Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i liked sosh, he played hard and tough, good solid skater...he has some skill but not enough nhl skills imo to play top 3 lines

we so deep at wings and got aj and grundstrom and korshkov not too far from what sosh provided

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
So we traded Sosh for a fourth which we hope will be as good as Sosh? Makes no sense especially when we need cheap players who can provide what he brings.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
So we traded Sosh for a fourth which we hope will be as good as Sosh? Makes no sense especially when we need cheap players who can provide what he brings.
Maybe someone who will be as good as Sosh in 4 to 5 years. As of know we were maxed out with contracts and no room for Sosh in our lineup.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
So in terms of the draft and mid to low rounds in particular is it similar to the NFL where you can still get good talent like Sherman, Brown, Boldin, Brady, etc.

Or is that far less likely in the NHL?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So in terms of the draft and mid to low rounds in particular is it similar to the NFL where you can still get good talent like Sherman, Brown, Boldin, Brady, etc.

Or is that far less likely in the NHL?

of course

Benn, Lundqvist, Zetterberg,Datsyuk, and Pekka Rinne all were rd 5 or later

Hornqvist was the last pick of his draft year

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No we traded him to make room...we were at 50 contracts so max. Now we are at 49. This also tells us Leivo will get more than a 4th AND I have a feeling he maybe packaged for a bigger return. Its him or Martin.

Take into consideration that 50 contracts includes the Marlies, Grundstrom and the 2 of our guys in the ECHL.

What that means is, even in a smaller trade we can only take on 1 extra contract. Thusly in a bigger deal itll be 2 or more of our players out unless its 1V1 which in this days NHL almost never happens.

Point is we have to shed at least 1 more contract or in a trade we get 1 less back.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
That doesnt happen anymore. Its been said so many times. The scouts are too good. Late picks that hit are 2nd round normally no later. Not to say never say never but rare

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That doesnt happen anymore. Its been said so many times. The scouts are too good. Late picks that hit are 2nd round normally no later. Not to say never say never but rare

Someone did the number crunching once and it was determined that past mid 1st round your best bet is to trade for a D because you get the highest rate of landing a star player. Basically I came up with this formula but it comes with exceptions to the rule obviously.

Picks 1-15 = Generally take a C
Picks 16-31 = Take a C or a D
Picks 32-62 = Take a D
Picks 63-93 = Take a D or a G
FREE FOR ALL

Never take wingers in the first few rounds because the C can convert to wing generally speaking. Hunter last year took nothing but wingers for some stupid reason. We need C in our system or at least guys that could potentially become C.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Someone did the number crunching once and it was determined that past mid 1st round your best bet is to trade for a D because you get the highest rate of landing a star player. Basically I came up with this formula but it comes with exceptions to the rule obviously.

Picks 1-15 = Generally take a C
Picks 16-31 = Take a C or a D
Picks 32-62 = Take a D
Picks 63-93 = Take a D or a G
FREE FOR ALL

Never take wingers in the first few rounds because the C can convert to wing generally speaking. Hunter last year took nothing but wingers for some stupid reason. We need C in our system or at least guys that could potentially become C.
I think the leafs management know what they are doing ....year 2 of the rebuild isn't even done ...soshnikov wil be back in the KHL soon ..I he ll accept an AHL role again ...I mean kerby rychel arguably is better ,younger ,and he finally catching on to a system
jonnson is above sosh ,mason marchment is bigger and looks to be at least a solid marlie .we got plenty of late bloomers ,so u draft a college kid in 2019 .in 4 years hes another sosh

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I liked him although he was demonstrably fragile playing rough and tumble hockey. This is what happens when your organization has produced more young NHLers than it has spots to fill. Still wondering what happens in the fall when spots have come available. There could have been a spot waiting for Sosh or Leivo to grab.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow, surprised by lot of the reactions here.
1. We got Sosh for free since he was signed from the KHL, never wasted a pick on him but got a 4th
2. He seems awfully injury prone and I highly question his durability given his playing style
3. He’s a sure NHL player, but exremely little chance of cracking our lineup and a depth guy at best
4. We were in a roster crunch and actually managed to get something for him
5. We’re deep up the wazoo on the wings

I love Sosh and wish him well, but based on all the above, i’m not sure how anyone can suggest we lost this deal. I do think it’s good for St Louis as well from their perspective, but to suggest we lost, I highly disagree given the situation.

Sums is up nicely IMO.

Lou will probably flip that 4th rounder.
We could have gotten a 3rd at least. Why 4th ?
I don't get it.

It's a win for STL.

The simple answer is that you're wrong.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's not about trading Soshnikov for a pick that will replace him eventually.

He was traded for value back, instead of no value. That was his value. We needed to move out a body and it looks like he was the more expendable one for the return.

So no we gained an asset we can use at the draft or in a trade. 4th rounders aren't super valuable but they are used quite often in trades.

I'm not sure what people expected here. We had to move out someone or risk losing an asset on waivers.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

He was traded for value back, instead of no value. That was his value. We needed to move out a body and it looks like he was the more expendable one for the return.

So no we gained an asset we can use at the draft or in a trade. 4th rounders aren't super valuable but they are used quite often in trades.

I'm not sure what people expected here. We had to move out someone or risk losing an asset on waivers.

Yup, it's really not complicated. I always liked Soshnikov a lot and I think many of us did. I really hope he kicks ass with his new team, except when he plays against us of course.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the leafs management know what they are doing ....year 2 of the rebuild isn't even done ...soshnikov wil be back in the KHL soon ..I he ll accept an AHL role again ...I mean kerby rychel arguably is better ,younger ,and he finally catching on to a system
jonnson is above sosh ,mason marchment is bigger and looks to be at least a solid marlie .we got plenty of late bloomers ,so u draft a college kid in 2019 .in 4 years hes another sosh

I think they do as well but there have been times that I think they could have done things a little different. Ultimately I just hope to see a steady and stable progression with no setbacks, unless they come due to injuries or things out of our control. There are a lot of Soshnikov's out there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: This needed explaining?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3