SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think it was 4-4 against Saginaw. 3-1 against both London and Kitchener.
Kitchener beat us soundly in the first game and lost one game where they had something crazy like 8 guys out. They tailed off a bit in the second half and our depth overwhelmed them a bit.

We had 3 fairly convincing wins against London, but were beaten at our own game in the last one. That concerns me a bjt, but they have reason to be confident.

Saginaw we outplayed pretty convincingly in 6 of the 7 games that we played a full roster. Schenkel had his issues in a couple of games, but they team I would most want to play due to having the worst team defense of the 3. Things tighten up in the playoffs and they won't be able to rely on special teams as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
players i expect to play well in the playoffs : (opinion )
beck, G. Hayes, T. Hayes, Frasca, Allard, kudrayvsev, martin. gibson.

players who may struggle in the playoffs : ( opinion )
karki, virgilio, BMB, clouthier, mignossa, brown, evans, brodie mcconnel barker,

however,
we will only go as far as charlie schenkle will take us .

Reactions: OHLfan200

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Against a team like Guelph, if the Soo manages the puck well they should be successful. Turnovers at our own blueline? Big trouble.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

IMG_5321.jpeg

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
On another note, former Hound Ethan Montroy ('05) is 7th in scoring for the CCHL with 63 points in 45 games, and everyone above him is older than he is. I wonder why things didn't work out with him here.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So, in that article is confirmation of no suspension for Carlisle. We should have everyone available for game 1 of the playoffs. I think the lineup will be the same as the Sarnia game.

Frasca - BMB - Hayes, G
Beck - Allard - Mignosa
Cloutier - D'Intino - Fantino
Brown - Martin - Hayes, T
DeZoete, Vader

Karki - Kudryavtsev
Carlisle - Gibson
Evans - Virgilio
Brodie

Schenkel
Miller

Reactions: OHLfan200 and HF92

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
We may see a line-up like this :
beck, BMB, G. hayes
frasca, allard, mignosa,
cloutier, D'intino, Fantino
brown, Martin, T. Hayes

HoundFan

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario

karki, virgilio, BMB, clouthier, mignossa, brown, evans, brodie mcconnel barker,

however,
Just curious, why do you think BMB will struggle?

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
with regards to BMB in the playoffs :
really do not know for sure if he is 100% health wise ?
when going against top D Pair, and with the increased physical play in the playoffs,
could see him struggling to getting to the net, hopefully his linemates will help
in that regard.
don't find that bmb is dependable on the defensive side of the game when playing
against other teams top players.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
interesting thoughts on who will thrive and who will struggle.

there's definitely some questions worth raising about who will rise to the occasion when things get more physical and the refs put the whistles away. at times this year we've struggled to have the kind of net front presence (aka paying the price out front) that wins playoff games. i think the frasca trade was a nice addition in that regard but often when some posters thought we got "goalied", i saw things differently and saw us firing a high volume of perimeter shots with nobody out front for tips or rebounds.

that said, i think BMB will be a monster this playoffs if he stays healthy, the other players questioned are are definitely question marks for me as well, especially our young D (brodie and virgilio).

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

however,
I had Cloutier pegged as a guy who will do well in the playoffs. He's a really intense kid that feeds off of pressure and crowd energy more than most.

Reactions: scotty171

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
guelph have 3 defensemen who are nhl draft picks. They play most of the minutes.
Michael Buchinger - 3RD round Selection of the St. Louis blues plays a ton of minutes ( probably
there best d man )
Cam Allen, 5th round selection of the washington capitals. ( 2nd best d man on team )
Chandler Romeo , 7th round selection of ottawa senators. big d man at 6'6" noticeable presence out
there.
Topp rowan, thomas budnick, & beauchesne round out 4, 5, & 6.
they do have a couple of other giants on D but haven't played much this season.
ryan o'dell is 6'6 & grant spada is 6'5".

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
guelph have 3 defensemen who are nhl draft picks. They play most of the minutes.
Michael Buchinger - 3RD round Selection of the St. Louis blues plays a ton of minutes ( probably
there best d man )
Cam Allen, 5th round selection of the washington capitals. ( 2nd best d man on team )
Chandler Romeo , 7th round selection of ottawa senators. big d man at 6'6" noticeable presence out
there.
Topp rowan, thomas budnick, & zackary Sandhu round out 4, 5, & 6.
they do have a couple of other giants on D but haven't played much this season.
ryan o'dell is 6'6 & grant spada is 6'5".

Zack Sandhu was traded to Oshawa at the deadline. Add in Beauschesne to the defense. He was our 2023 1st round pick, was injured earlier in the season but is back in and playing top 4 minutes.

O'Dell and Spada were call ups, won't see the playoffs. Guelph's D was decimated with injuries this season.... only D injury remaining is Hislop, an OA, who they have let help out on the bench.

Reactions: HF92 and DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Zack Sandhu was traded to Oshawa at the deadline. Add in Beauschesne to the defense. He was our 2023 1st round pick, was injured earlier in the season but is back in and playing top 4 minutes.

O'Dell and Spada were call ups, won't see the playoffs. Guelph's D was decimated with injuries this season.... only D injury remaining is Hislop, an OA, who they have let help out on the bench.
thanks for stopping by and adding to the discussion SW!

Reactions: StormWatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad