Speculation: Speculation: Trade Rumours and Proposals Part VI, Armchair GM Edition ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
What about this,

to MTL:

LD Mark Gio @ 50% (2.01m)

to CGY:
1st round pick 2015
RW Mike McCarron
LD Jarred Tinordi
RD Dalton Thrower

too much? too little?

To little. Tinordi and 1st '15 are valuable pieces, but the bolded are just throw-ins. In a deal for Giordano, (especially at %50) you need quality. Subtract McCarron and Thrower and add in another promising prospect or young roster player.

I'd want Nathan Beaulie or Brendan Gallagher included with the 1st and Tinordi. If not, pass.

Also, if Giordano was going to be traded (which I doubt he will), there would be a massive lineup of teams wanting to acquire his services... I could see Anaheim giving up a fortune for Gio.

Aug 21, 2014
To little. Tinordi and 1st '15 are valuable pieces, but the bolded are just throw-ins. In a deal for Giordano, (especially at %50) you need quality. Subtract McCarron and Thrower and add in another promising prospect or young roster player.

I'd want Nathan Beaulie or Brendan Gallagher included with the 1st and Tinordi. If not, pass.

Also, if Giordano was going to be traded (which I doubt he will), there would be a massive lineup of teams wanting to acquire his services... I could see Anaheim giving up a fortune for Gio.

Very true, if Gio where ever to hit market, all the contenders would be on him like shark's n chum...

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Very true, if Gio where ever to hit market, all the contenders would be on him like shark's n chum...

Contenders eh.

I'm bored so i'll spit ball some trades:

Calgary:
Hertl
2015 1st

Sharks:
Giordano

Calgary:
Toffoli
Muzzin
2nd

LA:
Giordano
3rd

Calgary:
O'Reilly
Holden

Colorado:
Giordano

Calgary:
Atkinson
Milano

Columbus:
Giordano

Calgary:
Tinordi
Beaulieu
1st

Montreal:
Giordano

Calgary:
Zuccarrello
Staal
Hayes

NY:
Giordano @ 50%
3rd

Calgary:
Drouin

TB:
Giordano

/bored

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Some interesting thoughts by Elliotte Friedman on the Wideman situation

On Dennis Wideman not playing on Thursday night against the Oilers as a healthy scratch:

“I just tried to look into it for a bit because when I first heard he wasn’t playing, I assumed it was because he got banged up on the hit by Burrows, and Bob Hartley made it very clear that was not the case. It was a healthy scratch.

“I guess they’ve been a bit like oil and water, Wideman and Hartley. They’ve had trouble getting on the same page.

"So it all depends on how Wideman feels. I know he's very tight with Giordano. Maybe he's happy being here with him. Maybe he feels this is where he wants to be and will find a way to work it out. Maybe he wants to see what the future of the organization is.

"But it's clear that him and his coach have had difficulties is seeing eye-to-eye, and with young players around the coach has got to say, 'You know what, this is my way and if you're going to play here, you have to do it my way.'

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Wideman @ 50% is quite attractive to a lot of teams. If he's a fringe player for us, find a way to move him. But we have to take salary back to stay over the floor. I wonder if a Wideman for Franson swap is doable.

Aug 21, 2014
I think Wideman @ 50% is quite attractive to a lot of teams. If he's a fringe player for us, find a way to move him. But we have to take salary back to stay over the floor. I wonder if a Wideman for Franson swap is doable.

There'd have to be some sort of incentive though.

to TOR:

RD Dennis Wideman @50% (2.625m)

to CGY

RD Cody Franson (3.300m)
LD Andrew MacWilliam

What do you guys think?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What about something like Wideman @ 50% for Franson + 2015 2nd (or 3rd, if need be)?

I'd rather the Flames take their chances with a pick than grab a mid-level prospect.

Aug 21, 2014
What about something like Wideman @ 50% for Franson + 2015 2nd (or 3rd, if need be)?

I'd rather the Flames take their chances with a pick than grab a mid-level prospect.

Leafs don't have a 2015 2nd rounder. That's why I added the mid-level prospect, MacWilliam physical Calgary boy.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Wideman at 50% for Franson straight up, please. I still don't think TOR does it.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
We wouldn't get a roster player and a pick for Wideman. Even taking half the salary. If he's a scratch for us in two of three games to start the year, other teams aren't lining up. At half salary, we might not even be able to get a 2nd. I don't think the rest of the league really wants him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We wouldn't get a roster player and a pick for Wideman. Even taking half the salary. If he's a scratch for us in two of three games to start the year, other teams aren't lining up. At half salary, we might not even be able to get a 2nd. I don't think the rest of the league really wants him.

I don't think you would get a high quality asset for him, but the goal is try and get something useful. I'd see if we could target Franson.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

If we were trading Gio to Montreal, we would have to get Nikita Scherbak back.

He's a big RW with high end skills. And great character. Always has a big smile on his face, his team loves him, he's humble, he works his ass off... not a hint of the Russian factor in him. He's a great prospect.

Aug 21, 2014
I don't think you would get a high quality asset for him, but the goal is try and get something useful. I'd see if we could target Franson.

I agree, I don't think we'd get a high quality asset, unless Treliving does such Burke magic. the rangers need a D-man, what could we add to get Brady Skjei out of New York? Wideman @50% plus a 3rd for Brady Skjei ?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You know, I thought last year that Wideman turned the corner on his defensive ability. He seemed comfortable in his own end, he was playing smart hockey...
This preseason, and his first game was atrocious. Back to the old Wides. It's sad that I feel more comfortable with a guy who didn't have job, and is being paid less than a million dollars starting in favour of a dude who's making 5 million.

Wideman @ 50% should be good enough to get some teams interested. I know Detroit is looking for a RH shot, and we certainly know that the price for Myers is going to be significantly more expensive than for Wideman. A decent B prospect would be more than enough for Wideman, as Calgary clearly doesn't need his services anymore.

Anyone else think that the Engelland + Russell pairing has been dynamite for Calgary?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I personally don't want any other 25 year old or older NHL defence-man. Give the spot to WOtherspoon or Sieloff or get another prospect and give it to them. So if I was going to trade Wideman, I wouldn't retain salary. Something like Wideman for Ducks prospect Keaton Thomson. Or just a 3rd/4th pick but I'd prefer to trade Kris Russell at the deadline.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I personally don't want any other 25 year old or older NHL defence-man. Give the spot to WOtherspoon or Sieloff or get another prospect and give it to them. So if I was going to trade Wideman, I wouldn't retain salary. Something like Wideman for Ducks prospect Keaton Thomson. Or just a 3rd/4th pick but I'd prefer to trade Kris Russell at the deadline.

If you don't retain salary, it means we have to take salary back in return, considering how close we are to the floor.

Also, not retaining salary would severely limit the number of teams who could trade with us. Teams that want Wideman are teams who are contending, and teams who are contending generally don't have a lot of cap space.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's definitely more valuable; but I see him as a core piece for this rebuild.
He's only 27, he's an Alberta native; he's a solid, solid middle pairing guy with offensive upside. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a decent replacement for him. Also, he's just hitting his prime, and has found a major role on this team. In two years he'll be 29 and able to hold down a middle pair.

I don't think Calgary's going to be rebuilding for more than another year (after this one); Monahan, Bennett, Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin is more than a solid core to grow with.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would like Wideman to be moved... Somewhere back east. I would definitely move him for a Buffalo defensive prospect or actually would go for Myers as well. Myers would be a solid acquisition.

I would definitely give them 50% Wideman, a pick and a prospect. 2nd/3rd depending on how good the prospect we are offering.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Seilof is not ready for the NHL. And Wotherspoon will get his turn when our d get hurt.

I don't think we trade Wideman this year. Won't be till next deadline at the earliest.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ Which is unfortunate. It seems like he does not want to be here anymore. Diaz is already looking better as our #6. I expected better from Wideman. I know it's only been 2 games (1 for him), but his play has sucked a whole lot lately. Trade him before his value goes any lower. You would think the highest paid player on our team would play a little better than what he is doing.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
^ Which is unfortunate. It seems like he does not want to be here anymore. Diaz is already looking better as our #6. I expected better from Wideman. I know it's only been 2 games (1 for him), but his play has sucked a whole lot lately. Trade him before his value goes any lower. You would think the highest paid player on our team would play a little better than what he is doing.

I know. But remember when Gio went down last year? Wideman stepped up big time. And I feel he will at some point. Takes the older guys a few games, weeks even to get into the rythem of an NHL game. He will be fine. This was a wake up call, tonight you will see a much improved player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad