Post-Game Talk: Spectacular Team Effort, Hits, Fights , Niemi Solid -- Habs Steamroll Dallas, 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't agree. I remember playing a head hunter in peewee and hated him for years later. Finally ran into him in beer league and he was still throwing chicken wings. When someone plays like that and continues years later....Well lets say I marchand him with an accidental clip. His team had to restrain him when he came swinging his stick at me. I just laughed in his stupid face "You got no Balz" I told him. I was cautious leaving after the game though.

As an aside, I never played beer leagues and don't think I missed anything. I always preferred the freedom of no attachment and not having to play individuals who take it too seriously, who play intimidation games and then resort to trying to injure you, while everyone needs be able to go to a job the next day, hopefully not on crutches or having to miss time at work. Who needs that garbage.

It's sad that playing what should have been a friendly game resulted in you having to look over your shoulder on the way out. No recreational activity is worth that.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We really are the Leafs. Suck all year, look great for a good pick to help turn the team around and then fire it up to finish 9-11th.

Yippee!

We're paying a GM mega-millions for that? How difficult is it to land a half decent player if you're picking top 7 or top 5 overall at the draft? Do you really need hockey expertise to throw money at a star player like Tavares? This is a strategy?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
As an aside, I never played beer leagues and don't think I missed anything. I always preferred the freedom of no attachment and not having to play individuals who take it too seriously, who play intimidation games and then resort to trying to injure you, while everyone needs be able to go to a job the next day, hopefully not on crutches or having to miss time at work. Who needs that garbage.

It's sad that playing what should have been a friendly game resulted in you having to look over your shoulder on the way out. No recreational activity is worth that.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.
That is why i have stopped playing any ice hockey or roller hockey. I had women and people with autism on my team. They were vulnerable and some teams took advantage of it. Another problem with these kind of guys is that, if you get into a fight and knock them out, they will sue your ass.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't worry, they'll bring back Lindgren to help the tank, and put DLR on the top line or some other fishy moves like sitting Deslauriers.

Pretty clear that Lindgren needs to get the bulk of starts over the rest of the season. The org. and anyone who's remotely observing this team knows what Niemi can do. Since Lindgren is struggling and these Romanian games are meaningless, then let's see what we have towards next year. We don't need Niemi to keep posting the stellar save percentage he's been producing since January. This is where Habs' coaching needs to be proactive.

Reactions: Seb and Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think I've missed every game he's played this season. I'll have to catch the next one. His numbers on the year aren't great but his numbers since joining us are pretty awesome.

He has the 2nd highest save percentage amongst all NHL goalies who have started 10 or more games since January. Is this too much of a short sample size?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
We're paying a GM mega-millions for that? How difficult is it to land a half decent player if you're picking top 7 or top 5 overall at the draft? Do you really need hockey expertise to throw money at a star player like Tavares? This is a strategy?

Well if you go back and look at the players he's picked in the 1st round, it hasn't been great. We can blame Timmins all we want, but at the end of the day the 1st round is the GM's domain.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is why i have stopped playing any ice hockey or roller hockey. I had women and people with autism on my team. They were vulnerable and some teams took advantage of it. Another problem with these kind of guys is that, if you get into a fight and knock them out, they will sue your ass.

Wow, that's degenerate-level behavior -- when someone starts targeting mentally or physically disabled or challenged individuals in the ambit of a game, then it's not a game anymore. People with disabilities should be encouraged to play team sports where they can be valued. What you're describing is the behavior of abusive and immature individuals who are putting anyone who faces them, in a no-win situation. The lawsuit part is the cherry on the cake -- you're so right.

The only way to "win" the game is by removing yourself and those who deserve greater care and respect, from any opportunity to participate in an activity that involves these types of individuals. Luckily for most us, these neanderthals are usually not blessed with tact, nor are they cunning or smart enough to conceal their motives -- they normally are super obvious, which provides you with enough awareness to know what you're getting into before it's too late.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well if you go back and look at the players he's picked in the 1st round, it hasn't been great. We can blame Timmins all we want, but at the end of the day the 1st round is the GM's domain.

I'm just making the argument about the very low risk associated with such high selections as this year. Outside of Galchenyuk (who is amongst the best of his draft class and some say he might have been better if better-handled), Habs have been selecting in the lower tier of the first round. With what looks to be an above average draft class this year, the risk is minimized all the more coupled with picking in the very top tier. Hence, even Bergevin shouldn't be able to get this wrong. Or, can he? :skeptic:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s a topic we can dig into on the other entertainment thread, but yes, it is a show based on a book. It’s about a war between the old, traditional gods versus the new age ones.

I remember very favorable reviews of American Gods in our movie thread, when the show began. But, unfortunately, it wasn't available through conventional channels in Canada and the only way is to stream it. Would be a good idea to update it in our movie thread.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

WTF is wrong with people? :shakehead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Reminds me of the old Three Dog Night standard, from the late sixties. It was ahead of its time in terms of delivering a powerful message when it comes to doing the right thing and showing care.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s a topic we can dig into on the other entertainment thread, but yes, it is a show based on a book. It’s about a war between the old, traditional gods versus the new age ones.

Yea it's a TV show but personally I only read the novel.

Brought it up in the Let's Talk About Movies thread, if you guys wish to add feedback. Thanks.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hyper competitive spirit. I took myself out of beer league because my short man complex resulted in a few fights(3 in 8 games) If people want to play aggressive be ready for paybacks. Non contact league is suppose to be non contact, maybe a bit of jostling for the puck. It's not having guys riding you along the boards, or throwing elbows, or crosschecking in the back of the head.

Exactly the point, its suppose to be fun and most of us have to work the next day, or the day after if you are lucky enough to get late Saturday night ice. I always tried to play a fairly clean game, but when it came to the f faces that are running around trying to injure people, I would take exception and play dirty against those type of players. Like the guy elbowing people, he claimed it was just because he was tall(6'5") Yeah well how come all the guys 6'3" aren't hitting guys in the head. Sorry I am short so I just happen to hit you at the hip and you went ass over tea kettle. It wasn't my fault you tried to skate right through me. :sarcasm:

However as bad as that is, we are all grown men and most without any disability (people that can't comprehend its for fun aside), it pales in comparison to playing dirty against special needs participants. My wife is a PSW and getting the guys she assists to do physical activity is often a challenge. Doing things to make them not want to return is heinous at best and with the possibility of injury while playing like a goof making it even criminal. Makes you wonder about the world we live in. :help:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Personally I am really enjoying some of these games. It's cool to see a young cohort

There’s a couple of young guys playing well but nothing to write home about. We’re still boring as all **** to watch and nothing screams excitement like counting down the regular season games for draft position for the 2nd time in 3 years. It’s also unfortunate we likely wasted a career year in Gallagher on this season

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Hey @ToLegitToQuit how's dear old Charlie Lindgren since Price went down?
Remember when you refused to understand how being a back up once in a while with no pressure on the shoulders is very different than getting the number 1 spot? That if CL was starting games all season, he probably would have played just as bad and even worse than Price.
Remember how you refused to understand this?
Kinda glad you have been silent lately though, you definitely need to do more reading and learning than posting. Keep it up girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->