Speculation: Speculation: Trade Rumours and Proposals Part VI, Armchair GM Edition ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
With TSN coming out yesterday saying Myers was available with Detroit and Anaheim looking at him, I wonder what his value would be? He would be an interesting piece.

Aug 3, 2010
EDIT: A quote from the main thread regarding Myers:

The Sabres' asking price was reportedly three players and a first-round draft pick.

Myers would shore up the Calgary bottom 4 regardless if he hasn't proven much. The way it works for him in Calgary is if he is willing to work with Hartley and as a willing teammate, he no longer has the expectations that he will be the franchise cornerstone defender in any way. And the kid is only 24 years old.

Plus, he is a right handed defenseman - with ONLY handedness into account, Calgary could potentially utilize pairings like:

Giordano-Myers
Brodie-Engelland/Wideman
Russell-Engelland/Wideman
Smid/Diaz

That's a respectable defense IMO. I'd still want to keep Giordano-Brodie as a pairing realistically but there's a lot more potential chemistry there with the addition of Myers.

The cost to acquire him is the question - but I would only be willing to see as high as a 2015 2nd, with M.Reinhart and Wotherspoon going back. Myers was even raised in Calgary... and we all know how much management loves that. :naughty:

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Myers would shore up the Calgary bottom 4 regardless if he hasn't proven much. The way it works for him in Calgary is if he is willing to work with Hartley and as a willing teammate, he no longer has the expectations that he will be the franchise cornerstone defender in any way. And the kid is only 24 years old.

Plus, he is a right handed defenseman - with ONLY handedness into account, Calgary could potentially utilize pairings like:

Giordano-Myers
Brodie-Engelland/Wideman
Smid/Diaz

That's a respectable defense IMO. I'd still want to keep Giordano-Brodie as a pairing realistically but there's a lot more potential chemistry there with the addition of Myers.

The cost to acquire him is the question - but I would only be willing to see as high as a 2015 2nd, with M.Reinhart and Wotherspoon going back. Myers was even raised in Calgary... and we all know how much management loves that. :naughty:

misread

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

Giordano-Myers
Brodie-Engelland/Wideman
Smid/Diaz

I agree that would be fair value for Myers (edit: not to mention, two pieces I could see being of high interest to BUF), but as good as the 2015 draft class is projected as, do you suppose Murray would balk at the 2nd? Would changing it to a 2016 1st do anything to add a bit more value, and if so, is that too high a price?

Aug 3, 2010
There's no way the Flames should include their 2015 1st in any trades unless those trades somehow involve multiple 2015 1sts coming back to them. If they pick anywhere in the top 5 they're guaranteed to get a better player than Myers, and anywhere in the top 15 they're extremely likely to get a better player than Myers.

Good of you to share your opinion but I never offered the Flames' first, so... :help:?

I agree that would be fair value for Myers (edit: not to mention, two pieces I could see being of high interest to BUF), but as good as the 2015 draft class is projected as, do you suppose Murray would balk at the 2nd? Would changing it to a 2016 1st do anything to add a bit more value, and if so, is that too high a price?

It's too high a price. The Flames are only in year 2 of the rebuilding phase and realistically they won't be out of the bottom-10 for another 2-3 seasons if everything goes right.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know about that. Myers hasn't proven as much. Since his rookie year it's been pretty rocky for him.

That's true, but moreso in a vacuum IMO. The Sabres are in no rush or have no need to deal him. I think they're dangling him to see if they can get a deal to improve their team, but if only if someone is willing to pony up and pay a premium. The Hawks needed to dump Leddy and still got a good return despite everyone in the league knowing their situation. Myers was actually very good last year and he's the Sabres top dman and he's not even in his prime yet, he's huge, he can skate, and score. He would not be cheap by any means.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Good of you to share your opinion but I never offered the Flames' first, so... :help:?

Quite sure that was in response to this quote you posted not your proposal: "The Sabres' asking price was reportedly three players and a first-round draft pick."

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
But seriously, every non-Calgary fan goes, hmmm top 15 number one d-man in the league... better offer spare parts that don't meet Flames needs.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Myers isn't close to being worth what the Sabres will want for him. And even though they have a ton of quality defensive prospects, the fact that they're still giving up on him says a lot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But seriously, every non-Calgary fan goes, hmmm top 15 number one d-man in the league... better offer spare parts that don't meet Flames needs.

It's the same thing everyone does with trade proposals. If you think there's a guy you need, it's likely you will have to give up something else you think you need in order to get him.

But yeah, that thread...

When you put in the OP that you predict Gio would be on your second pairing, right away you've shown that you undervalue him.

Aug 21, 2014
What about this,

to MTL:

LD Mark Gio @ 50% (2.01m)

to CGY:
1st round pick 2015
RW Mike McCarron
LD Jarred Tinordi
RD Dalton Thrower

too much? too little?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
In a scenario in which Giordano has asked for a trade or is at least amenable to one, during this season (while his NTC is still active), and the Canadiens are on a list of teams he's willing to waive to, I'd want something around Emelin, Beaulieu, 2015 first round pick, 2016 2nd round pick/McCarron.

But I don't see the Flames moving Giordano unless a) they get an offer they can't refuse or b) Giordano has made it clear he's not interested in signing an extension this summer, which also happens to be when his NTC expires.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
But I don't see the Flames moving Giordano unless a) they get an offer they can't refuse or b) Giordano has made it clear he's not interested in signing an extension this summer, which also happens to be when his NTC expires.

Yeah I agree, trading Gio at this point would be essentially admitting to tanking the next two seasons at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad