Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not going to pretend the Spezza deal wasn't disappointing, but depending on what you believe about the Senators ability to spend, if we assume Ottawa was going to attempt to extend Spezza, they've pretty much traded Spezza for this.....

Spezza, L.Karlsson
for
Chiasson, Guptill, Paul, 2015 2nd, 2 years of Legwand (Via Spezza's 4 million dollar salary off the books)+7-8 million dollars worth of long term salary off the books.

That salary might go a long way in Ottawa being able to extend everybody currently on their roster. It's possible that they would have paid for everybody+Spezza. But in the case that they had to make a choice between Spezza, Ryan, Methot, Anderson, and MacArthur; Spezza helped make the choice for them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On a bit of a different angle, what about the forgotten man? What is Karlsson's realistic potential? Anyone think he'll become a legit NHLer down the road?

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Didn't Ludwig Karlsson get a tryout in Dallas a couple season ago i remember him having tryouts with 2 team in separate season then signing with us the next ?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Crossing my fingers about that.

Last thing we need is for both pieces in that deal working out for Dallas.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Crossing my fingers about that.

Last thing we need is for both pieces in that deal working out for Dallas.

We're worried that the best player in the A next year would still be a bust cause he's 24 and may not be physically ready.

If L.Karlsson develops, it's cause he took some magic overnight. It was extra body leaving more than anything at best.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If L.Karlsson develops, it's cause he took some magic overnight. It was extra body leaving more than anything at best.

Yep. "The Other" Karlsson going the other way was just us freeing up a contract spot... otherwise, it's 3 contracts coming our way, and only one going back to Dallas. 3-in, 2-out gives us opportunities going forward.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Paul looked really good today. Probably was Canadas best forward. Made a pretty good case for himself being on the team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kids got a lot of hussle and heart to his game. Doesn't score pretty goals, but if anyone is going to work their way onto team canada, Paul has the drive in him to do it.

Oh for sure, this kid's got a hell of a motor.

I was just saying that he shouldn't be expecting goals like that once he goes pro.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Kids got a lot of hussle and heart to his game. Doesn't score pretty goals, but if anyone is going to work their way onto team canada, Paul has the drive in him to do it.

This sounds like how the Ottawa Senators evaluate players. Based on flawed emotions. It is illogical. we should use cold hard calculating statistics; the future; we have the technology.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I didn't watch it, but I find that hard to believe.

I don't think a lot of people realize how Paul elevated his game last season. I watched a lot of Battalion hockey. I'm not surprised that he stood out in an exhibition game when he's fighting for a spot on the roster while the more naturally talented players are maybe not putting the same kind of motor into their game.

I'm a fan of Paul and I think he'll find himself a bottom-6 spot on Team Canada this year.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
This sounds like how the Ottawa Senators evaluate players. Based on flawed emotions. It is illogical. we should use cold hard calculating statistics; the future; we have the technology.

And here we have a prime example of how not to use statistics.

It's a tool. Not a toolbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad