Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is this way I see it as well. PW is clearly option #1, the only hold up is whether he gets into the lineup.

I'd put Hoffman there after him and Ceci 3rd.

I'd like to see Ceci handling the second unit. Since we know EK is likely to get many full 2 min shifts on the pp I wouldn't mind seeing him switch to the left side when the senaine unit comes out with Ceci on the right. It would help Ceci and also force the PK to adjust a little.

I like how Markov and Subban switch around so often to be on the one timer side. It throws teams off and we could do more of that with EK.

I see it this way too!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
so chiasson is going with 90? same as spezza?

Yep, looks like it.

dynamic_resize

SPEZZA_NILL_672_STARS.jpg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
same size, same number, look similar?
we got our spezza replacement.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The trade is looking more acceptable as time goes on, but as I said before, we lost...and it's really no one's fault. Okay, maybe, Eugene.

What does everyone think about Alex's point total at the end of the season? 45?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The trade is looking more acceptable as time goes on, but as I said before, we lost...and it's really no one's fault. Okay, maybe, Eugene.

What does everyone think about Alex's point total at the end of the season? 45?

That's the absolute max, I think. I see him staying where he was at last year. 35 - 40 points.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seems like the safest course of action is to project conservatively and (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season.

Of course, the way things are going, he'll probably get whacking in the head by a falling asteroid on the first day of camp.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Absolute max? A rookie season plagued bu illness? That sounds pretty foolish.

Doesn't mean he's going to get the same minutes/opportunities here. Even if he's healthy. I'm being realistic. I just don't see this guy being a huge scorer in his career, and 35-40 seems like a likely output.

I'd like to hear your prediction.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He had 261PP minutes last year... He might not touch 200PP minutes this season

I highly doubt he comes close to 200 PP mins here. Dallas PP was inept last year. He was the scapegoat of a terrible PP overall.

I expect him to get around 45 points, but to say that the max he can get is 40 is pretty ridiculous.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He also had a below-average shooting percentage which will likely bounce back up, and fought a mystery illness mid-season that caused him to suddenly drop a lot of weight.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

If all our assets bust (although I think Chiasson is a pretty safe bet to be a decent to good hockey player and a 2nd in our scouting staff hands is always a good thing), yes we will lose then. But why use "lost" as it is impossible to talk in the past for a trade that just happened. Not even 1 game has been played since. I'm not sure why some people do that?

But anyway, I don't see it that way.

Who knows if Spezza wouldn't have been injured if he played for the Sens this year? And for how long? That things we will never know and maybe we just dodged the big bullet of losing Spezza as a UFA next summer.

Knowing that he wasn't going to extend with the Sens, all we lost in the end is 1 year of Spezza. The problem is not the trade in itself but the short term incapacity to retain our big UFAs (that will change a bit but Ottawa will always be Ottawa). Some will stick and be patient enough (Methot? Ryan? MacArthur?), but some others think their time is counting down (Alfie, Spezza) and thought it was now or never to win the Cup. The age doesn't always matter, it's how you feel in your body. Back problems is not an easy thing, maybe Spezza "feel" more than 31 and he has to be on contending teams ASAP. It wouldn't surprise me if he leaves the Stars as a UFA next summer

Would it still be a "clear win" (not that I find this notion of win-loss for trades very realistic but I have to talk in HF terms) for Dallas if Spezza walks and they have an "ok season but not great", like a 1st round loss? If they reach the SCF (win or lose) maybe even the ECF, I think it will have been worth it but if not? Also what if Spezza is injured? The risk is huge for them

Chiasson (23 y/o on ELC), Guptill (21 y/o), Paul (19 y/o), 2nd in a very deep draft

Took over 6 millions in cap hit in the process.

Let's not act like they didn't give up some assets and spent money.

For the Sens, it gave them budget space to sign Legwand to a 2 years friendly deal and save 1 million (for 2014-15) in the process, for a guy that had 15 less points last year while being a much better 2-way player. Then you got those 4 potential good assets.

Of course, I always rather give up quantity to get quality, but the quality in Spezza WITH the Sens was not going to last that much longer. It was the right timing to trade him, trade demand or not.

Maybe in 4 years, one of Chiasson or Guptill is a very good player and we got another very good prospect with the 2nd. And the budget flexibility...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I highly doubt he comes close to 200 PP mins here. Dallas PP was inept last year. He was the scapegoat of a terrible PP overall.

I expect him to get around 45 points, but to say that the max he can get is 40 is pretty ridiculous.

Re-read again what I wrote. I said I see 45 as being the max for next year, but more likely in the 35 - 40 range.

Our PP could be very inept next year as well, now that we're missing Spezza.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad