Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
When they traded for Boyle a 2nd rounder was nothing. So this is.......

This is what happens though when you don't trade UFA's - now if they all walk, there's one less potential fill-in

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
IF they move him now I doubt they want a contract coming back, unless of course they package him with another.
IMO, a 2nd is over optimistic. I'd imagine he'd bring back a 3rd at best, more likely a 4th.
I think that's what Walshy was saying.
Who knows what lou can do

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When they traded for Boyle a 2nd rounder was nothing. So this is.......

This is what happens though when you don't trade UFA's - now if they all walk, there's one less potential fill-in
:laugh: What?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leivo is better than sosh so if I cant see it being less than a 3rd. Or perhaps a 4th and a 6th or some combination like that I suppose is possible too

both 24 yrs old. Leivo has a pace of 32 points per 82 games, while sosh is a 14 point pace per 82. Leivo is worth more. He has that upside a team could justify giving a 3rd for and extended run in a team he probably scores quite a few points for your

edit: haha quoted myself when I meant to edit the original

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Why would you not just wait the Leafs out then, knowing eventually they had to waive him?

Because there are 20 other teams in front of Blues in waiver line to pick him up before them. Order of picking from waivers is determined by current point percentages in reverse order (worst teams have priority over good teams). Soch is quality piece with great shot, good skating and somewhat excessive aggressiveness of play for his size, but for short period of time he will be good until injuries start to affect his play. Ari, Buf, Oil or Van can sure use him in their somewhat dept lacking lineups.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Because there are 20 other teams in front of Blues in waiver line to pick him up before them. Order of picking from waivers is determined by current point percentages in reverse order (worst teams have priority over good teams). Soch is quality piece with great shot, good skating and somewhat excessive aggressiveness of play for his size, but for short period of time he will be good until injuries start to affect his play. Ari, Buf, Oil or Van can sure use him in their somewhat dept lacking lineups.

That was my point though, St Louis paid a price knowing he wouldn't fall to them on waivers while the lower teams held out hoping they would get him for free. It's a game of chicken really

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Care to explain why? I see Brown as a much more complete player.

Sosh is more physical, plays with more energy and is a better skater. (PERFECT for the playoffs) He has a better shot release than Brown too and is more skilled IMO. I think if he was given a solid chance in a top 6 role like Brown has had he would perform better than Brown did.

The worry, like other people have mentioned, is whether he can stay healthy. With the Leafs forward depth that is a risk I am willing to take.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Sosh is more physical, plays with more energy and is a better skater. (PERFECT for the playoffs) He has a better shot release than Brown too and is more skilled IMO. I think if he was given a solid chance in a top 6 role like Brown has had he would perform better than Brown did.

The worry, like other people have mentioned, is whether he can stay healthy. With the Leafs forward depth that is a risk I am willing to take.

I can understand your perspective, but the bolded is where I disagree. "Energy" is subjective, and I see Brown as a 110% on every shift type of player. Sosh throws his weight around a bit more, but that doesn't necessarily translate to much other than wasted energy in my opinion.

He's a buck-85, he needs to either beef up or chill out before he brains himself, again. Either way, I wish him well in St. Louis.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I can understand your perspective, but the bolded is where I disagree. "Energy" is subjective, and I see Brown as a 110% on every shift type of player. Sosh throws his weight around a bit more, but that doesn't necessarily translate to much other than wasted energy in my opinion.

He's a buck-85, he needs to either beef up or chill out before he brains himself, again. Either way, I wish him well in St. Louis.

I guess I define work ethic and energy differently. When Brown is out there I just don't feel he is making a mark. Nobody on the other team is taking notice of him. He just works hard and is kinda in the way.
When Sosh is out there the other team is noticing him. Oppenents might be rushing plays with the puck to avoid getting hit or are more on their heals when he has the puck.
Sosh is just my preference and what I feel is much more effective in the playoffs.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
:help:So any one think that one of the goalies on the Marlies might be gone for a Pick.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I guess I define work ethic and energy differently. When Brown is out there I just don't feel he is making a mark. Nobody on the other team is taking notice of him. He just works hard and is kinda in the way.
When Sosh is out there the other team is noticing him. Oppenents might be rushing plays with the puck to avoid getting hit or are more on their heals when he has the puck.
Sosh is just my preference and what I feel is much more effective in the playoffs.

I can understand this. He's a very average player. I think the reason he's more highly valued by management; at least you know exactly what you're getting out of him every game. Sosh has upswings and downswings, which I feel isn't necessarily something you want out of a bottom 6 player.

I am gonna miss that shot and his cellys though.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“We see him as a really good skating, high-energy player, a good complementary player that Mike (Yeo) will find a spot for somewhere in the lineup. We’re just looking to get him comfortable in our group now.”

“It wasn’t a grand plan to get this player (because) he fits in perfectly with one or two players, we just wanted to get another good player into our group of 12.”

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Sosh's size, his game and his injuries played a role. Not to mention we have too many wingers. What if management sees Johnsson in the lineup next year? Between Leivo and Sosh. and one had to go.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

TORONTO -- Nikita Soshnikov admitted the past two seasons have been difficult for him, dealing with two significant injuries while sliding down the depth chart with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

After being traded to the St. Louis Blues on Thursday, the 24-year-old forward is excited for a new opportunity.

"When I was hurt again recently, I was saying to myself, 'I've played only three NHL games in the last year,'" Soshnikov said Friday. "It's really hard, and you start getting nervous and getting [angry], but there's nothing you can do about it but keep grinding every day and things will go your way. Right now, it's time to prove something."

The Maple Leafs received a fourth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft in the trade.

"I'm really, really excited. It's a really good organization, it's really classy," Soshnikov said of the Blues. "People called and texted me right away and said they're really happy to have me on board. I'm going to do everything I can for the team."

Soshnikov, who has not played in the NHL since Nov. 24, was on injured reserve with a groin injury he said was initially misdiagnosed. He said it was bothering him prior to playing three games with the Maple Leafs and that he tried to play through it before it got worse.

"It took some time because of that. That's why I was [out] so long," Soshnikov said. "The injury was pretty serious, and especially [a] groin in hockey, it's hard to recover from, but now it's all good."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->