Post-Game Talk: Squid, Calamari? Jets win in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm not going to debate a couple of points in time where Trouba made a mistake - as if Pionk has never made any.

I'll stand on the points I made - Trouba added what Pionk can't and they need that, especially when up against the better teams. Trouba was a shut down dman and I think that is what would most benefit JoMo (and the team) right now.
I think the option is always there to go back to De Melo, and move Samberg with Pionk, but I look at some of the scoring chances they generated last night, like the consecutive one timers in the Kraken zone late in the game, and those are players that are thinking on the same level, and spacing accordingly. Two good things have emerged since the changes were made on defense. Morrissey and Pionk are getting points consistenly, and Samberg-De Melo have developed as a top PK pairing. I feel like those are both significant to the team's success. I'm not much in the mood for arguing after a good Sunday, I'll just say that Morrissey with Pionk to me show a lot of the same attributes that Josi and Ellis had to be an undersized but very successful pairing. And where Morrissey was the shutdown d-man, getting those PK1 minutes, he's now the most important offensive player on this team.

I mean the Jets did beat Josi-Ellis in the playoffs, by making them defend, so that's something to consider, but right now I say run with what is working, and all 3 pairings on defense are getting the job done.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think the option is always there to go back to De Melo, and move Samberg with Pionk, but I look at some of the scoring chances they generated last night, like the consecutive one timers in the Kraken zone late in the game, and those are players that are thinking on the same level, and spacing accordingly. Two good things have emerged since the changes were made on defense. Morrissey and Pionk are getting points consistenly, and Samberg-De Melo have developed as a top PK pairing. I feel like those are both significant to the team's success. I'm not much in the mood for arguing after a good Sunday, I'll just say that Morrissey with Pionk to me show a lot of the same attributes that Josi and Ellis had to be an undersized but very successful pairing. And where Morrissey was the shutdown d-man, getting those PK1 minutes, he's now the most important offensive player on this team.

I mean the Jets did beat Josi-Ellis in the playoffs, by making them defend, so that's something to consider, but right now I say run with what is working, and all 3 pairings on defense are getting the job done.
I'm not debating what the org is doing with what they have - I'm responding to the suggestion that Pionk is replacing Trouba and in some ways, an improvement.
I disagree -

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Finally got around to watching this one, was busy attending the Bombers big W last night.

Much improved effort, Jets were full value for the two points. Wheeler with one of the better games I can ever remember him having here. Love to see it.

Seattle was a sneaky dirty team yesterday, nice to steal this one away from them at the end.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That was a nice win. Can't stand the Kraken now. How are they doing so well? Trapping the shit out of us at home and clutching and hacking there way to wins? Thankfully the refs woke up from their slumbers and made the right calls as opposed to the Flames game the night before

Soucy thank you for a real dumb dumb play at the worst time possible. Not sure why he was so pissed he could have gotten a cross checking penalty right before that but the refs let it go but they couldn't let that go.

I like our team and its play right now. We stick around in games and if you do that you can win them. We could have won that game in Calgary too because we hung around(I like to think we handed Calgary that win with that short handed goal).

Angry Wheeler is the best Wheeler. He wanted a goal so bad. Hope we see more of that. As much as I hate the schedule it might not be a bad thing. With the injuries and I think a few players have some bumps and bruises a few days off are needed.

That first game at home against Anaheim is a trap game for sure. Struggling team coming in and us on a bit of a break. Be interesting to see how we come out in that one.

Bones needs to do something to get them PO'ed on game day. Doesn't matter if they are mad at him or at the Ducks, just get some adrenaline going.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've liked this change a lot. Morrissey and Pionk think the game fast, and that allows them to attack with speed. Watching De Melo struggle with breakouts early in the season, his game is just not on the same level as Pionk's. And I think that was effecting Morrissey's because the expectation from the defense is to play with more pace this year. De Melo doesn't hold the line all that well, doesn't sustain offense, or move the puck fast enough to be a true top 4 d-man. He's very good at what he does, good gap control, good sticks in the defensive zone. But I like our defense a lot more since Pionk got promoted. Pionk does make some mistakes, name me a defenseman who doesn't, but it looks a lot smarter for the Jets having Pionk playing the same role Trouba did, in some ways better (breakout passes). Maybe some worse, but the more they play together I think the more they'll understand each other's games, and complement each other's games.

I don't think that's Pionk, but I hope you are right. JMo has been playing well lately and maybe Pionk has something to do with that. But he played well with DeMelo last year. DeMelo started slowly this year and got demoted. No harm done if he is making Samberg better. Meanwhile Dillon and Schmidt have meshed well taking a little pressure off of both other pairs.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agree--I just think you don't argue with success. Morrissey is having, without a doubt, the best start of his career and he is doing with Pionk at his side. In theory, a Trouba-like partner would make sense for both Josh and Neal--big, tough, breaks the cycle, etc--but sometimes reality does not match theory.

Pionk and Morrissey think the game similarly and so can anticipate each other in a way that a less offensively gifted D could not. Also Morrissey is playing so well offensively it is less tempting for Pionk to take unnecessary risks.

Whatever the reason, it seems to be great for both of them, at least for now.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
A win is a win I suppose, to intense for the Baron!

3 out of 5 Schwarzenegger’s

1668464474714.gif
1668464474714.gif
1668464474714.gif

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
To each their own. I thought those were just about the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen.
I like that they pushed the envelope...similar to when the Sharks came on the scene with the teal jerseys.

Not my team so it is not like I would buy one.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's not just Torts, the same thing happened when he was in the Q and wanted out in his d+1 season. He had a terrible season until he was traded and then suddenly started producing normally on his new team. And Torts is no fool, I doubt he ripped him a new one on just one shift, he had probably been dogging it in practices and other games as well. He was good last night but he has had his share of bad games this season. By no means is questioning his commitment unreasonable considering his history and the many questionable games this season.

His season has been disappointing. He has been good on the PP but leaves a lot to be desired at 5v5 for a player with his size and talent level.
No ones 5v5 scoring rate other than ehlers', who has barely played, really stands out. Scheifele the highest at 1.89, scheifele has 2 more pts than pld in 40 more mins of toi. That can easily change in 1 game.

Overall, PLD's scoring at 5v5 has been pretty lacklustre during his tenure as a Jet. Especially given the talent he's played with. at least he's getting it done atleast on the PP as you said.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
punching ppl in the back of the head for 2500$

just lol
There are a few people out there that I would gladly pay a $2500 fine to be allowed to give them one good sucker punch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
No ones 5v5 scoring rate other than ehlers', who has barely played, really stands out. Scheifele the highest at 1.89, scheifele has 2 more pts than pld in 40 more mins of toi. That can easily change in 1 game.

Overall, PLD's scoring at 5v5 has been pretty lacklustre during his tenure as a Jet. Especially given the talent he's played with. at least he's getting it done atleast on the PP as you said.

Sure but Connor and Scheifele look better in the eyetest and seem to generate more dangerous chances, Connor has hit a bunch of posts and crossbar. Whereas I don't get the same feel from watching 80.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sure but Connor and Scheifele look better in the eyetest and seem to generate more dangerous chances, Connor has hit a bunch of posts and crossbar. Whereas I don't get the same feel from watching 80.
Both those players are superior offensive talents than PLD imo, have been for the entirety of their careers id say. So I'm not surprised they look better.

I just don't agree with individually shitting on PLDs scoring rates when no one on the team really rates well. The Jets havent been scoring great as a team at 5v5, 28th in GF, 29th in gf/60.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think you're subconsciously looking for mistakes from Dubois and not from the others. Dubois doesn't play the way Scheifele and Connor do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well to be fair Mark and Kyle are among the top skilled players on the team and in the heart of their primes so they are doing it in a more flashy way. While the second line goes about it in a more straightforward and less flashy way they are generating about the same level of scoring chances and have the same offensive output.

I wouldn't be looking for flash from Dubois, he's more skill/grit hybrid that does his best work 5 feet from the net and along the boards winning pucks. He's different from Mark and Kyle and that isn't a bad thing as it adds diversity to our top 6.

As mentioned no one is acoring all that well at 5 on 5 atm. I would imagine that once the defense and transition play is fully ingrained we start to see more nuance in our offensive play and that will lead to more 5 on 5 scoring for all players in our top 6.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the option is always there to go back to De Melo, and move Samberg with Pionk, but I look at some of the scoring chances they generated last night, like the consecutive one timers in the Kraken zone late in the game, and those are play
ers that are thinking on the same level, and spacing accordingly. Two good things have emerged since the changes were made on defense. Morrissey and Pionk are getting points consistenly, and Samberg-De Melo have developed as a top PK pairing. I feel like those are both significant to the team's success. I'm not much in the mood for arguing after a good Sunday, I'll just say that Morrissey with Pionk to me show a lot of the same attributes that Josi and Ellis had to be an undersized but very successful pairing. And where Morrissey was the shutdown d-man, getting those PK1 minutes, he's now the most important offensive player on this team.

I think we need to get some more offense from the second pairing as our second line needs a bit more offensive support. The third pairing can be more defensive to play with the more defensive bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad