweet pay-to-win cash. :laugh:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If your game isn't free-to-play, you better not be having non-cosmetic microtransactions. People are already shelling out $80 to play your game, they better not have to invest 100s of hours (or additional money) to have access to all of the content and be on an even playing field.

I cancelled my pre-order because of this practice for this game. Unacceptable greed on EA's part.
I can't speak for other countries, but the price of games in the US hasn't changed in what, 10 years? In that time I'm sure the cost to make games has skyrocketed. I don't think this problem is suddenly going to go away. I wonder if the price of games just goes up at some point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sure Mickey will be just fine once he gets all that sweet pay-to-win cash. :laugh:

That money is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall brand value of Star Wars. Risking that isn't worth 8 or whatever locked characters behind a massive grind wall in a video game.

I can't speak for other countries, but the price of games in the US hasn't changed in what, 10 years? In that time I'm sure the cost to make games has skyrocketed. I don't think this problem is suddenly going to go away. I wonder if the price of games just goes up at some point.

The total money spent on making games from the big publishers has dropped, as revenues have gone up thanks to digital distribution. It's not a valid deflection for lootboxes.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
That money is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall brand value of Star Wars. Risking that isn't worth 8 or whatever locked characters behind a massive grind wall in a video game.

True but I think you need to weigh that drop in the money bucket against the drop in the bucket of how much of an impact one video game with problems only the hardcore gamers care about will have on the overall Star Wars brand.

As an aside, if Lucas couldn't kill it with the prequels, I doubt anything will. :laugh:

Besides, EA is just following Disney's pattern. They made us grind through most of Rogue One with boring characters and a nonsensical plot just to get to the awesome 15-20 minutes at the end. EA just translated that into game format.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Over 415,000 downvotes now. Boycott call is 4th on my r/all feed. Disney can't be very happy about this at all. EA may not give a **** about negative blowback but Disney absolutely does.

EA was voted worst company in America in back to back years before Disney signed the Star Wars contract with them. Hard to believe Disney wasn't well aware of EA's reputation beforehand. This is the same company that tried to charge people for HD texture packs and access to their online servers. No matter what EA does, people still buy their games by the millions. As long as this continues Disney will be pretty content with EA. The majority of the people who will purchase the game won't even be aware beforehand of P2W mods and iconic characters being locked at the start.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
True but I think you need to weigh that drop in the money bucket against the drop in the bucket of how much of an impact one video game with problems only the hardcore gamers care about will have on the overall Star Wars brand.

As an aside, if Lucas couldn't kill it with the prequels, I doubt anything will. :laugh:

We're in the run up to TLJ. Disney has spent a huge amount of time combing over every last thing they can to ensure everything is unicorn farts and rainbows. They don't appreciate this at all. They will remember this and how EA responds when it comes time to renew the rights contract.

EA was voted worst company in America in back to back years before Disney signed the Star Wars contract with them. Hard to believe Disney wasn't well aware of EA's reputation beforehand. This is the same company that tried to charge people for HD texture packs and access to their online servers. No matter what EA does, people still buy their games by the millions. As long as this continues Disney will be pretty content with EA. The majority of the people who will purchase the game won't even be aware beforehand of P2W mods and iconic characters being locked at the start.

And yet EA has spent weeks trying to turn the loobox narrative, even sending devs out to do interviews with people like AngryJoe. They've given several panicky replies on reddit in the past. They expected BF1 to do better, even though it sold well. This shit matters to them.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
We're in the run up to TLJ. Disney has spent a huge amount of time combing over every last thing they can to ensure everything is unicorn farts and rainbows. They don't appreciate this at all. They will remember this and how EA responds when it comes time to renew the rights contract.

And yet EA has spent weeks trying to turn the loobox narrative, even sending devs out to do interviews with people like AngryJoe. They've given several panicky replies on reddit in the past. They expected BF1 to do better, even though it sold well. This **** matters to them.

In that case, I hope it crashes hard. The faster we get the Star Wars license into someone else's hands, the better.

In the meantime I'll hope for a Star Wars version of Mass Effect from BioWare that will never come.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
And yet EA has spent weeks trying to turn the loobox narrative, even sending devs out to do interviews with people like AngryJoe. They've given several panicky replies on reddit in the past. They expected BF1 to do better, even though it sold well. This **** matters to them.

All they are doing is trying to distract people. They will keep saying they are 'monitoring' and 'changing' the system all to avoid conversations on why the system itself has zero reason to exist in the first place. This is a P2W game with a $60-80 initial price. BF1 was as bare bones as you could possibly make a shooter and it still sold over 10 million copies. If the Star Wars brand wasn't attached to it, I'd wager it would have sold about 5-10% of what it actually did.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
In that case, I hope it crashes hard. The faster we get the Star Wars license into someone else's hands, the better.

In the meantime I'll hope for a Star Wars version of Mass Effect from BioWare that will never come.

Yep, f*** this game, f*** EA and f*** DICE. At this point, people are literally only going to buy it because of the name on it. f*** you EA. f*** YOU.

It's going to be fun when the next Bioware game flops and they close up shop. It's gonna be fun when Respawn makes a Titanfall 3 and it sells poorly and in turn get folded as well. Then all they have is DICE making the same f***ing game every f***ing year with different skins, shittier gameplay, little changes and more chances to f*** you over for money. I truly, honestly want EA to die.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Yep, **** this game, **** EA and **** DICE. At this point, people are literally only going to buy it because of the name on it. **** you EA. **** YOU.

It's going to be fun when the next Bioware game flops and they close up shop. It's gonna be fun when Respawn makes a Titanfall 3 and it sells poorly and in turn get folded as well. Then all they have is DICE making the same ****ing game every ****ing year with different skins, ****tier gameplay, little changes and more chances to **** you over for money. I truly, honestly want EA to die.

Don't worry EA will still have Ultimate Team, where they are close to a billion dollars in revenue a year (exclusively from card pack purchases). Where people pay $60 for a minimally changed game and to start over again in Ultimate Team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad