Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I really hope this deal works out. I look forward to seeing Chiasson develop. I hope he finds a home in the O. Also - I don't really see what the big deal is about Ludwig Karlsson. He put up nothing this season, and he's not even related to Erik. Part of the package to Dallas - big whoop.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I really hope this deal works out. I look forward to seeing Chiasson develop. I hope he finds a home in the O. Also - I don't really see what the big deal is about Ludwig Karlsson. He put up nothing this season, and he's not even related to Erik. Part of the package to Dallas - big whoop.

Probably just a contract dump.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think Chiasson could potentially have a Reilly Smith-esque breakout year next season. Guptill and Paul have also been developing quite nicely.

You guys will be fine, definitely not a fleece.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think Chiasson could potentially have a Reilly Smith-esque breakout year next season. Guptill and Paul have also been developing quite nicely.

come on man

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Hope you're right.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Apparently Guptill has some serious motivation issues.

U of M hockey fans has almost nothing but scathing remarks about his attutude when he signed with Dallas and left the U.

Guptill struck me as an individual guy and not a team player just by his play and demeanor.
He absolutely wasted his last two years here. Maybe leaving Michigan will motivate him to actually try again
Thanks for good Guptill, good riddance to DGAS Guptill. Hopefully the next team will work hard on a consistent basis.
I seriously wonder to what extent Red actually pushed these two out (referring to Guptill and Phil DiGiuseppe here). Because they needed to go, especially Guptill.
He was really, really difficult to watch because the single most talented player on the team but probably gave the worst effort of anyone.
Guptill had the talent to be one of the best in college hockey, but short of being benched they couldn't motivate him. He would disappear for weeks at a time and look like he didn't care.

... and on, and on...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

thanks

the guys on Hockey Central seem to like this Paul kid

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Chiasson doesn't have that kind of upside, and he's not young enough that he could suddenly improve into a star player. He'll certainly be good for us, but I doubt he becomes a big piece of the core. The two prospects, meh.

Not a fleece, but not a good trade either imo.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Why do we have to have a whipping boy?

The personality of some sports fans makes them want to scapegoat. When the margin between winning and losing is pretty small, a lot of little things can make a difference. The choice of who to sign, decisions on who to dress, or who goes out on a particular shift. It is highly complex.

It is so much easier to say "**** Phillips, he is killing us!" than to look at the bigger and more complicated picture.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Chiasson doesn't have that kind of upside, and he's not young enough that he could suddenly improve into a star player. He'll certainly be good for us, but I doubt he becomes a big piece of the core. The two prospects, meh.

Reilly Smith is like half a year younger then Chaisson :help:

they both have very similar paths and numbers from university to the ahl to the nhl actually

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Still hate this trade.

I have an uneasy feeling we left value on the table and instead opted for the "cheaper" package.

If the team spends the money we saved on Spezza's contract via bringing in a player through trade or UFA, then fine, I'll be happy that there is a plan to use that cap space... but if not, it just looks like more of the same cheap discount moves that are becoming too familiar: trade a #1C for three forwards who make under $1mil and a draft pick.

I want to be wrong on this one. I am desperately looking forward to being wrong here.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
come on man

What? I'm being honest. I get to see enough OHL hockey to follow Paul's development. He's become more and more well rounded. He wasn't just a throw in or an after thought.

Hope you're right.

I do too. Living in Kingston for the past 3 years, I don't hate the Sens and watching them see-saw has kinda sucked.

thanks

the guys on Hockey Central seem to like this Paul kid

As I said before, he's become a complete player in North Bay. Very high hockey sense and great defensively with an uprising offensive game. Give the kid time, he's great to have in your cupboard.

If you watched any Dallas games last night, Chiasson had a lot of chances where he was on the doorstep and should've just buried them. Like a lot. He won't create much offense by himself, however if you can find him a player to mesh with and get his confidence going, he could be a very deadly player this season and in the future.

His season would've been much better statistically had he not lost like 20 lbs due to the flu and suffered from anxiety after the Peverley incident. He's still learning.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Reilly Smith is like half a year younger then Chaisson :help:

they both have very similar paths and numbers from university to the ahl to the nhl actually

As of now, Chiasson has yet to prove he can be a good 2nd liner. R. Smith has already done that this last season putting up 51 points with Boston. And like you said, he's a year and a half younger.

We can hope Chiasson becomes that guy for us, but it doesn't seem realistic.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If you watched any Dallas games last night, Chiasson had a lot of chances where he was on the doorstep and should've just buried them. Like a lot. He won't create much offense by himself, however if you can find him a player to mesh with and get his confidence going, he could be a very deadly player this season and in the future.

Hey guys, we finally found a winger for Jason Spezza!

That's great new...

...oh. Right.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Definitely fleeced wed be lucky to get a top 6 forward out of any of the players we acquired. Chiasson should have been ritchie so we'd get some certaincy

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The personality of some sports fans makes them want to scapegoat. When the margin between winning and losing is pretty small, a lot of little things can make a difference. The choice of who to sign, decisions on who to dress, or who goes out on a particular shift. It is highly complex.

It is so much easier to say "**** Phillips, he is killing us!" than to look at the bigger and more complicated picture.

Phillips makes it so easy and deserves a lot of it.

People are now on a witch hunt to pay for what happened to Spezza. Karlsson will be the target and for no actual reason. The hypocrisy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad