Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wow, surprised by lot of the reactions here.
1. We got Sosh for free since he was signed from the KHL, never wasted a pick on him but got a 4th
2. He seems awfully injury prone and I highly question his durability given his playing style
3. He’s a sure NHL player, but exremely little chance of cracking our lineup and a depth guy at best
4. We were in a roster crunch and actually managed to get something for him
5. We’re deep up the wazoo on the wings

I love Sosh and wish him well, but based on all the above, i’m not sure how anyone can suggest we lost this deal. I do think it’s good for St Louis as well from their perspective, but to suggest we lost, I highly disagree given the situation.
We lost this deal because we got little back for an NHL player, albeit a 4th liner, who had good speed and a wicked shot.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
A 4th round is a decent return for a player who never really established a sample size in the NHL. Much like Leivo, the viewing was very limited. Getting a pick for a player you aren't keeping is good. We could have waived him but turned him into a 4th.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I agree completely except I really don't like the return , pretty sure we got a second for Polak twice didn't we ? or maybe that was Franson twice and Polak once but either way Sosh is a good young player that St Louis just stole for a song really .

What has he done to prove he has any value?

He's older then Connor Brown, it's not like he's 20 years old.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hyman is a RW. He's playing his offwing, hence his struggles offensively.

Leivo will never play a game for us again.

Johnson is only ready for eval. minutes.

Our depth is:

JvR (Who Babcock doesn't like)
Marleau (Who's basically a 30 point guy now)
Komarov (4th Liner)
Hyman can play all three forward positions and has served as a LW his entire NHL career. Leivo likely won't be traded considering management just moved Soshnikov and are rumoured to be shopping Martin; he's in their plans, hence Lamoriello denying the trade request. Komarov will walk, but I bet management wants JVR back.

I see the LW depth as (in order):

Proven
JVR: 6'4", 30-30 1st liner
Marleau: 25 goal top 9er
Hyman: only top 6er with size and grease, top 5 forechecker league wide
Leivo: untapped offensive potential, top 9er today with room to grow

Unproven
Korshkov: 162 pro KHL games, publicly said he is coming to Toronto in 2018/19
Grundstrom: Komarov replacement with better scoring touch, pro experience
Johnsson: best pure shooter not in the NHL

You could argue that all three of those unproven players are NHL ready today and will be competing for a spot out of camp next fall. Korshkov is more of a RW but can play LW. Typically you don't want to rely on prospects as they are question marks, but those 3 play pro, 200ft games. That's respectable depth to say the least.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Sosh :(

Glad we got a 4th, expecting a top 90 (well, 93) pick for him would have probably asking a bit much, so a 4th is fine.

Plus we fix our roster crunch and are down to 49 contracts.

Will be interesting to see if Leivo or Martin go next
I would retain on Martin and even send some sort of pick to offset more salary,,, all to help put some butter on Nylander's new deal. And then Mitch and Matt. Dead money in Martin.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I agree completely except I really don't like the return , pretty sure we got a second for Polak twice didn't we ? or maybe that was Franson twice and Polak once but either way Sosh is a good young player that St Louis just stole for a song really .
Sosh was a player who could not make our team and was walking away for nothing at the end of this year. He really had little trade value and I am surprise we got anything when he was likely going on waivers very soon and he would have been available for nothing. This is not to say that he is worthless but at this time his value was almost nothing.

Reactions: White Shadow

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Toronto fans love affair with the gritty plug continues. Nothing against the guy, but never saw the attraction. We got a 4th and a roster spot, I'm happy. Good luck to him.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
All valid points.

I don't fault Lou under the circumstances, but all things being equal, I'd still rather have Sosh on our depth chart as opposed to an extra 4th round pick.

I hear you, on that I agree, would have preferred he stayed vs a 4th, but unfortunately somebody had to go.

We lost this deal because we got little back for an NHL player, albeit a 4th liner, who had good speed and a wicked shot.

You feel that way because you’re looking at the trade in a vacuum, look at it in its entirety and I don’t see how one can say that.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ya I misspoke, I ment to say the options were to either demote Kap to the Marlies or trade/waive one of Leivo or Sosh.

I think since it was Sosh not Leivo that got traded it is good news for Leivo.
Yeah as long as he can learn a little patience, there should be a spot for him next year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

We lost at most one round for him because of the crunch. It's not a huge loss, considering we are not forced to do anything anymore and we have plenty of guys jumping over him anyways.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

He did quite well with Kadri. He only struggled when playing with plugs.

How many pts did he put up in those games?

He had a decent run in 2016 with Kadri that got everybody excited (myself included) in garbage time.

He did nothing with him last year, good corsi or not.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not much of a surprise. Boz next. Pittsburgh I think has a 2nd and is light on C. Tyler's game has really wilted as he sulks his way to the deadline, but the Kessel connection might make it work. Leivo will stay until at least the draft if not into next season. Koma is worth less on the market than he is to the Leafs so I am guessing he stays and maybe even resigns if he takes a haircut.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Not much of a surprise. Boz next. Pittsburgh I think has a 2nd and is light on C. Tyler's game has really wilted as he sulks his way to the deadline, but the Kessel connection might make it work. Leivo will stay until at least the draft if not into next season. Koma is worth less on the market than he is to the Leafs so I am guessing he stays and maybe even resigns if he takes a haircut.

Why would we trade him to Pittsburg? We need Bozak for the playoffs also.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Toronto fans love affair with the gritty plug continues. Nothing against the guy, but never saw the attraction. We got a 4th and a roster spot, I'm happy. Good luck to him.
Some people just feel the need to complain about everything no matter how insignificant.

Oh no a guy who would never make our team got traded for a 4rth, we gave up so much for him being a free agent and all....what are we going to do?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A 4th round is a decent return for a player who never really established a sample size in the NHL. Much like Leivo, the viewing was very limited. Getting a pick for a player you aren't keeping is good. We could have waived him but turned him into a 4th.

Nailed it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Leafs had to "do right by him", if the Leafs had supposedly hindered his progress to the NHL, it would make difficult for the Leafs to sign Russian or European UFAs in the future. The fact that the Leaf had so few injuries in the past two years on the wing position certainly hindered his opportunities to show what he could do in the NHL (not the Leafs or Sosh's fault).

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Hyman can play all three forward positions and has served as a LW his entire NHL career. Leivo likely won't be traded considering management just moved Soshnikov and are rumoured to be shopping Martin; he's in their plans, hence Lamoriello denying the trade request. Komarov will walk, but I bet management wants JVR back.

I see the LW depth as (in order):

Proven
JVR: 6'4", 30-30 1st liner
Marleau: 25 goal top 9er
Hyman: only top 6er with size and grease, top 5 forechecker league wide
Leivo: untapped offensive potential, top 9er today with room to grow

Unproven
Korshkov: 162 pro KHL games, publicly said he is coming to Toronto in 2018/19
Grundstrom: Komarov replacement with better scoring touch, pro experience
Johnsson: best pure shooter not in the NHL

You could argue that all three of those unproven players are NHL ready today and will be competing for a spot out of camp next fall. Korshkov is more of a RW but can play LW. Typically you don't want to rely on prospects as they are question marks, but those 3 play pro, 200ft games. That's respectable depth to say the least.

it's very very seldom that guys who have yet to play in the NHL are NHL ready though I sure hope you're right.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The Leafs had to "do right by him", if the Leafs had supposedly hindered his progress to the NHL, it would make difficult for the Leafs to sign Russian or European UFAs in the future. The fact that the Leaf had so few injuries in the past two years on the wing position certainly hindered his opportunities to show what he could do in the NHL (not the Leafs or Sosh's fault).

naw, in real life it's not that cut and dried / black and white.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why would we trade him to Pittsburg? We need Bozak for the playoffs also.
Need him for what though? He is a shadow of the player he was last year and working on his worst season since 2011. I cannot picture him contributing to a playoff run. At least JVR is still producing on the PP even with record low ice time. For what little TB is bringing right now I would give Marleau his spot and fill that gap with Leivo and Johnsson. He is on pace the worst gpg of his career. If they want to play own rental at least rent someone who is producing.

I forgot about Pickard. No reason to keep him around if there is a buyer because he isn't ahead of Sparks and they have McElhinney for another year. A club like the Flames might be interested if Mike Smith's groin doesn't resolve really soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00