Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Part II: Cue the next whipping boy.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Talking about Karlsson and our pp, I hope Karlsson actually hits the net next season when he shoots the puck. It seemed like all his shots missed the net completely last season.

Couldnt agree more. I noticed him and spezza trying to force the play way too often adversely i noticed turris and ryan passing wayyyy to much at least for parts of the season.

Last edited:

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Weircioch has a very good shot from the point, his ability to get the puck through on the PP could be huge for players like Michalek and Chiasson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you're vastly underrating him if you're writing him off so quickly.

How is not thinking he's among the best players in the league as an option on the point writing him ofF?

image.png

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hoffman belongs on the point. He has the better one timer.
And he has experience there. I actually liked him running the powerplay. He distributes really well. I feel zibanejad is better on the halfwall. Karlsson needs to hit the net more on the powerplay. He walks the line coming from his strong side and people just close him down. He need to play on his offside so he can let go of one timers. With Hoffman or wiercioch on the other side teeing them up for him or vice versa. How man times did karlsson just shoot shins because he had he puck for waaaaay too long at the point. I think that gets eliminate if he's playing his offside. The PK has two one timers to look out for.

Rosalie

Nov 18, 2007
Montréal
I think Chiasson could potentially have a Reilly Smith-esque breakout year next season. Guptill and Paul have also been developing quite nicely.

You guys will be fine, definitely not a fleece.

I'm glad that you take part in this thread, Satan. I finally have the evidence that you exist. Welcome aboard, Satan. :laugh:

BigBush*

Don't want to see an inexperienced forward on the point with Karlsson. There will be way too many shortys

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lets stop arguing about who gets the left point WE ALL KNOW who its going to be not Hoffman, not Wiercioch, and yes not even Zibby. Its going to our most experienced dman.

BigBush*

Why not stick Methot on the left point. He's got a decent shot, isn't bad offensively and will help cut down on the rediculous amount of shortys from last season

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Weircioch offers the most offensive potential out of that spot from the other 6-7 d. They should atleast start with that, and if it doesn't work then move to plan B, C etc.

I think Methot is fairly down on the power play depth chart, although I thought he was ok back there when he got chances.

I'd try Weircioch first, and then either Ceci or a forward (they used Ryan and Hoffman there last season) before conceding to put a defensive d man on the top unit.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I remember someone mentioning awhile ago that they think Karlssons numbers will go down without Spezza. Of Karlssons 20 total goals, Spezza assisted on 7 of them. 4 primary assists, 3 secondary,

Macarthur assisted on 5
Greening assisted on 2
Hoffman assisted on 1
Methot assisted on 1
Da Costa assisted on 1
Conacher assisted on 3
Michalek assisted on 3
Cowen assisted on 1
Zibanejad assisted on 1
Phillips assisted on 1
Ryan assisted on 2
Turris assisted on 3

hmm.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Weircioch offers the most offensive potential out of that spot from the other 6-7 d. They should atleast start with that, and if it doesn't work then move to plan B, C etc.

I think Methot is fairly down on the power play depth chart, although I thought he was ok back there when he got chances.

I'd try Weircioch first, and then either Ceci or a forward (they used Ryan and Hoffman there last season) before conceding to put a defensive d man on the top unit.

This is this way I see it as well. PW is clearly option #1, the only hold up is whether he gets into the lineup.

I'd put Hoffman there after him and Ceci 3rd.

I'd like to see Ceci handling the second unit. Since we know EK is likely to get many full 2 min shifts on the pp I wouldn't mind seeing him switch to the left side when the second unit comes out with Ceci on the right. It would help Ceci and also force the PK to adjust a little.

I like how Markov and Subban switch around so often to be on the one timer side. It throws teams off and we could do more of that with EK.

Last edited:

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Don't want to see an inexperienced forward on the point with Karlsson. There will be way too many shortys

Debateable. If Hoffman is on the point with Karlsson, then Karlsson should realise that it's his responsibility to play defence if the puck comes out of the offensive zone. Could be worth it. Stick an experienced defenceman there instead, and Karlsson is liable to leave it to him to cover defensively.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
One nice thing about Hoffman and Karlsson on the point for the PP is that they both have amazing speed. Should the puck be sent back into our zone, they will be faster than most getting back to it.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
One nice thing about Hoffman and Karlsson on the point for the PP is that they both have amazing speed. Should the puck be sent back into our zone, they will be faster than most getting back to it.

This.

Karlsson and Hoffman have some of the best acceleration/top speed in the league. I am 100% confident in their ability to catch up to player breaking through on the PK.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Zibanejad hardly gets to use his One-Timer, because he either carries the play, or he's in front of the net.

Give him more time and space on the point, and we will see how effective his clapper is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad