Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This should be a big confidence boost for Kapanen. Lou could've sent him down for nothing and held onto some more depth and an intriguing young player. Now he knows unequivocally (as he should) that he's an NHLer.
Hope Sosh does well in St. Louis.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Could have waived Martin or even traded him. Also could have moved Komarov. I think Sosh can be a good player with good linemates. We'll have to see I guess.
Komo is a player who is needed right now and Soch was not. We needed to make space to keep Kappy in the lineup and prepare for the playoffs. We moved the least valued player at this time and I am fine no matter the outcome

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
The difference between a 3rd and 4th is actually pretty significant: A player picked in the 3rd round has about a 25% (or 1 in 4) chance of turning into an NHL player. The odds in the 4th round drop to about ~15% and then down to ~12% for rounds 5-7. In other words, after the top 90 or 100 players are picked, there's a significant drop-off in talent. That's why a 3rd would have been nice. Mind you, it would have also been a pleasant surprise. I don't think expecting a 3rd for a player like Soshnikov was realistic.

Ultimately, I think this is a good buy for St. Louis. Soshnikov has the toolbox to be a quality 2nd or 3rd liner in this league: The skating, the shot, the willingness to engage physically is all there. The only question marks are his hockey IQ and whether his body can withstand the rigors of an NHL season. So far, the answer has been no. At worst, they've got a decent 4th liner who can kill penalties. All for a pick unlikely to turn into anything.

From the Leafs perspective, Lou and co. got what they could get, but I feel as if they sort of backed themselves into this corner. They built up quite the stable of young, NHL ready forwards but have a coach who has a strong preference for the veteran and refused to move on from players like Leo Komarov. Not what I'd consider to be strong asset management. Fortunately... they also seem to be good at finding these guys. Sosh, of course, was a free wallet in the first place. Here's hoping the contract spot gives us some flexibility moving forward and that pick actually gets used on someone talented, not another hulking defenseman with questionable skating.
Oh gosh, I was completely out of line for making such a ludicrous muse that I thought the Leafs may have gotten a third for Soshnikov. Great shame felt, will try to do better.

Reactions: Gallagbi and Jozay

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I really liked his game. If it weren't for his injury history would habe preferred to keep him over Leivo.

Now from the trade perspective. A 4th ours more than I thought we would receive.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leivo must be out of his mind...he asks for the trade and Sosh is the one that gets dealt.
Also means Leivo is part of the plan moving forward. Leafs had to either wave Kap (that didn't seem like it was going to happen) or trade Leivo or Sosh else they would lose them for free.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Komo is a player who is needed right now and Soch was not. We needed to make space to keep Kappy in the lineup and prepare for the playoffs. We moved the least valued player at this time and I am fine no matter the outcome
I agree completely except I really don't like the return , pretty sure we got a second for Polak twice didn't we ? or maybe that was Franson twice and Polak once but either way Sosh is a good young player that St Louis just stole for a song really .

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Solid return. Nothing special but we paid nothing to get him, and he did not have a spot with the team going forward. Down to 49 contracts too, so quite possible the Leafs find another Soshnikov.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really thought he'd be the one replacing Komarov
Maybe Grundstrom is further along than they thought. Not sure but I was never Sosh biggest fan. Had some had tunnel vision once he made it into the offensive zone from what I saw

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So now we've cleared a contract spot, have 5.4M in cap space and plenty of picks the next two seasons including 2 2nd's this year and the Marlies are stocked with some guys that are close

Looks like we're about go shopping

Still no room on the 23 man roster at the moment.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Would have liked a 3rd. Guy has offensive upside; can skate and can PK. Don't find players like that in the 4th round.

I am getting scared everyday that passes that this management is going to do something STUPID and trade futures

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Would have liked a 3rd. Guy has offensive upside; can skate and can PK. Don't find players like that in the 4th round.

I am getting scared everyday that passes that this management is going to do something STUPID and trade futures

You and me both. Believe me I feel like the shadowy figures behind the scenes see the $$$ and are going to do some serious rush moves. Just have to wait and see though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thin on LW, trade a young LWer.

Let's see if this shows inept management as it appears or Soshi amounts to nothing.

It'll be pretty obvious if Leivo is also traded. That'd be our second LW leaving only Johnsson.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Thin on LW, trade a young LWer.

Let's see if this shows inept management as it appears or Soshi amounts to nothing.

Thin on LW?

Hyman
JVR
Marleau
Komarov
Leivo
Johnson (who should be in the NHL right now)

We’re deep everywhere but at C

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You and me both. Believe me I feel like the shadowy figures behind the scenes see the $$$ and are going to do some serious rush moves. Just have to wait and see though.

Finally after so many years we have something good

• 1C - Matthews
  • Top6 C - Nylander, Kadri,
  • Top6 wingers - Marner; Kappy, Brown, Marleau, Leivo (?),
  • Top4 Ds - Rielly, Gards, Dermott (Liljegren in the waiting)
  • Top Goalie - Freddie
I really hope this management doesn't gamble future for now.

:crossfing

I am really scared

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad