Post-Game Talk: Squid, Calamari? Jets win in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I suppose certain posters will feel the need to point out that we were 9-3-3 after 15 games last year.

However, my response to this is to repeat what I've said earlier, that our team seems on a different trajectory and things "feel" a lot better/different than this time last season. There has been a fair bit of interesting back-and-forth over the analytics and whether this is all Helle. The Vegas game was awful and pulled us down. I think if you look at the analytics since Bones was actually behind the bench we've been doing better and I always expected a learning curve getting proficient with new systems early in the season.

Either way, enjoying the season and the results so far.
True!

I appreciate how we've done this year against some top teams - I can't recall if the schedule was this gnarly last year. Anyway its not shabby, at all.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
True!

I appreciate how we've done this year against some top teams - I can't recall if the schedule was this gnarly last year. Anyway its not shabby, at all.
I found this with the Jets schedule last year: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets Schedule | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm seeing quite a few games versus the Ducks and Sharks who I don't think were great last year. Definitely no gauntlet like the one we had to run with the NYR-Dal-Col-Veg-Tor. So it seems to me that the 22-23 Jets have faced a significantly tougher schedule after 14/15 games.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That shift happened the game after Torts ripped him in the media for wanting out and essentially poisoning the room against him. I don't blame him for giving up on his coach after and dogging it.
It was one shift and it could have just been a bad shift, could have been a mis-read, could have been a million things but Torts decided what it was, didn't give him any chance to show it was anything else, said with confidence what it was, and people did what people do; believe the person speaking confidently. It gave Dubois an undeserved reputation that followed him here and that people parroted coming into the season, including many on these boards. It's always just been an amazing part of psychology to me how these people can get to the places they are just by being confident and speaking definitively even if they're wrong. Torts, Cherry, many politicians, they've never had to be correct, they just need to say that they are and that's enough.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not pretty, but a win is a win. I'll take the 2 points.

Edit: Add that Rittich was OK, made some good saves.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Contrary to what blockhead Sawyer says, *that* is actually the right way to respond. On the scoreboard. Not "hey let's take four minutes of minors THAT REALLY IS SMART, I mean THINK OF ALL THE VOODOO IT'LL WORK BLA BLA BLA" like shut up Sawyer.

Good weekend though. I'll take it :)

:laugh: I had muted sound altogether by that time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It was one shift and it could have just been a bad shift, could have been a mis-read, could have been a million things but Torts decided what it was, didn't give him any chance to show it was anything else, said with confidence what it was, and people did what people do; believe the person speaking confidently. It gave Dubois an undeserved reputation that followed him here and that people parroted coming into the season, including many on these boards. It's always just been an amazing part of psychology to me how these people can get to the places they are just by being confident and speaking definitively even if they're wrong. Torts, Cherry, many politicians, they've never had to be correct, they just need to say that they are and that's enough.

It's not just Torts, the same thing happened when he was in the Q and wanted out in his d+1 season. He had a terrible season until he was traded and then suddenly started producing normally on his new team. And Torts is no fool, I doubt he ripped him a new one on just one shift, he had probably been dogging it in practices and other games as well. He was good last night but he has had his share of bad games this season. By no means is questioning his commitment unreasonable considering his history and the many questionable games this season.

His season has been disappointing. He has been good on the PP but leaves a lot to be desired at 5v5 for a player with his size and talent level.

Reactions: Inanna

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's not just Torts, the same thing happened when he was in the Q and wanted out in his d+1 season. He had a terrible season until he was traded and then suddenly started producing normally on his new team. And Torts is no fool, I doubt he ripped him a new one on just one shift, he had probably been dogging it in practices and other games as well. He was good last night but he has had his share of bad games this season. By no means is questioning his commitment unreasonable considering his history and the many questionable games this season.

His season has been disappointing. He has been good on the PP but leaves a lot to be desired at 5v5 for a player with his size and talent level.

Most players this year have been up and down as they are learning the new schemes. The players in the top 6 more so then those in the bottom 6. At the end of the day he's still producing at a 70 point pace and is on pace for 40 goals so far. I'm not complaining about that.

Nov 24, 2006
What the f*** is a Carson Soucy?
3CF1A2A9-F9A7-41BF-8140-0D612DCD2382.jpeg

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
True!

We started out with an incredibly light schedule last season. 9 home games, both road trips hit up the awful California teams. We had like 1 actual tough game in our first 15, away against Minny. Arguably the home game against the Blues too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What a great day...

Out of the tragedy for myself and my family... the loss of my ladies' Mother early today, after a prolonged illness...

This gift... euphoria twice over after such deep loss...

The Bombers didn't fail us...

The Jets never quit...

So happy... so emotional...

Thanks all...

Sorry for your loss and more so your lady's.

Reactions: John Agar

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I agree with this summary - defence had a down night as they were pretty scrambly most of the game. Part of that comes with some soft play so far this season from Rittich though, as I don't think the confidence and trust is there yet.

This wasn't Dave's best game either, as he was having issues tracking the puck, but he fought through and did enough. Should be a confidence booster for him.

Loved Eyssimont's and Jonsson-Fyallby's energy, as they were flying all over the ice again. Great second half of the game by Wheeler too, as he started to impose himself on the game (which we desperately needed).

Seattle was really gooning it up tonight, and this game should not have been close with all of the penalties they were taking. We need a tonne of work on our special teams, as that power play is... :facepalm: Still, great to see the instant karma for Soucy. Those tears are just so delicious.

All in all, points in the last half of a back-to-back, I'll take it.

PP sucks - but PK was very good.
Though Seattle showed how to score on a 5-3. 2 guys in front of the net looking for rebounds.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Noice. :nod:

The best thing about this is that our systems are still very much a work in progress, so we only stand to improve as the season proceeds. The offence has so much room to grow - you can see glimpses of it in certain games, however we're nowhere near consistent yet, which will come with time.

I can't wait!!

We are doing it without our top 2 wingers too. Niko injured, KC MIA. It'll be nice when we get them both back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad