Post-Game Talk: Squid, Calamari? Jets win in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That was a nice win. Can't stand the Kraken now. How are they doing so well? Trapping the shit out of us at home and clutching and hacking there way to wins? Thankfully the refs woke up from their slumbers and made the right calls as opposed to the Flames game the night before

Soucy thank you for a real dumb dumb play at the worst time possible. Not sure why he was so pissed he could have gotten a cross checking penalty right before that but the refs let it go but they couldn't let that go.

I like our team and its play right now. We stick around in games and if you do that you can win them. We could have won that game in Calgary too because we hung around(I like to think we handed Calgary that win with that short handed goal).

Angry Wheeler is the best Wheeler. He wanted a goal so bad. Hope we see more of that. As much as I hate the schedule it might not be a bad thing. With the injuries and I think a few players have some bumps and bruises a few days off are needed.

That first game at home against Anaheim is a trap game for sure. Struggling team coming in and us on a bit of a break. Be interesting to see how we come out in that one.
Am I allowed to say Dave Lowry as an assistant to answer the first part of your question? Then you look at their lineup, and they have scoring from their 4th line guys like Geekie and Sprong that are equivalent to some our 2nd line guys, and above our 3rd. Team scoring, good two way forwards throughout the lineup. We caught them with Olofsson replacing an injured Oleksiak on defense or might have been an even more physical game. PP is working for them. I'd say Kraken make the playoff this year, maybe need another top 4 d-man.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I've liked this change a lot. Morrissey and Pionk think the game fast, and that allows them to attack with speed. Watching De Melo struggle with breakouts early in the season, his game is just not on the same level as Pionk's. And I think that was effecting Morrissey's because the expectation from the defense is to play with more pace this year. De Melo doesn't hold the line all that well, doesn't sustain offense, or move the puck fast enough to be a true top 4 d-man. He's very good at what he does, good gap control, good sticks in the defensive zone. But I like our defense a lot more since Pionk got promoted. Pionk does make some mistakes, name me a defenseman who doesn't, but it looks a lot smarter for the Jets having Pionk playing the same role Trouba did, in some ways better (breakout passes). Maybe some worse, but the more they play together I think the more they'll understand each other's games, and complement each other's games.
Trouba was a solid partner for JoMo because he was able to bring the things Pionk really can't.
That pairing was one of the best in the league at the time - and for a reason.
Trouble brought an edge that was able to make the offense pay physically, make decisions a little quicker than they'd like, and be a little more tentative around our net - and he could move the puck just fine and was a strong skater.
I'm not a Pionk hater but he's no Trouba and he's a bit too offensive (and less defensive) to be paired with our number one who is moving to a more offensive game. When they match up against contending teams that can make your head spin in your own zone, you see the issue.
Regardless, with what we have now, he's as good as any up there - but finding a player better suited to that role would be something the Jets would jump on if the conditions were right.

I'd say Kraken make the playoff this year, maybe need another top 4 d-man.
In the Pacific, anything's possible

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
At any rate his play is atleast upping his value if they have to move him. I'd prefer to keep him though as he brings a different element to our top 6.

Agree, and think maybe a shorter deal that gives him a chance to cash in and move on if he likes might be be possible -- if all goes well and Rutgerrr the Tigerrr can slot in for PLD in 2-3 years then maybe the timelines align.

I confess that I fell asleep halfway through that one, and it wasn't looking great then. Great to see that the lads pulled it out of the shrimp tank, and looking forward to scrolling through the highlight when I get a chance.

If we can sneak past the Ducks then we're definitely on the right side of the American Thanksgiving playoff ledger, which should make for an interesting December. Really happy to see this team fight off even a two-game losing streak early on in the season -- losing in bunches and then struggling and failing to fight back out has been a curse for a while with this team.

Resilience! Set that win switch to...

1668442866252.png

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Trouba was a solid partner for JoMo because he was able to bring the things Pionk really can't.
That pairing was one of the best in the league at the time - and for a reason.
Trouble brought an edge that was able to make the offense pay physically, make decisions a little quicker than they'd like, and be a little more tentative around our net - and he could move the puck just fine and was a strong skater.
I'm not a Pionk hater but he's no Trouba and he's a bit too offensive (and less defensive) to be paired with our number one who is moving to a more offensive game. When they match up against contending teams that can make your head spin in your own zone, you see the issue.
Regardless, with what we have now, he's as good as any up there - but finding a player better suited to that role would be something the Jets would jump on if the conditions were right.

In the Pacific, anything's possible
I'm going to say that statistically they were great. Trouba gets way too much credit though. Yes he could bring the edge, but he was also a bit of a bonehead sometimes. You look at the St. Louis series he ended his Jets career on as being a prime example. And he got away with being a bonehead because of the statistical side. He liked to fire shots with no one in front of the net, but good for the Corsi. He had his watermark year with Buff injured, on a PP that was outstanding at the time. You also have to think that as a pairing Morrisssey-Trouba played a lot of hockey behind Lowry's checking line at that time, as Buff was the primary offensive catalyst, and Lowry defending in that triangle makes everyones game easier.

For the 2nd year out of 4 since that trade Pionk is clearly having a better year than Trouba. I think he gets underrated for smarts.

And I love that he was out there trying to challenge Burakovsky to a scrap in the 3rd.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Gotta say I'm really enjoying these post-game wraps with Bowness -- kinda reminds me of my dad, who passed away a few years ago, great combo of warmth and steel and clear thinking, and the team clearly really digs him.

Must be so nice to have clear communication instead of riddles and conundrums from the guy who's running the team.

Jets 2019 - 22:

PLAYER X: So Coach, how did I play?
COACH ORACLE: Uhm, yeah now well and even did you play? Does anyone here really play really? I mean, schedules, injuries, time zones, how much hockey tape goes into a smokie? Beakin' the cap, board work, ketchip, Ron Francis now there was a player, snuffle snuffle, 42.
PLAYER X: Uhhh, Okay. Thanks skip.

Jets 2022-3:

COACH B: Well for one thing, stop blowing the zone early dagnabbit. Meet me in 20 in the video room. We'll go through it.
PLAYER X (in wonderment): Is this... Can this be how coaching... is meant to be?

And yeah, that PP -- whoosh. Worse than the Kraken jerseys. I think Perfetti for Wheeler for a spell, at least until Ehlers gets back. Things just look slow and perimeter too often.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm going to say that statistically they were great. Trouba gets way too much credit though. Yes he could bring the edge, but he was also a bit of a bonehead sometimes. You look at the St. Louis series he ended his Jets career on as being a prime example. And he got away with being a bonehead because of the statistical side. He liked to fire shots with no one in front of the net, but good for the Corsi. He had his watermark year with Buff injured, on a PP that was outstanding at the time. You also have to think that as a pairing Morrisssey-Trouba played a lot of hockey behind Lowry's checking line at that time, as Buff was the primary offensive catalyst, and Lowry defending in that triangle makes everyones game easier.

For the 2nd year out of 4 since that trade Pionk is clearly having a better year than Trouba. I think he gets underrated for smarts.

And I love that he was out there trying to challenge Burakovsky to a scrap in the 3rd.
I'm not going to debate a couple of points in time where Trouba made a mistake - as if Pionk has never made any.

I'll stand on the points I made - Trouba added what Pionk can't and they need that, especially when up against the better teams. Trouba was a shut down dman and I think that is what would most benefit JoMo (and the team) right now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree, and think maybe a shorter deal that gives him a chance to cash in and move on if he likes might be be possible -- if all goes well and Rutgerrr the Tigerrr can slot in for PLD in 2-3 years then maybe the timelines align.

I confess that I fell asleep halfway through that one, and it wasn't looking great then. Great to see that the lads pulled it out of the shrimp tank, and looking forward to scrolling through the highlight when I get a chance.

If we can sneak past the Ducks then we're definitely on the right side of the American Thanksgiving playoff ledger, which should make for an interesting December. Really happy to see this team fight off even a two-game losing streak early on in the season -- losing in bunches and then struggling and failing to fight back out has been a curse for a while with this team.

Resilience! Set that win switch to...

View attachment 607853

I agree, I don't see Dubois signing for a long term deal but could see him staying for a shorter term like 3 or 4 years. That would still allow him to capitalize on a very lucrative long term deal in his late 20's.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Gotta say I'm really enjoying these post-game wraps with Bowness -- kinda reminds me of my dad, who passed away a few years ago, great combo of warmth and steel and clear thinking, and the team clearly really digs him.

Must be so nice to have clear communication instead of riddles and conundrums from the guy who's running the team.

Jets 2019 - 22:

COACH ORACLE: Uhm, yeah now well and even did you play? Does anyone here really play really? I mean, schedules, injuries, time zones, how much hockey tape goes into a smokie? Beakin' the cap, board work, ketchip, Ron Francis now there was a player, snuffle snuffle, 42.
PLAYER X: Uhhh, Okay. Thanks skip.

Jets 2022-3:

COACH B: Well for one thing, stop blowing the zone early dagnabbit. Meet me in 20 in the video room. We'll go through it.
PLAYER X (in wonderment): Is this... Can this be how coaching... is meant to be?

And yeah, that PP -- whoosh. Worse than the Kraken jerseys. I think Perfetti for Wheeler for a spell, at least until Ehlers gets back. Things just look slow and perimeter too often.
More of this excellent content, please and thank you. :):thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

At this point in his career I don't think Trouba would be a great fit either. It seems his game has really fallen off since going to NY.

Reactions: voyageur

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Dubois played that exchange really well, he loses his own shit at times but is definitely not easy to play against.

Yea I understand PLD is a lightning rod to some but just watching this sequence the dude is not mailing it in yet. I Iike the physicality/edge he brings to our top 6. Watching him battle here or him going after Matthews are events that make a team less fun to play against.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yea I understand PLD is a lightning rod to some but just watching this sequence the dude is not mailing it in yet. I Iike the physicality/edge he brings to our top 6. Watching him battle here or him going after Matthews are events that make a team less fun to play against.
The worst thing was him getting an entire reputation based on what Torterella perceived to be a lack of effort on a single shift.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The worst thing was him getting an entire reputation based on what Torterella perceived to be a lack of effort on a single shift.

That shift happened the game after Torts ripped him in the media for wanting out and essentially poisoning the room against him. I don't blame him for giving up on his coach after and dogging it.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I never doubted PLD's effort. He play a hard game. He will never be that 90+ point center but he can play behind that guy and be someone you hate to play against. Thought he drove the Kraken wild last night and it culminated in that dumb Soucy penalty.

Would like a 3 year deal from him but at the same time he will do what he wants and players earn that right. Bo Horvat is probably the template this year for what we will get for him either in the summer or next year

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I suppose certain posters will feel the need to point out that we were 9-3-3 after 15 games last year.

However, my response to this is to repeat what I've said earlier, that our team seems on a different trajectory and things "feel" a lot better/different than this time last season. There has been a fair bit of interesting back-and-forth over the analytics and whether this is all Helle. The Vegas game was awful and pulled us down. I think if you look at the analytics since Bones was actually behind the bench we've been doing better and I always expected a learning curve getting proficient with new systems early in the season.

Either way, enjoying the season and the results so far.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@surixon
I don't think anything is actually wrong with the shape. It's the same standard umbrella most teams run. The issue is Scheifele is a horrible HB QB that sits stationary in his spot and doesn't open up the cross seam passing lane to Conner nor does he move enough to open the bumper spot for a Dubois shot.

The second PP unit runs the same scheme but due to motion and quick passing by Cole they open up the cross seam to Schmidt quite regularly or he pulls players to him allowing him to get it to Blake who has the bumper pass wide open.

I agree it is not the shape - but the shape is not the scheme/system. It is only the outline of it.

The 2nd unit does not run the same system because they have motion that the 1st unit doesn't have. I don't understand why the coaches would coach 2 very different approaches to the 2 units. But I can't believe that coaching simply tells them to arrange themselves in an umbrella pattern and calls it a finished job of coaching a PP.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Soucy fined $2,500 for being a jackass.

He probably would’ve been suspended a game if he didn’t single-handedly lose the game for his team last night.
I'm glad PLD wasn't hurt, but any head shot to a defenceless/unexpecting player is dangerous and carries the possibility of dire consequences. As such I'd like to see an actual suspension, but I guess at least there was some supplementary discipline.

For people making millions a $2500 seems like a slap on the wrist though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad