GDT: Spidey's On Fire! Panthers @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think looking at the schedule - management should expect this type of stinker having that many games.

My feeling is - we haven't called one player up from Bing this year, what a perfect game to do it. One game, put Lappin in there, get some fresh legs, a spark, something to break up "another game" in a long stretch. Roster management is also looking at the roster and saying "what do we need tonight?" --could see it from a mile away, they needed a jump, so get someone in there with fresh legs/perspective who will go go go.

Not to say that would've made all the difference, but maybe he gives a spark in the first period, and we have the first and third period of good hockey, not just the third period.
Why Lappin of all people? If we’re gonna call someone up, why not call up someone who could replace some of Palmieri/mojo’s scoring? We already have a better Lappin in Coleman. Don’t really wanna see Lappin or Pietila-type call ups.

I’m not sure if Quenneville is still injured or not.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The silver lining is that we kept it competitive in a game where we played our worst 40 minutes of hockey all season long.

Plenty of rest ahead and Mojo's return, things to look forward to.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Johansson's return should be a pivot point for the offense. Palmieri's absence is still glaring, but adding Mojo solidifies our top-9 LW/C depth, which is huge.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Stafford
Johansson-Henrique-Wood

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
new day today. time to move on from last night's garbage effort from everyone - shit happens. win the next two against colorado & arizona and this one can be forgotten.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Looks like Bratt was expecting a forward to crash the net and just got lucky.
I'm not saying he intentionally was trying to score like that, just asking if he intentionally banked it off of Ekblad to cause a scramble in front.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The team looked exhausted and I can’t really blame them on the 7th game in 12 nights. If they come out with a vengeance on Friday I’ll write this game off as bad legs.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Check out the kid to the right of the panthers celebration :laugh:.

florida-panthers-v-new-jersey-devils-6be815a02ce5e268.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
new day today. time to move on from last night's garbage effort from everyone - **** happens. win the next two against colorado & arizona and this one can be forgotten.

I played Bittersweet Symphony this morning to purge the bitter taste out of my mouth.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Why Lappin of all people? If we’re gonna call someone up, why not call up someone who could replace some of Palmieri/mojo’s scoring? We already have a better Lappin in Coleman. Don’t really wanna see Lappin or Pietila-type call ups.

I’m not sure if Quenneville is still injured or not.

Quenneville returned playing the last two games for Binghamton scoring a goal and picking up an assist giving him 5 G 3 A in 8 GP 4 PIM as the 2 LW. He played 3 LW in his first game back from injury.

Lappin leads Binghamton in goals as the 1 RW with one game at 2 RW. He went pointless in the last two games with some near misses which let Kearns 1 C pass Lappin in the last game as the team points leader with 3 G 13 A 14 PIM in 18 GP. Lappin has 10 G 5 A 6 PIM in 17 GP falling off his point per game pace in those last two games.

Pietila has the same scoring stat line in twice as many games as Quenneville, 5 G 3 A 6 PIM in 16 GP as the 3 LW with eight games at 2 LW in Quenneville's spot and one game at 3 RW and last game at 2 C.

Queneville and Lappin are -2.

Kearns and Pietila have an even +/- rating.

Lappin and Pietila wear 'A's for home games. Kearns wears an 'A' on the road.

Blandisi 1 LW with three games at 2 C and one game at 2 LW leads Binghamton in minor penalties and took a tripping penalty last game after staying out of the box for a few consecutive games. 2 G 11 A in 17 GP -3 24 PIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sure they were tired but even Rico admitted that they didn't play hard enough the first 40.

Learn from it Devils, it's important to be ready out of the gate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
After looking at that second goal again, I think that definitely a stoppable one. I don't know if Greene screened him or what. Denis Potvin seemed to think that Butcher was screening him, when Butcher was behind the play there. I think I tried to give Cory the benefit of the doubt on that one.

It just sucks that he was playing in the first couple period's while barely anybody else was. Then after he allows a goal, we get back in it and he breaks down.

Watched the third goal again and that's the one that I feel like too many people are getting on him for, when that was the one goal he really had no chance on at all. Greene just looks worse and worse and worse and worse every time I rewatch that one. That wasn't even a rebound from Cory, that was a rebound off Greene from blocking it, which was awful. He should have just let Cory have the shooter there. It was gonna be at a sharp angle by the time he took the shot and Cory is probably gonna stop that one. Instead, Cory thinks Greene's giving him the shooter, throws himself out of position, the puck rebounds off of Greene's stick when he goes to try to block it or whatever the hell he tried to do with it, then Cory is way out of a position by the time the shot comes and it banks off of him. Really lousy stuff by Greene.

Butcher wasn’t on the ice for the 2nd goal. It was Santini and Greene and they played that rush about as bad as you could.

I legit don’t know what Greene was doing to try and stop or disrupt that. No gap control there either.

The shot itself went through Greene and off the inside of the post. Yeah in a vacuum it is “stoppable” but I don’t think Cory ever got a clean read of the puck off the stick, and Trocheck pretty much perfectly placed that shot as it went as far side as you can go off the pipe.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still don't get how people are blaming Cory for a deflection goal and a screened goal on #2 and #3. Maybe goal #1 was stoppable but I'd hardly call most 2-on-1's soft. There's a difference between soft and stoppable.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Greene caused the last two goals. Backed up too much and provided a perfect screen where the Panther sniped it through his feet. He also did not do that well on the 3rd goal. He did a good job of blocking the shot but he did not stay with it particularly well. Honestly though that 3rd goal was just plain unlucky. Greene blocked the shot but it went right back to the shooter where Cory was vulnerable because he was playing the initial shot. Greene had a bad game even besides those two plays.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Butcher wasn’t on the ice for the 2nd goal. It was Santini and Greene and they played that rush about as bad as you could.

I legit don’t know what Greene was doing to try and stop or disrupt that. No gap control there either.

The shot itself went through Greene and off the inside of the post. Yeah in a vacuum it is “stoppable” but I don’t think Cory ever got a clean read of the puck off the stick, and Trocheck pretty much perfectly placed that shot as it went as far side as you can go off the pipe.
LOL I didn't think Butcher was out there either, but when I re-watched the highlight of that goal, Potvin said something about Butcher ''Screening'', which I didn't think Butcher was out there, but thought maybe he was, but I knew he wasn't the one up there screening. I really didn't remember him being out there, but I gave idiot Potvin the benefit of the doubt. When that happened live, I was so irate, I didn't even realize he mentioned Butcher on that play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
LOL I didn't think Butcher was out there either, but when I re-watched the highlight of that goal, Potvin said something about Butcher ''Screening'', which I didn't think Butcher was out there, but thought maybe he was, but I knew he wasn't the one up there screening. I really didn't remember him being out there, but I gave idiot Potvin the benefit of the doubt. When that happened live, I was so irate, I didn't even realize he mentioned Butcher on that play.

It was Greene. He got it confused because Butcher’s Jersey always rides up and always hides part of his 8.

Steve made the reverse mistake on a different play last night calling Butcher, Greene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad