Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Good points. The Soo were already a highly offensive team. It's the lack of grit they should have addressed at the deadline. Sherwood and Smith were monster playoff players for the Rangers.

Imagine that Soo team with those two instead of Raddysh?

Raddysh was an accomplished veteran acquired to shore up a weak right side.

He did that.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
There are enough variables to make one tap the brakes on hard roster predictions.

It is not a certainty that Bannister returns, either.

HoundsfaninSudbury

May 14, 2018
Hounds had a fun year, you never know with the ohl year to year, the three Greyhound teams that made the memorial cup had a lot of change over those years, 1st championship team lost Adam Foote bob boughner and another solid d man Brad tiley, I think they’ll be in contention next year with the experience this years players had.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
The Soo were also lucky to get past OS. If the Attack would have had decent goaltending, the Soo may not have gotten past the second round.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the goaltending #'s were pretty even in that series, if not in OS's favour. I don't know if there's anywhere that has the stats for just that series.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Next season who do you think are the teams that will go for it just asking because I know trade deadline frost and two more players will be gone

The west is weird next year.

Everyone knew around this time last year that the Soo was going to be legit, Kitchener was going to be good. Owen Sound was going to be good. But looking at rosters next year. It's pretty wide open.

If OS gets Durzi, Bourque back then they might be the team (Trades pending)

London looks good but they wont sell off for a run.

Guelph really didn't prove much this year, Kitchener, Soo, Sarnia all take steps back. Saginaw could be okay. Flint is likely a bottom feeder again. Erie still looks like they may have a tough year.

If Soo returns everyone that they realistically should get back, I'd wait until the dead line just too see what happens. You can get your picks back but could very well be near the top of the west again next season.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
My friends and i have always said you can't tell who or what your team is until AFTER the trade deadline! Too many factors with who's in or not with NHL/AHL or Euro leagues for these kids to play at....not too mention NCAA players who decommit to their school teams midway thru the season.

The year Dubas traded for Jack Campbell the Hounds were winning early in the season, against teams who didn't have all their players back from the NHL yet. Once all the other teams got their rosters set it was a different game.

I also personally hate the schedule and would love to drop some games against Sudbury, North Bay and teams in our division for more games against the MidWest division AND the Eastern Conference? I know that will never happen but it would be nice to see these other teams more than once a year!

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
Bannister said at least three other players were playing through injuries in the game that would likely have kept them out of games in the regular season? I dont know but they all looked good to me

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kitchener was lucky the series went seven.

If the Sault had got better goaltending, it might have been over in 5.

Playing the if game? Goes both ways.

The Soo is just as lucky to go 2-0 in the first two games of the series versus Kitchener. If not for the Rangers' self-inflicted gunshot wound that was the last 4.3 seconds in game one, and the league assisted disallowed goal that would've put the Rangers up 2-0 in game two, Kitchener may very well have left the Soo with the split after the first two games and finished off the series in six.

But as you said, no point talking about that kind of stuff now!! Goes both ways!!

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
My friends and i have always said you can't tell who or what your team is until AFTER the trade deadline! Too many factors with who's in or not with NHL/AHL or Euro leagues for these kids to play at....not too mention NCAA players who decommit to their school teams midway thru the season.

The year Dubas traded for Jack Campbell the Hounds were winning early in the season, against teams who didn't have all their players back from the NHL yet. Once all the other teams got their rosters set it was a different game.

I also personally hate the schedule and would love to drop some games against Sudbury, North Bay and teams in our division for more games against the MidWest division AND the Eastern Conference? I know that will never happen but it would be nice to see these other teams more than once a year!

When we got the franchise in '72, everybody played everybody, six times, three home, three away. Was great.

The imbalanced sked and Sunday afternoon games (with no Sunday nights) are a couple of reasons why I'm not a season ticket holder.

Sunday night hockey was all good in my book.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
The Soo is just as lucky to go 2-0 in the first two games of the series versus Kitchener. If not for the Rangers' self-inflicted gunshot wound that was the last 4.3 seconds in game one, and the league assisted disallowed goal that would've put the Rangers up 2-0 in game two, Kitchener may very well have left the Soo with the split after the first two games and finished off the series in six.

But as you said, no point talking about that kind of stuff now!! Goes both ways!!

Self-inflicted wounds have little to do with luck.

It was just meant to be. ;)

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Perhaps, perhaps not. At the end of the day though, both our teams are watching from the sidelines! It's just that our wounds are not as fresh.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Bannister said at least three other players were playing through injuries in the game that would likely have kept them out of games in the regular season? I dont know but they all looked good to me

It's possible...

Biggest loss was clearly not having Verbeek for the entire series.

Hard worker, defensively responsible, fast, experienced and productive. Spark plug.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
current imbalance in quality of opponents hurts. Nothing you can do about that and it will change but it makes for misleading reg season stats

Might have been better served with the traded goalie on this team.

Please explain? Down one elimination game in finals. Pull goalie and do it early, maybe earlier than 2 min mark. Makes sense. However not until you have clear possession of the puck. Goalie was pulled on o zone face off. that is a 50 50 puck at best. Hamilton gets puck and scores on empty net. What is most puzzling then down by 2, less time left, faceoff at center and put goalie in? if you are going to pull the goalie, might as well leave him out now that down 2. Shouldn't you wait til you have possession on the first pull, and might as well leave him out down 2? No one cares what you lose by except the stats guys. Just trying to understand the logic.

Would have pulled earlier with possession and maybe never go down by 2. Even if I did might as well leave him out. Early and with possession is my understanding.

Still good entertaining effort. Team just looked tied out from much more difficult playoffs. Thomas carried Hamilton

Reactions: EvenSteven

Coach7940

Dec 12, 2017
Two lines was all there was to play with.

I disagree. I was at game 6, and he was playing a steady dose of three lines. That is what should have been going on for the whole series. They outplayed Hamilton yesterday. When a fourth line player scores the first goal, and the line is dominating in the offensive zone it says something.

To be honest, if they were to make one trade next year, in my eyes it is Frost. He alone could return all of the picks if he produces like he did this year up to the trade deadline. Hayton is a beast, and Joe Carrol could easily be a second line centre next year.. I also think our goaltender may get shipped out at the deadline as well. If there is one untouchable it is Hayton. Every game I have watched he is one of the top two players on the team along with Boris. I could see both Sambrook and Holowell back next year as overagers, to go along with Laguerrier and Demeo in the top 4. They also have Holden Wale, and the 1st round draft pick from this year who looks very strong. Gettinger may be a long shot OA as well next season. He did not get enough ice time in the playoffs in my eyes.

Reactions: PuckLife

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
In my eyes, Gettinger did NOT deserve more ice time. He is very soft and is a floater out there. He will have a difficult time securing a spot in the American Hockey League. As Mark Matier said on Cable 10, Gettinger needed to get more engaged and play a more physical game. Even last year in the playoffs, Gettinger disappeared. Only if Gettinger had the intensity and heart of B. Hayton!

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
In my eyes, Gettinger did NOT deserve more ice time. He is very soft and is a floater out there. He will have a difficult time securing a spot in the American Hockey League. As Mark Matier said on Cable 10, Gettinger needed to get more engaged and play a more physical game. Even last year in the playoffs, Gettinger disappeared. Only if Gettinger had the intensity and heart of B. Hayton!
Gettinger is nothing without Verbeek he does all the lifting and Gettinger gets all the goals

Reactions: hockieguy

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

It is difficult to comprehend lack of intensity.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's possible...

Biggest loss was clearly not having Verbeek for the entire series.

Hard worker, defensively responsible, fast, experienced and productive. Spark plug.

I think more than likely probable. I'm sure every team has guys playing hurt the deeper you go in the post season.

I've been saying that I thought there was something amiss with Katchouk in the Ranger series based on his inept shooting on the pass across and the fact I see him every game at the Aud off ice not walking very good at all. Definitely nursing something IMO.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Hayton isn't 100% healthy. The kid took a lot of punishment vs the Rangers but still kept coming. He'll be a treat to watch by the time he's in his last year in this league.

If only Frost had his heart and willingness to pay the price going in the dirty areas. I think this post season exposed guys like Frost and Kyrou. Great regular season players but not so dominant in the post season where the games get much more physical and the whistles get put away.

As far as your Verbeek point goes, it would've been nice for us to play you guys both rosters totally healthy. You'd have Verbeek in your lineup, and we'd have had Hall and McEneny in.

I still am amazed we took you guys to seven games with two of our top four D out, a 16 year old with 24 reg season OHL games under his belt on our top pairing and an undersized forward switched back to the D to start the series.

The thing that is not lost on me is that as an OA, it sucks that Verbeek finishes his OHL career on the injury list. Sucks for him and sucks for the fans who are deprived of seeing him play out his career. We've had guys graduate that way in the past and it doesn't seem fair for some reason. But what can you do?

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
current imbalance in quality of opponents hurts. Nothing you can do about that and it will change but it makes for misleading reg season stats

Might have been better served with the traded goalie on this team.

Please explain? Down one elimination game in finals. Pull goalie and do it early, maybe earlier than 2 min mark. Makes sense. However not until you have clear possession of the puck. Goalie was pulled on o zone face off. that is a 50 50 puck at best. Hamilton gets puck and scores on empty net. What is most puzzling then down by 2, less time left, faceoff at center and put goalie in? if you are going to pull the goalie, might as well leave him out now that down 2. Shouldn't you wait til you have possession on the first pull, and might as well leave him out down 2? No one cares what you lose by except the stats guys. Just trying to understand the logic.

Would have pulled earlier with possession and maybe never go down by 2. Even if I did might as well leave him out. Early and with possession is my understanding.

Still good entertaining effort. Team just looked tied out from much more difficult playoffs. Thomas carried Hamilton

Drives me nuts. McKee in Kitchener did the same thing this year. IMO, I don't see the need to pull the goalie until you have possession. Have him stand at the hash marks and if you win the faceoff, he bolts to the bench. You can do without that sixth attacker for the time it takes to get him out there.

Reactions: soo hound girl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad