GDT: St. Louis Blues @ Detroit Red Wings

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Man this talk about shots and goaltending is laughable. Detroit ended with 20% more shots and most were nothing chances from the perimeter. Look at the Blues goals- 2 breakaways, an absolute rocket snipe, seeing-eye low wrister from Bouwmeester, lost coverage and and empty net for Schenn, etc.

The real story is what others have said recently: a legitimate contender like St.Louis, who is worlds ahead of the Wings in strength and cohesiveness, can sleepwalk through a game like this, just like the Wings could do in their heyday.

Yeah we just have be patient with Holland's rebuild. :confused: Thanks, but I'll pass.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
My assessment of the game:

No system. Whether it's the guys not playing the system they're taught or the system sucks, either way, no one knows where their teammates are.
No support. The guy with the puck is on his own. Good luck. I'll watch from over here.
A bunch of kids that are inconsistent. You hope they don't all take a game off at the same time.
Crappy ice. Seriously, fix it, Ilitch.
I'm entertained by Jensen getting knocked around all over the ice. Does he weigh 90 lbs? He's scrappy, though. I appreciate his drive.
I'm struggling to see Frk's future on this team.
When Nielsen, Helm, and Glendening are by far your most dangerous offensive line, you need to fix something.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The real story is what others have said recently: a legitimate contender like St.Louis, who is worlds ahead of the Wings in strength and cohesiveness, can sleepwalk through a game like this, just like the Wings could do in their heyday.
This is exactly right. The Blues were never threatened in the slightest. Once they turned it on it was game over.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You aren't going to get a good replacement for either mid season. Just let Holland and Blashill run this franchise into the ground so we can get the best pick possible. Broom them all out as soon as the season is over.

You can't let this turn toxic.
Even if it's Torchetti or bringing in Nelson.
Something has to change.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Something has to change.
I hear you but the single most important thing is drafting an elite talent to build around. These guys are professionals, hell I thought that was the one benefit to having all these awful over priced contracts. They were supposed to help the young guys along. This is a great year to totally suck and trade guys like Green and Nyquist to stick up on talent.

Reactions: jkutswings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He's magical like that; he can make himself go completely invisible. He's proving to be your typical streaky scoring winger you don't build around. Look no further than James Neal who gets sent to a new team about every 2 years on average.
I compared him to Mule and got a lot of criticism, but they are very similar players in more than one aspect.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He's magical like that; he can make himself go completely invisible. He's proving to be your typical streaky scoring winger you don't build around. Look no further than James Neal who gets sent to a new team about every 2 years on average.

Lol. He was one of the best players on the ice tonight. My post was because he didn't see a shift till like 6 minutes left in the third.

Might want to pay attention to context before pushing your narrative that we've all heard hundreds of times.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Lol. He was one of the best players on the ice tonight. My post was because he didn't see a shift till like 6 minutes left in the third.

Might want to pay attention to context before pushing your narrative that we've all heard hundreds of times.

Which game were you watching? I saw him coasting all game.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Literally nothing you say regarding the refs or the calls gets taken seriously. Abdelkader could do a drive by slashing and get the entire blues bench in the face on the way by and we all know you'd get upset at the refs for penalizing abby.

You never answered the question. The available answers were yes or no.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I compared him to Mule and got a lot of criticism, but they are very similar players in more than one aspect.

And it's nothing to be ashamed of. He's a damn good 20th pick. People just need to lower their expectations. Streaky scoring wingers have their place in the NHL. Just not anyone you build around and pin all your hopes and dreams on.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Man this talk about shots and goaltending is laughable. Detroit ended with 20% more shots and most were nothing chances from the perimeter. Look at the Blues goals- 2 breakaways, an absolute rocket snipe, seeing-eye low wrister from Bouwmeester, lost coverage and and empty net for Schenn, etc.

Yeah we just have be patient with Holland's rebuild. :confused: Thanks, but I'll pass.
I thought "Holland's rebuild" was supposed to be a team that was somewhat competitive and used veterans to inflate their position in the standings but had no real chance to accomplish anything. This team is heading straight for the bottom 3-5 (again). Remind me again why Holland rebuild through the top of the draft is bad but some other GM doing the same thing would be good?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I hear you but the single most important thing is drafting an elite talent to build around. These guys are professionals, hell I thought that was the one benefit to having all these awful over priced contracts. They were supposed to help the young guys along. This is a great year to totally suck and trade guys like Green and Nyquist to stick up on talent.

I agree with you.

But if you're going to suck, you do so with the kids in big roles and the young goalie playing every night.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remind me again why Holland rebuild through the top of the draft is bad but some other GM doing the same thing would be good?

Reasons why that could be true: better cap management, taking more risks in the draft, taking more risks with trades.

Not crazy to think we could be better in those 3 areas... specifically cap management.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Something has to change.
I don't think that's a thing. I think no matter when you clean house, if you're serious about it the rest of the organization/team gets the message.

Besides, any true rebuild is going to mean a lot of the roster gets traded away.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So many toxic posters.

??? We have our own opinions which is fine. Mantha, Larkin, and AA have been hyped up a bit and may be some Wings fans are disappointed that they aren't true #1 drivers.

I personally am less critical of where our prospect and 1st contract RFAs end up. They'll be what they are and (hopefully) be paid accordingly.

Much more frustrating is our overpaid veterans like Nielsen, 5.3mil Tatar, Danny D, and for me especially Abdelkader. I've slowly begun to loathe the contract and the player he's regressed to.

It's a dark time in Hockeytown and for how great we were the pain is understandable.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
How about the maxed out cap on a ton of guys with NTC’s and negative trade value part?
Silence! Cast not thy foul logic upon these boards! LTIR is a perpetual magic wand that conjures veteran stopgaps from thin air. All is well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad