Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The Hockey fan in me was happy to see Hamilton come back and win after Boris shushed the crowd.

Now, him doing that didn't warrant getting called out on national TV.

Cherry should have let it die. Why bring it up well after the fact.

Most people don't know but I spent time working with his Midget team in Waterloo. I got to know Boris on a personal level. He was a nice kid and my opinion of him hasn't changed. He plays with emotion. This has been a huge year for him so I don't blame him for showing a little "Swagger"

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Personally, I am a superstitious sort. So I do believe in karma from time to time. However I'm not really so sure that this can be considered karma coming back to bite the Soo.

Had they lost in the second round to Owen Sound then I may point to karma. But the Soo not winning the championship was simply a product of their having to go through two very tough, physical series versus Owen Sound and then Kitchener. By the time they got to the final, being battered and bruised and worn down, they were simply no match for Hamilton who had a much easier road to the finals.

As a Ranger fan, all I asked for going into a series versus the Soo, was that we had at least the same rest as them going in. That happened and it turned out to be a very good series. I wonder how the finals would've turned out had Hamilton just as tough a road to the finals as the Soo did.

Cherry had a choice. The Soo could have been used as a prime example of the importance of winning playoff series in short order and getting decent rest, a la Vegas.

Not to mention the loss of Hayden Verbeek for the entire series; a good story as he just signed with Montreal.

Took a pass, went another route.

Had the Sault lost to Owen Sound, I would have thought "they've got our number" as they beat us out in 2017.

I think Owen Sound was the best team the Soo played in the playoffs. Kitchener almost as tough.

Week of rest before Hamilton? I like the Hounds' chances, a lot, especially if their sparkplug, Verbeek, is in the lineup.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Chopchop

Oct 15, 2017
Hotdog Cherry_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

• Hotdog Cherry_edited-1.jpg
    Hotdog Cherry_edited-1.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: soo hound girl

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Hick Leafs Fan. Cherry should have just dropped it after the Hounds lost. The place was packed, the fans were screaming, the 2-0 goal was huge, the crowd went silent, and these are young men. Sometimes emotions simply get the best of us all. Nothing needed to be either said by Cherry nor did they need to show video clip. The only somewhat relevant comment would be that everyone agrees with both attitude and behavior, on and off the ice, starts in the locker room. My final comment about this past season, the Hounds are at home right now watching the Memorial Cup because they lost the first two of three games against Owen Sound. They just played differently during the playoffs, almost seemed like trying to play a physical dump and chase game. From the Hounds? The first loss to OS at home was a killer and losing two of the first three set up playing a seven-game series. They needed a five-game series in the second round just like Hamilton. The Hounds became worn out, the number of games and travel began to be a problem, and injuries happened. No chance round three is a seven-game series if the Hounds were rested before playing Kitchener and did not try to match the Rangers style of physical play. Multiple posts were about the lack of effort or the will to win, but I believe Hounds were just dead tired and many players were dealing with minor injuries. No doubt game seven in both the second and third round were incredible at Essar. Packed, loudest ever, great time, but as a Hounds fan, I'm disappointed. Needed a shot at the Cup! 25 years and a great ending to a record season.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Great post. I agree with most of what you said.

Travel was important, and the hours on the bus was a grind. I'm disappointed that the team didn't fly more. but Kitchener and Hamilton were fresher than us and they both flew more. After game 4 in Hamilton, the Hounds bussed all the way to Sudbury, while Hamilton flew. Bad choice by Hounds management.

I agree that many players were warn down, but some seemed to fight through it better than others. I fell in love with the kids that gave it their all, and started to hate the kids that didn't. Playoffs separate the men from the boys (though in this case the men responded like boys, and some of the boys responded like men)

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Great post. I agree with most of what you said.

Travel was important, and the hours on the bus was a grind. I'm disappointed that the team didn't fly more. but Kitchener and Hamilton were fresher than us and they both flew more. After game 4 in Hamilton, the Hounds bussed all the way to Sudbury, while Hamilton flew. Bad choice by Hounds management.

I agree that many players were warn down, but some seemed to fight through it better than others. I fell in love with the kids that gave it their all, and started to hate the kids that didn't. Playoffs separate the men from the boys (though in this case the men responded like boys, and some of the boys responded like men)

The worn-down rationale is a perfect fit for the Hamilton series. It doesn't hold up/explain the play vs. Owen Sound, and to some degree, Kitchener.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
The worn-down rationale is a perfect fit for the Hamilton series. It doesn't hold up/explain the play vs. Owen Sound, and to some degree, Kitchener.
Good point. Owen Sound, in my opinion was the best team we faced - they were both skilled and physical. I think the Kitchener series is where we saw a drop off in the performance of the big 3. We were significantly more skilled than Kitchener, but their physical play impeded our top guys. I think we should have finished Kitchener off in 5 or at least 6.

To be honest, I think it's part worn-down, part lack of character to battle through the pain and fatigue. Sandin, Hollowel and Hayton were as man-handled as anyone on the team, but kept bringing it every night.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Good point. Owen Sound, in my opinion was the best team we faced - they were both skilled and physical. I think the Kitchener series is where we saw a drop off in the performance of the big 3. We were significantly more skilled than Kitchener, but their physical play impeded our top guys. I think we should have finished Kitchener off in 5 or at least 6.

To be honest, I think it's part worn-down, part lack of character to battle through the pain and fatigue. Sandin, Hollowel and Hayton were as man-handled as anyone on the team, but kept bringing it every night.

Need more size. All MC reps are larger teams.

Tough to get the plum players - size and skill - where we tend to draft, so it would have to be acquired.

We're a puck possession team and lacked jump to get to 50/50 pucks first (against Hamilton) and in earlier series, we'd often get there first, but lose the puck battle or turn it right over.

Smaller teams are going to wear down faster.

I don't want to knock a great winter of hockey because that's exactly what the team provided.

To win the Memorial Cup, though, I'm convinced the team should be bigger across the board, understanding there are challenges to get there.

Didn't help that we played the Final with one OA player, either.

Agree on the Attack, btw!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The guys who come up with the newspaper headlines will have a field day.

When the Hounds are struggling we'll hear about the bad odour around the team etc etc.

When the Hounds are doing well we'll hear about how they "took out the garbage" etc etc.

Should be fun.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Need more size. All MC reps are larger teams.

Tough to get the plum players - size and skill - where we tend to draft, so it would have to be acquired.

We're a puck possession team and lacked jump to get to 50/50 pucks first (against Hamilton) and in earlier series, we'd often get there first, but lose the puck battle or turn it right over.

Smaller teams are going to wear down faster.

I don't want to knock a great winter of hockey because that's exactly what the team provided.

To win the Memorial Cup, though, I'm convinced the team should be bigger across the board, understanding there are challenges to get there.

Didn't help that we played the Final with one OA player, either.

Agree on the Attack, btw!

I have yet to see a team at the Memorial Cup with a Jacob Friend type dman.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Jacob Friend was a blast from the past. That guy you make sure you are aware is on the ice. Big time.

Skate down his wing at your peril.

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Don't worry Greyhounds, you were exhausted . I would have been happy with the OHL title.You had a good team. Memcup has turned into a fashion show. 2 years in a row. Host team wins.Both won 0 playoff rounds. Well rested, watch game film. Make adjustments. It's good for the game.

Northey

Mar 10, 2018
Don't worry Greyhounds, you were exhausted . I would have been happy with the OHL title.You had a good team. Memcup has turned into a fashion show. 2 years in a row. Host team wins.Both won 0 playoff rounds. Well rested, watch game film. Make adjustments. It's good for the game.
???? Host team did not win 2 years in a row.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Elliotte Friedman reporting that Bannister will be taking over as coach in AHL San Antonio (St. Louis Blues' AHL team).

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Last i checked Regina lost.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Congrat's to Drew and also the Greyhound organization. He put up some very good "win/loss" records in his years coaching in the Sault.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Wouldn't you think you'd check and make sure the host actually won (they did not win) before making a post like this.....? :huh:

Reactions: Hammer9001

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
still early but who are possible replacements :
here is a short list but don't expect someone named until nhl draft ; import draft is concluded. Raftis in discussion with Dubas will surely find
a good replacement. Someone we won't even know about but in the mean time he are some names which will be speculated but I don't expect any
of these guys to be named head coach :
Joe Cirella; Ryan Ward; Jordan Smith; John Porco; Bob Jones; David Matsos; Vince Laise;

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
still early but who are possible replacements :
here is a short list but don't expect someone named until nhl draft ; import draft is concluded. Raftis in discussion with Dubas will surely find
a good replacement. Someone we won't even know about but in the mean time he are some names which will be speculated but I don't expect any
of these guys to be named head coach :
Joe Cirella; Ryan Ward; Jordan Smith; John Porco; Bob Jones; David Matsos; Vince Laise;
if discussions are made by Raftis and Dubas you will not seeJordan Smith or John Porco? or David Matsos

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Hoping the next coach can/will have a handle on players who like to party too much....especially in the middle of the playoffs! Can't help thinking that SOME of the boys being in the bars alot during the playoffs didn't help the team during those 7 game series.

Oh well another off season of "what if." Enjoy the summer everyone, and be safe! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad