Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Thin on LW?

Hyman
JVR
Marleau
Komarov
Leivo
Johnson (who should be in the NHL right now)

We’re deep everywhere but at C

Hyman is a RW. He's playing his offwing, hence his struggles offensively.

Leivo will never play a game for us again.

Johnson is only ready for eval. minutes.

Our depth is:

JvR (Who Babcock doesn't like)
Marleau (Who's basically a 30 point guy now)
Komarov (4th Liner)

Reactions: Canadian Finn

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Thin on LW?

Hyman
JVR
Marleau
Komarov
Leivo

And we are not even shallow on talent at C if the Leafs would just use Nylander there. More just lacking bodies then, because after this year (when Bozak and Moore leave) you'd have Matthews-Kadri-Nylander-Aaltonen/Gauthier-Brooks as your current center depth with only Joshua and possibly Kara and McGregor as the only other centers in the group.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kap or Dermott? This place would implode. :laugh:

It wouldn't go down well but we've got options now if we want to take on a body for a pick

I'd waive Martin and send him down if we're not going to play him but that's just me

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thin on LW?

Hyman
JVR
Marleau
Komarov
Leivo

Hyman is only signed for 3yrs.
JVR gone most likely
Marleau 2yrs then gone
Komarov gone most likely
Leivo gone most likely
Johnsson, undersized and unproven

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Would have liked a 3rd. Guy has offensive upside; can skate and can PK. Don't find players like that in the 4th round.

I am getting scared everyday that passes that this management is going to do something STUPID and trade futures
They already started selling the future when they did the Boyle trade. The cupboards are gonna get empty.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hyman is a RW. He's playing his offwing, hence his struggles offensively.

Leivo will never play a game for us again.

Johnson is only ready for eval. minutes.

Our depth is:

JvR (Who Babcock doesn't like)
Marleau (Who's basically a 30 point guy now)
Komarov (4th Liner)

1) He's played LW ever since he's been in the Leafs organization. If he couldn't handle it, the Leafs would have put him on the other side by now. He plays all 3 forward positions, or at least has at some point.
2) He's doing about as well, if not better than, expected offensively for someone of his caliber.
3) If Leivo wasn't going to play a game for the Leafs, Soshnikov definitely wasn't either. Also how is a 4th liner who is worse than Komarov going to do to fix our LW depth that a top 9 quality forward in Leivo can not fix?
4) Marleau already has more than 30 points this year and he's still got another like 20 games to play. This while on a more shutdown line than he's used to.
5) Johnsson can handle as much as Kapanen's getting right now, and in fact you could add a few more Marlies to that list where you could say the same thing. Also Matt Martin is still there as well, who can be a strong 4th liner in the NHL.

Therefore, I think the Leafs' LW depth is perfectly fine without a guy who was never going to play for this team anyways. The Leafs can find a bunch of guys, and are developing a bunch of guys, just like him as we speak.

Reactions: Barilko14

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hyman is only signed for 3yrs.
JVR gone most likely
Marleau 2yrs then gone
Komarov gone most likely
Leivo gone most likely
Johnsson, undersized and unproven

If JvR, Leivo and Komarov (and Martin) are all gone next year, then the Leafs probably need to add one or two LW's. Does not mean they had to be Soshnikov. Could easily use Johnsson over him next year. Maybe the Leafs actually use Leivo, like they should right now.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Also means Leivo is part of the plan moving forward. Leafs had to either wave Kap (that didn't seem like it was going to happen) or trade Leivo or Sosh else they would lose them for free.
You said 2 incorrect things there

1. Kap can go down without waivers
2. This is no kind of guarantee for Leivo

Reactions: Clark4Ever

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Well we signed him for nothing, so the 4th rounder is only gravey. Even if he does turn out to be a gem for St. Louis, I doubt he would ever had the chance to do that here. Way too much depth on the wings ahead of him.

Also Leafs don't lose a lot of trades, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Except when they do, they lose them in glorious fashion.

Rask for Raycroft
Cola and Steen for Stempniak
Trading up for truculent Biggs
Trading for Kurvers
Trading for Kessel

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Except when they do, they lose them in glorious fashion.

Rask for Raycroft
Cola and Steen for Stempniak
Trading up for truculent Biggs
Trading for Kurvers
Trading for Kessel
I wasn't very clear, but I was talking about this management group.

Leafs history of trading hasn't been good for sure.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I wasn't very clear, but I was talking about this management group.

Leafs history of trading hasn't been good for sure.

You’re right but some teams in general just have bad history on some things, regardless of the era.

For the record I think this is a fine trade. Who knows, that fourth could end up being a Jamie Benn. Plenty more where Sosh came from.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's about what I thought he'd get. Decent player. Couple years back I thought he had more upside than Hyman, was likely wrong on that but the injuries didn't help. Hyman was also given much more of a chance. Just didn't have a spot here anymore, it wasn't going to be realistic to hold him on IR until the deadline. So I pretty much wanted him traded barring something like Martin on waivers(or JVR traded but that's another topic altogether). Sosh is more suited to a bottom line role than Leivo, but I'm more of the theory that you sxhould run 4 lines that can score if you can. If we can have 4 PKers in the lineup then I'm fine running Leivo in a 4th line scoring/PK role eventually if it goes that route. Would like that more than Sosh in a 4th line grinder, 5th PKer role.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Would have loved to get Barbashev or Jaskin from St Lou, both are incredibky skilled players but underperforming in St Louis but this was more about clearing a roster spot than getting a player fir player deal.

Wonder if Lous NJ connection with St Lou management did Lou a favor by taking Sosh off our hands to open up a roster spot?

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Too bad. I thought Soshnikov would be a decent Komarov replacement next year. But the Leafs have plenty of winger depth. Just a numbers thing. Hope he gets some ice time in St. Louis.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Wow, surprised by lot of the reactions here.
1. We got Sosh for free since he was signed from the KHL, never wasted a pick on him but got a 4th
2. He seems awfully injury prone and I highly question his durability given his playing style
3. He’s a sure NHL player, but exremely little chance of cracking our lineup and a depth guy at best
4. We were in a roster crunch and actually managed to get something for him
5. We’re deep up the wazoo on the wings

I love Sosh and wish him well, but based on all the above, i’m not sure how anyone can suggest we lost this deal. I do think it’s good for St Louis as well from their perspective, but to suggest we lost, I highly disagree given the situation.

Reactions: White Shadow

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You said 2 incorrect things there

1. Kap can go down without waivers
2. This is no kind of guarantee for Leivo
Ya I misspoke, I ment to say the options were to either demote Kap to the Marlies or trade/waive one of Leivo or Sosh.

I think since it was Sosh not Leivo that got traded it is good news for Leivo.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Could have waived Martin or even traded him. Also could have moved Komarov. I think Sosh can be a good player with good linemates. We'll have to see I guess.

He did nothing with his chances with Kadri last year.

What has he actually done to deserve top 9 minutes?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Meanwhile Leivo says -- I ask to be played, and you play Kapanen. I ask to be traded, you trade Sosh. Leivo is like a gimp the Leafs keep locked up in their basement for their own amusement..

Reactions: glue

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Wow, surprised by lot of the reactions here.
1. We got Sosh for free since he was signed from the KHL, never wasted a pick on him but got a 4th
2. He seems awfully injury prone and I highly question his durability given his playing style
3. He’s a sure NHL player, but exremely little chance of cracking our lineup and a depth guy at best
4. We were in a roster crunch and actually managed to get something for him
5. We’re deep up the wazoo on the wings

I love Sosh and wish him well, but based on all the above, i’m not sure how anyone can suggest we lost this deal. I do think it’s good for St Louis as well from their perspective, but to suggest we lost, I highly disagree given the situation.

All valid points.

I don't fault Lou under the circumstances, but all things being equal, I'd still rather have Sosh on our depth chart as opposed to an extra 4th round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad