SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'd be ok if we don't play owen sound simply because they always seem to be a tough first round matchup and the bayshore is a tough rink for road teams. either way, getting through the first round rested and healthy would be nice!

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Erie is the easiest matchup. I think Flint is the best team, but we would still beat them. Owen Sound is a bit scary because of Carter George.
Erie and OS have good rosters. The standing of OS might be the upset of the year

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
IMG_5035.jpeg

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What would everyone here do for the import draft if you were Raftis?

I know that we like our young defensemen, and this is no slight to them, but I would probably be looking at drafting at least one, if not two, defensemen.

Karki (D) - FIN - A+
Nordh (F)- SWE - DNR
Kudryavtsev (D) - RUS - A+
Lutz (F) - GER - DNR
Malik (G) - CZE - B
Pucek (F) - CZE - F
Pytlik (F) - CZE - B+
Sandin (D) - SWE - A+
Kupari (F) - FIN - DNR
Makinen (F) - FIN - C
Tokarev (F) - RUS - F

The above is the drafting record of Raftis. He's only taken 3 defensemen in the draft, and all 3 have reported and worked out perfectly. The one goalie he took (Malik) worked out ok (although some argue this). But the 7 forwards he's taken have been a disaster. I would argue that only Pytlik was worth the pick, and he was only a borderline 1st line center.

Our D this year is:
Kudryavtsev '04
Karki '04

Carlisle '04
Gibson '05
Virgilio '06
McConnell-Barker '06
Evans '06
Solomon '07 (affiliate)

Consider that our two imports are gone after this year. In addition, Gibson should be shipped at the deadline for a good youg player and picks to help replenish. If we could bring in a couple of young import defensemen this off season, we might also be able to ship Carlisle off for a decent OA picks package.

What would you do if you were Raftis?

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

I know that we like our young defensemen, and this is no slight to them, but I would probably be looking at drafting at least one, if not two, defensemen.

Karki (D) - FIN - A+
Nordh (F)- SWE - DNR
Lutz (F) - GER - DNR
Malik (G) - CZE - B
Pucek (F) - CZE - F
Pytlik (F) - CZE - B+
Sandin (D) - SWE - A+
Kupari (F) - FIN - DNR
Makinen (F) - FIN - C
Tokarev (F) - RUS - F

The above is the drafting record of Raftis. He's only taken 3 defensemen in the draft, and all 3 have reported and worked out perfectly. The one goalie he took (Malik) worked out ok (although some argue this). But the 7 forwards he's taken have been a disaster. I would argue that only Pytlik was worth the pick, and he was only a borderline 1st line center.

Our D this year is:
Kudryavtsev '04
Karki '04

Carlisle '04
Gibson '05
Virgilio '06
McConnell-Barker '06
Evans '06
Solomon '07 (affiliate)

Consider that our two imports are gone after this year. In addition, Gibson should be shipped at the deadline for a good youg player and picks to help replenish. If we could bring in a couple of young import defensemen this off season, we might also be able to ship Carlisle off for a decent OA picks package.

Try to find a goalie and a Dman who will report.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am not sure I would pick an import goalie unless I had the inside track on a franchise goalie.

Next season is a retool season, and we have Miller poised to continue to build next year and be ready for another run in his 19 year old season.

On top of that, our U18 pick this summer Noah Tegelaar '06 deserves more than a glance. He has been lights out in the NOJHL all year with the league best GAA and SV%. I would probably use one of my 3 picks in the 4th round to draft a goalie in the priority selection, and then see if I could make a tandem of Miller/Tegelaar work this coming year. We also have Zack Irvin '07 who has had a decent season with U18 Elgin Middlesex.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This week is shaping up to be very interesting. Saginaw doesn't play until Friday night, so as long as the Soo beats Sarnia tomorrow, then the dream of Division champs is still alive when we take the ice Friday night against Flint. In addition, if Flint can beat Erie tomorrow, then that puts Flint right in the thick of things and with the tiebreaker in hand (29 ROW).

When Soo and Flint meet Friday night, both could still be playing for a lot. I would be surprised if Dean decides to rest anyone Friday unless we lay an egg tomorrow vs Sarnia and take ourselves out of the race. I will be looking for this team to play a statement game on Friday against Flint in this scenario, as it's quite possible that Flint could be our first round opponent (FLT wins vs. Erie and Sarnia this week gives them 69 points and 30 ROW as a tiebreaker, good chance that's good enough for 6th).

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Karki (D) - FIN - A+
Nordh (F)- SWE - DNR
Lutz (F) - GER - DNR
Malik (G) - CZE - B
Pucek (F) - CZE - F
Pytlik (F) - CZE - B+
Sandin (D) - SWE - A+
Kupari (F) - FIN - DNR
Makinen (F) - FIN - C
Tokarev (F) - RUS - F

Our D this year is:
Kudryavtsev '04
Karki '04

Carlisle '04
Gibson '05
Virgilio '06
McConnell-Barker '06
Evans '06
Solomon '07 (affiliate)

I'm not seeing a dire need for a defenseman in what should be a rebuilding year. I'm not opposed to targeting a certain position, but would go strictly BPA in both drafts this year.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
it would be ideal to see at least one of the imports be a long term guy like KK who can come into the program and be a 19yo vet in our next competitive window. Another option would be to bring in a vet for 1 year to help bridge the skill/experience gap in a rebuild/retool year.

Reactions: scotty171

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
Another good thing about bringing in someone younger is that if they are drafted while playing in the OHL they don't have the AHL option at 18 and potentially will be here another year. Would be nice to find a winger to play with Martin and Hayes long term.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
RIP Chris Simon.

One of Chris' biggest superfans was a guy I knew from wawa who had moved to the Soo. When he tragically died from a rare cancer in his 20s Chris came to the funeral and wept alongside his family and friends. A menace on the ice and a teddy bear off of it.

How many enforcers will die young before hockey smartens up?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The family has confirmed he died by suicide, and they are the first to point out the struggle he has had with CTE/Mental Health.

Something to think about the next time you're cheering on 2 teenagers punching each other in the face.

Reactions: ZinErie

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I was concerned that Surzycia was going to 'goalie' us, but that 5-3 was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yet another solid performance from Miller. Unpopular opinion, but I think we shouldn't hesitate to go to Miller in the playoffs. Schenkel is sporting an extremely poor .869 SV% since the start of February, while Miller is at a sterling .907 SV% in the same period. His performance has been consistently better all season.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
I wondered after his game tonight (Miller), if he'd crack the .900 mark.

I believe he was 1 of the top 3 in GAA too. Possibly top GAA now. Nice duo for Coach Dean to have.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I was concerned that Surzycia was going to 'goalie' us, but that 5-3 was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yet another solid performance from Miller. Unpopular opinion, but I think we shouldn't hesitate to go to Miller in the playoffs. Schenkel is sporting an extremely poor .869 SV% since the start of February, while Miller is at a sterling .907 SV% in the same period. His performance has been consistently better all season.
While I agree, he does get the bottom half of the standings. Shenkle is in for the upper half

Reactions: Pingjohn and HF92

TonyB

Oct 1, 2023

Surzycia should have got a star, if not the first star, for that game. Even your announcers sounded embarrassed, when he did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad