Post-Game Talk: Spectacular Team Effort, Hits, Fights , Niemi Solid -- Habs Steamroll Dallas, 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well it was Shaw that went for a high AND late hit while Pateryn was in a vulnerable bent position. There could have easily been 2 concussions on that reckless play, hard to blame him for not being sorry.

26ci3t.gif

26c7sd.gif
Good hit by Shaw. But I think he has a glass head. Too many concussions. Done for season at the very least.
Pateryns jabs to the head while not necessary, did not have anything on them.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If he’s forced to retire, does that count against the cap or is that an insurance issue? I do hope he’s ok though.

There might be a little because he made more in his first two seasons than what his cap hit was but I doubt it.

Hockey players these days only retire when they don't have a contract. Shaw would just stay on LTIR for four years. A team wanting the LTIR deadweight to hit floor might want to trade for him. That would be about it. That said it's all way too early.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There might be a little because he made more in his first two seasons than what his cap hit was but I doubt it.

Hockey players these days only retire when they don't have a contract. Shaw would just stay on LTIR for four years. A team wanting the LTIR deadweight to hit floor might want to trade for him. That would be about it. That said it's all way too early.

It'll be LTIR'd. Every single player who is forced into retirement by injury (not their own decision) takes the money, and that's a PA thing.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Either you can't read or you didn't read what he said.

He didn't know he was knocked out until he saw his eyes were rolled back. It's not like he stopped, saw he was out cold, and decided to punch him in cold blood.

Hate him for on ice reasons or for not having sympathy for Shaw (which honestly Shaw has never earned with the stuff he has pulled in the past). But he didn't try to hit a guy he knew was knocked out. It wasn't until he was punching him that he realized he was out, then realized the collision is what did it. I don't condone what Pateryn did. Just get up and play. But it's not like he's Zdeno Chara trying to rip Emelin's helmet off knowing he had a wired jaw so he could punch it.

Exactly. Pateryn probably saw the replay and realized that Shaw was KO as soon as the contact happened but he didn't know in the moment that Shaw was out. He threw his hand at Shaw than saw he was KO and stopped. And let's not forget that Pateryn was hit hard on that play aswell. Like I said earlier in this thread, I understand why Pateryn did that since he felt it was a late hit... and let's be honest.. what Pateryn said about Shaw is true. We have sympathy for Shaw now because he gets concussed every 30 games.. but the guy has a reputation in the league.

Nobody felt bad for Tucker when Kovalev elbowed him or when Bouillon took him out... same goes for Shaw.

Shaw knocked himself out trying to lay a late hit on a vulnerable player, I understand why Pateryn said that although I think it was unecessary but Pateryn doesn't seem to be the most politicaly correct guy out there.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Clean hit and I hope he’s ok, but seriously, if there were offers for him WHY wasn’t he traded. He’s a third liner, 10-12 goal plugger with concussion issues and a bad contract! Why is he untouchable??!! No gm will touch him now even IF he recovers. Seriously, are we a better team with this guy? I say no. He brought little to nothing.

CcenthuXEAEDGHA.jpg

Shaw fits the last 'fail' on this list.

(but even though I also think he's utterly useless, I hope he's alright, even though he's probably already nearing retirement)

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Slow motion doesn't show the speed of the play. It wasn't late. The puck is right there. It wasn't high. Pateryn is slightly bent over & Shaw leads with arms to his chest to push him over.

But Pateryn has forward momentum too so Shaw's head's collides with Pateryn's. A high hit is when a guy's shoulder is raised to put it into someone's head or if he jumps.

Basically they face planted into each other. They went head on head.

There's a reason why Pateryn got a penalty & Shaw didn't.

Pateryn got a penalty because of the punches he threw. Refs will always call the retaliation.

Reactions: PaulD

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Like I said earlier in this thread, I understand why Pateryn did that since he felt it was a late hit... and let's be honest.. what Pateryn said about Shaw is true. We have sympathy for Shaw now because he gets concussed every 30 games.. but the guy has a reputation in the league.

Nobody felt bad for Tucker when Kovalev elbowed him or when Bouillon took him out... same goes for Shaw.

Shaw knocked himself out trying to lay a late hit on a vulnerable player, I understand why Pateryn said that although I think it was unecessary but Pateryn doesn't seem to be the most politicaly correct guy out there.

Jesper Fast, Barret Jackman, Connor Hobbs, Mike Smith, Christian Thomas, Joe Pavelski, I'm sure I missed someone.

Also give me more politically incorrect players. I want players to be honest.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe the hockey gods will show us some love at the lottery for not tanking

At least the team is fun to watch now for the first time in a long time, glimpse of the post Plekanec & Patioready era...

Where were those hockey gods when we signed Bergevin? How about when he was extended? And now that he's been ripe for a firing -- nope, nowhere to be found.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Where were those hockey gods when we signed Bergevin? How about when he was extended? And now that he's been ripe for a firing -- nope, nowhere to be found.

I don't think the person evoking the hockey gods is entirely serious mate. No need to let Bergevin live inside your head. Go for a walk. Have a beer. Smoke a bowl. Be free of this satan.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Clean hit and I hope he’s ok, but seriously, if there were offers for him WHY wasn’t he traded. He’s a third liner, 10-12 goal plugger with concussion issues and a bad contract! Why is he untouchable??!! No gm will touch him now even IF he recovers. Seriously, are we a better team with this guy? I say no. He brought little to nothing.
Player like Shaw is wasted on a team like the Canadiens. He is of value playing 3rd line/2nd pp unit on a team like the Jets, Bruins, Lightening , Preds , even Flames....(Hawks a couple years back) On the going nowhere Canadiens.......he is basically useless. As we have seen since the day he got there.

Reactions: Pickles

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Player like Shaw is wasted on a team like the Canadiens. He is of value playing 3rd line/2nd pp unit on a team like the Jets, Bruins, Lightening , Preds , even Flames....(Hawks a couple years back) On the going nowhere Canadiens.......he is basically useless. As we have seen since the day he got there.

His value is what it is. We just bought high on him. A few people were deeply skeptical that he was worth anything when we traded for him, #playoffwarrior, and we've largely been proven correct.

We should have taken basically anybody with those two picks instead.

Reactions: Pickles and PaulD

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Tonight's win shows the difference between Montreal at home and away. We are the worst team in the entire league on the road, and by a significant margin.

At home we're 17-10-8.

On the road we're 9-22-4.

The only explanation that I have for this brobdingnagian gap is that Julien is a good coach, with a dreadful, thin lineup.

17-10-8 is a losing record IMO.

True but still a 98 point pace thanks to the loser point and would have us sitting in the 1st wild card spot at the moment if we could equal it on the road

Having that many loser points pretty much predicts your team is going to be out in the playoffs quick.

Habs have the most OT losses in the NHL (12, tied with ANA). They're 2-12 in OT.

Interesting stat: NHL teams with the most OT losses are either bubble teams or are already out of contention. The "TOP 10" (lol) does have teams like ANA, NASH and WPG, though:

ANA (1st): 4-12

NASH (9th): 5-10

WPG (10th): 2-10

At the other end of the spectrum, you have teams like:

PITTS (30th): 2-4

TBL (29th): 6-4

LVK (27th): 3-5

It's an interesting stat to analyze heading into the playoffs because while loser point helps you in the standings, it does nothing for you in the playoffs. Looking into this deeper, the ability to win in regulation cannot be ignored. Just for fun:

Vegas only went into OT 8 times so far this season. They have a 37.5% OT win rate. They also have the same number of wins as Nashville (45), but more regulation wins (42 VS 40). They're 4th overall to Nashville's 1st place. Nashville has a 33.3% OT win rate. Winnipeg (5th overall) have 4 less wins total (41), but only 2 OT wins; they're 16.7% in OT. Tampa (2nd overall) has the most wins in the league (48), 42 regulations wins, and have a 60% win rate in OT (6-4).

Not sure if we should put too much credence in those numbers, but still, one has to wonder: are some teams better-suited/prepared/built to win in regulation? Is the OT record a sign of a team's ability to face the pressure and get the W?

Bear in mind that there's no 3-on-3 OT in the playoffs. But is there cause for concern if teams like ANA, NASH, WPG and TOR had to go in OT twice as often as teams like Vegas and Pittsburgh? Does a team like Tampa head into playoffs with the confidence that A) they'll wind their games in regulation, and B) if they go in OT, they've got the tools to win the games no matter what?

I have no answer for this. Just putting this out there. Food for thought.

And now, back to silly mode for me :dunce:

2efkzkz.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think the person evoking the hockey gods is entirely serious mate. No need to let Bergevin live inside your head. Go for a walk. Have a beer. Smoke a bowl. Be free of this satan.

Mate, it was all in jest. Perhaps I should have used a smiley. I'm totally not emotionally invested in the team.

Good luck with those internet diagnoses. Hoping your hobby works out for you.

And here's a smiley, so you know I'm totally kidding: :D

Reactions: groovejuice

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Holy Crap!! Drouin seriously played like a legit #1 Centre last night. Can we dream? Nah... maybe? Just maybe?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pateryn had some harsh words for Shaw regarding the hit after the game. Something along the lines of Shaw taking runs at players and there's a reason why guys like him get 4-5 concussions a year.

Not to kick a guy when he is down, nor do I wish harm on Shaw despite my grievances with him, but I don't disagree with Pateryn. Shaw needs to play a lot smarter and protect himself better also. I am not happy Shaw is hurt (at a human level, not talking about tanking and general hockey play) and hope he recovers 100% (there is life after hockey) but I don't feel any sympathy for him.

What's even more disturbing is Pateryn admitting in a post game scrum, that Shaw's eyes "had rolled to the back of his head" after the hit. If that's the case, how does he explain the extra punches he threw at Shaw while he was out?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Oh man, that was brutal. A Cup run would have helped offset a few bad memories.
It was really crushing, because the Pacioretty we had that season was totally a go-getter and not the ghost playoff travesty he is now. We took Boston to 7 without him. He very well could have provided even just one or two goals in an OT to finish them off.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gonna have to ask myself if posters like my previous post because of my deep analysis, or if you're just shallow members who like beefcake :biglaugh:

I have already dubbed your beefcake persona in a previous post in this thread. Here he is once again ...

$

Reactions: Bloumeister

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was really crushing, because the Pacioretty we had that season was totally a go-getter and not the ghost playoff travesty he is now. We took Boston to 7 without him. He very well could have provided even just one or two goals in an OT to finish them off.

Pacioretty became less physical since the Boston injury where we all feared the worst. He's recovered amazingly well however, you are right -- he hasn't been the same player despite his goal scoring totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->