Post-Game Talk: Spectacular Team Effort, Hits, Fights , Niemi Solid -- Habs Steamroll Dallas, 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Pacioretty became less physical since the Boston injury where we all feared the worst. He's recovered amazingly well however, you are right -- he hasn't been the same player despite his goal scoring totals.
The Letang suspension probably did more to him mentally than the Chara hit.

There was also being sliced by Timonen's skate, and the details were apparently enough to have his wife faint.

Give Pacioretty a needle any time – as long it's not a dentist holding it

It's true though. If you do play "softer", injuries and suspensions are less likely to come to you.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What's even more disturbing is Pateryn admitting in a post game scrum, that Shaw's eyes "had rolled to the back of his head" after the hit. If that's the case, how does he explain the extra punches he threw at Shaw while he was out?

Yeah, hearing this after my initial post and reading more into it is unfortunate. It is possible he just lost his temper and didn't like the hit so he threw those punches, which (in a vacuum) I didn't actually have a problem with. Now, if Shaw was out, which I think he was, and Pateryn knew this right away AND threw those extra punches, then yeah, he's a douche.

I mean, even if he didn't mean to be malicious with the punches at the time, I am going to just assume he was pissed they lost and been hearing on the radio the idea he is bitter at the team for his past treatment and emotions got the better of him in the interview itself. So maybe those words were intended to rile up the fan base, but behind closed doors he was concerned. Or, he knew what he was doing so he can pretty much suck it.

I didn't bother adding to my initial post, but the only part I agreed with Pateryn was the idea Shaw kinda runs around recklessly but yeah, he doesn't "deserve" to get concussed for it and he certainly didn't deserve more shots to the head after being out cold.

My part about no sympathy I can see perceived as dislike for Shaw, which full disclosure... I am not a fan, but it's like all those stories you hear of people getting wrecked because of stupid things they do. I can't state how Shaw should play, but I think for his own sake, he can't continue playing the way he does now. How they change that, I don't know, but if he's gonna be at risk of getting a concussion every time he throws a hit... I mean, my own kid once fell down a couple steps at home. I always told him to never hop those last steps but he never listens. Of course, I was concerned, but hell no, I didn't feel sympathy. "I told you you'll bust your a$$ one day hopping those steps" I am pretty sure were my exact words.

Yeah, that's me. Parent of the year material.

#NoSymPity

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What's even more disturbing is Pateryn admitting in a post game scrum, that Shaw's eyes "had rolled to the back of his head" after the hit. If that's the case, how does he explain the extra punches he threw at Shaw while he was out?

I think he was saying that he punched Shaw before he noticed his condition. It's still not good, but not nearly as predatory.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Where were those hockey gods when we signed Bergevin? How about when he was extended? And now that he's been ripe for a firing -- nope, nowhere to be found.
Maybe there was a palace coup among the gods and the god we were worshiping when we won all those cups is now in chains in a deep, dark dungeon thigh high in rank sewage and rodents. Or maybe Nietzsche was right and our god is in the Caribbean enjoying the beach..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe there was a palace coup among the gods and the god we were worshiping when we won all those cups is now in chains in a deep, dark dungeon thigh high in rank sewage and rodents. Or maybe Nietzsche was right and our god is in the Caribbean enjoying the beach..

As plausible as all the Greek mythology stories I was fed in that lone university course I took on the subject many eons ago.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Shaw is injured because of lousy reffing. If they had called the elbow on him the play would of been stopped when Pateryn first touched the puck. As far as we know that elbow might have already buzzed him and he didn;t know clearly what he was doing when he went for the Pateryn hit after.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Shaw is injured because of lousy reffing. If they had called the elbow on him the play would of been stopped when Pateryn first touched the puck. As far as we know that elbow might have already buzzed him and he didn;t know clearly what he was doing when he went for the Pateryn hit after.

o_O

Reactions: Bloumeister

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If he is still mad after the other guy was clearly injured that he is an awful person.
Can't agree. I remember playing a head hunter in peewee and hated him for years later. Finally ran into him in beer league and he was still throwing chicken wings. When someone plays like that and continues years later....Well lets say I marchand him with an accidental clip. His team had to restrain him when he came swinging his stick at me. I just laughed in his stupid face "You got no Balz" I told him. I was cautious leaving after the game though.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

The hit came exactly as Pateryn was trying to clear the puck. Look at the replay from the other angle, the puck is still on Pateryn's stick when Shaw hits him. And it wasn't a blind side hit or from behind. It was head on. The only thing that was hurt in Pateryn was his ego, getting put on his ass in front of his former team's crowd. So he got up and gave a few punches to Shaw, who was clearly out of it already.

Come on we all know Shaw is a POS. The guy took major grief on this board until of course he magically became a hero once he was traded to us. Oh he isn't clutterbuck or torres bad, more colby armstrong level of dirty.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Come on we all know Shaw is a POS. The guy took major grief on this board until of course he magically became a hero once he was traded to us. Oh he isn't clutterbuck or torres bad, more colby armstrong level of dirty.

I never had an issue with Shaw when he was in Chicago, for what it's worth. I've probably been one of the few who's liked him since Habs got him, especially since CJ took over. But besides that, this hit, had it not ended the way it did with Shaw getting the worst of it, would have been a clean one. Shoulder to chest. He didn't lift his feet, didn't aim for the head, and hit the guy when he had the puck.

More important than all of this is hopefully his health will be okay for him to live a healthy life way before coming back to play hockey again. If I'm not mistaken, his wife is pregnant (not 100% sure but I feel like I've read it somewhere). And that should be priority number one. I think we can all agree on that one.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

ANd this one why I always hated this SOB

Never liked him in Atlanta, hated him as a penguin, didn't even like him as a hab.

Reactions: Redux91

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Holy Crap!! Drouin seriously played like a legit #1 Centre last night. Can we dream? Nah... maybe? Just maybe?
I always thought Drouin was better than what he's been showing with Montreal this year. Yesterday in his pot game interview he told reporters that he has gained confidence and that the coach showed him more confidence. Perhaps his problem is all between the ears.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
We really are the Leafs. Suck all year, look great for a good pick to help turn the team around and then fire it up to finish 9-11th.

Yippee!
Don't worry, they'll bring back Lindgren to help the tank, and put DLR on the top line or some other fishy moves like sitting Deslauriers.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Don't worry, they'll bring back Lindgren to help the tank, and put DLR on the top line or some other fishy moves like sitting Deslauriers.

Speaking of DLR, man he's overrated. I really dont' see what anyone sees in the guy other than his size. He has next to no puck skills and a bad shot.

He's big, and a pretty good skater. He has good hockey sense, but doesn't have the talent to use it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You watch too much American Gods
Is that a TV show? Idon't want to sound like a snob but all I've watched on TV are the Habs games, Games of Thrones and Better Call Saul and the last two years I haven't even watched them on TV. I streamed them.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Is that a TV show? Idon't want to sound like a snob but all I've watched on TV are the Habs games, Games of Thrones and Better Call Saul and the last two years I haven't even watched them on TV. I streamed them.

It’s a topic we can dig into on the other entertainment thread, but yes, it is a show based on a book. It’s about a war between the old, traditional gods versus the new age ones.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Yea it's a TV show but personally I only read the novel. It was about the return of the old Gods for one final battle. It goes into mythology and what Gods mean to humans. The modern American God was a overweight brat rich kid that didn't care about tradition. I remember that it was very Stephen King-esque in that everything is told in a realistic manner and it is very much about a battle on the physical plane, not on a cosmic plane, almost like secret agents vs secret agents. The basic idea is that the old Gods are a thing of the past and they want to reaffirm themselves or find a way to fit in in the new era. I wonder how the Habs Gods would fit into that, how they would be portrayed. Old and slow and weak cause of Globalism? lol

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
We really are the Leafs. Suck all year, look great for a good pick to help turn the team around and then fire it up to finish 9-11th.

Yippee!

Niemi is our Boyd Devereaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad